Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boyne GP 2015

• 24-02-2015 6:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭

Boyne GP will take place on Sun 15th March following the same format as last year.Racing will be on the same 12km circuit as usual,with sign on in Ryans pub Gormalough approx. 6km out of Slane village on the Kells Rd.As per previous it is officially a Drogheda Whlrs event but is a race put on by a collection of the usual suspects.Would appreciate any offers of help if you can please get in touch.
    As its still March one day licences will be available at the current Cycling Ireland prices.
    Sign on will open at 9.00am in the pub.
    Parking will be strictly ONLY in the designated field about 200 mtrs from sign on venue.
    Programme
    10.30am A4 race 5 x laps 60km
    10.33 am Womens race[numbers depending]Not on Nat league series this yr but we will accommodate them numbers depending.4 x laps 48km

12.30 A1/A2 Race 8 x laps 96km
    12.33 A3/Jun Race 6 x laps 72km
    Sign on fee e15 Juniors e10
    Again if you can drive or marshall or help at all please contact me.Have already help from members of 6 x clubs..Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭wav1

All just a bump on this one..With a few cancellations in the coming weeks we want to make sure that everything runs as smoothly as possible on the day..Everything almost sorted but would still appreciate offers of help.Garda cover is expected so we need to dot the i's and cross the t's for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Sorry to be missing this one. Great race last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭butterworth

Hi, what time will sign-ups close for A3? Might need to get a train from Dublin to Drogheda and probably wouldn't be at the pub until 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Shame it's Mothers Day, Sat might have been a better bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Inquitus wrote: »
    Shame it's Mothers Day, Sat might have been a better bet.

Indeed. It could be a bit of a challenge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

bcmf wrote: »
    Indeed. It could be a bit of a challenge.

Yea. I've been trying to figure out how to get to this without coming home to changed locks since I spoke to you yesterday morning about it!

Mothers Day will have to be moved to Monday. Its the only realistic solution!

Mothers Day will have to be moved to Monday. Its the only realistic solution!

Mothering Monday, goes much better than Mothering Sunday anyways!

Mothering Monday, goes much better than Mothering Sunday anyways!

Agreed. Mothering Monday it is. Problem solved!

Doyler since your woman friend is of foreign extraction you can tell her that it happens every so often here and no one gets upset!

Agreed. Mothering Monday it is. Problem solved!

Doyler since your woman friend is of foreign extraction you can tell her that it happens every so often here and no one gets upset!

You know, I get stung with a 'name day' that I have to buy her another gift for in addition to her birthday. Bloody Polish, they'd holiday at the opening of a building.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    You know, I get stung with a 'name day' that I have to buy her another gift for in addition to her birthday. Bloody Polish, they'd holiday at the opening of a building.

I'd imagine that name day is about as real as mothering Monday, this is simply payback for it :)

@Lusk Doyle
    FFS will you edit or delete that post. If that 'day' becomes common knowledge they will all be at it.

Hi, what time will sign-ups close for A3? Might need to get a train from Dublin to Drogheda and probably wouldn't be at the pub until 11.
    Open until 12.15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

b o m p

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Mothers Day special available at the Boyne GP.Available to all Mothers..As a once off you can come and watch your sons race from the roadside.Absouloutely no charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭splanagan22

Forgive me if I'm asking a silly question.
    Was planning on starting racing this year. Would like this race to be my first as I live close. What do I need to enter. Is it just a case of turning up. Paying fee and on with the race. I am not a member of any cycling club?

Forgive me if I'm asking a silly question.
    Was planning on starting racing this year. Would like this race to be my first as I live close. What do I need to enter. Is it just a case of turning up. Paying fee and on with the race. I am not a member of any cycling club?
    Crazy as it seems,up until April 1st yes you can do that.
    Let me explain,
    There are one day licences available at all events until April 1st which must be bought before you can enter
    Cost no non Cycling Ireland member is e20[I think]
    Entry fee is separate to the licence fee,
    Not sure what kind of experience you have,but there has been debate after debate on here re new inexperienced riders just showing up and racing,so I would suggest that maybe you should go down the club league type of race first.
    As I said earlier,its within the rules to buy the one day licence and race if you wish,and I wont turn anyone away,but just pointing out that maybe a bit of expeience might be better gained in a smaller type of race setting.

wav1 wrote: »
    Mothers Day special available at the Boyne GP.Available to all Mothers..As a once off you can come and watch your sons race from the roadside.Absouloutely no charge.

Ha ha! Nice! Sadly (well not really) the mother in my house is my wife and her son is too young for her to go watch racing!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

What about mothers themselves getting to race for free? Now there's a Mother's Day special ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭splanagan22

Crazy as it seems,up until April 1st yes you can do that.
    Let me explain,
    There are one day licences available at all events until April 1st which must be bought before you can enter
    Cost no non Cycling Ireland member is e20[I think]
    Entry fee is separate to the licence fee,
    Not sure what kind of experience you have,but there has been debate after debate on here re new inexperienced riders just showing up and racing,so I would suggest that maybe you should go down the club league type of race first.
    As I said earlier,its within the rules to buy the one day licence and race if you wish,and I wont turn anyone away,but just pointing out that maybe a bit of expeience might be better gained in a smaller type of race setting.

Many thanks for your honest reply. I'm into triathlons and the bike is by far my strongest split. I have plenty of tri and sportive experience and this year I said I would race but maybe a little later in the year. For this one I think it's best to drop out and have a look at study the race day. Looking forward to viewing the races.

• Advertisement

gadetra wrote: »
    What about mothers themselves getting to race for free? Now there's a Mother's Day special ;)
    You've got yourself a deal...Do they have to bring childrens allowance book to sign on instead of licence or how do we tell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Is there a link to the course?
    Does it end with an uphill?

You've got yourself a deal...Do they have to bring childrens allowance book to sign on instead of licence or how do we tell?

They bring the kids and you can mind them while they race!

They bring the kids and you can mind them while they race!
    Easy cowboy..had me hand full of mini wavs for far too long

mathie wrote: »
    Is there a link to the course?
    Does it end with an uphill?
    Yes draggy for about 2 k to the finish.Maybe some of the posters here could help with a link from previous editions.Sorry im useless at that stuff...Lennymc help

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

A general look of tiredness and worry, loitering about the loo in fear of retribution caused by a breakfast cooked by the least experienced mini cooks in the business...

Yes draggy for about 2 k to the finish.Maybe some of the posters here could help with a link from previous editions.Sorry im useless at that stuff...Lennymc help

This is the lap on Strava

http://www.strava.com/segments/4197837

Note the finish is at the top of the drag and usually the start is at the left turn at the top of the drag.

All good to go now.Lead cars,motos,and marshalls all gathered now.Ambulance and paramedics confirmed and thanks to all the helpers from the local crew who have come on board.Just a final reminder that the parking will be in a field 200 mtrs from the sign on.No cars to be parked on the junction at the pub as they caused a few problems last yr.

There are now orange coloured arrows at junctions on the N51 Slane/Navan signposted to sign on venue.Route marked and all good to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Farloo

Does anybody know about how many did the A4 race last year?

Farloo wrote: »
    Does anybody know about how many did the A4 race last year?
    80ish from memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭onimpulse

Many thanks for your honest reply. I'm into triathlons and the bike is by far my strongest split. I have plenty of tri and sportive experience and this year I said I would race but maybe a little later in the year. For this one I think it's best to drop out and have a look at study the race day. Looking forward to viewing the races.

I came from triathlon to cycle racing a few years ago, the bike was my strongest of the three too but it's very different. Have you done much group cycling? A lot of triathletes I know cycle alone or in small groups and that just won't prepare you for a race. You need to be able to anticipate and react to the other bikes around you, if you aren't used to riding in a large group then it's very easy to cause a crash.

If you're lacking group riding skills, I'd suggest getting the group training cycles in (if you don't already?) and finding a local club league. If you're confident about your bunch riding skills and bike handing then maybe do jump in tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Should I or shouldn't I, should I or shouldn't I. I just can't my mind up about tomorrow. fond memories of last year and being from the area tips in favour of doing it but I'm just after a 16hr race last weekend so don't know if the body could handle it! Can someone please decide for me ☺ ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Bambaata wrote: »
    Should I or shouldn't I, should I or shouldn't I. I just can't my mind up about tomorrow. fond memories of last year and being from the area tips in favour of doing it but I'm just after a 16hr race last weekend so don't know if the body could handle it! Can someone please decide for me ☺ ??

Do it, do it, do it.

Huge thanks to all the helpers and riders today for a great days racing at Boyne GP.Another win for Sean Mc Kenna in A1/A2 and some great racing in all events.Congrats on our own Demot Healy who has gone from A4 to A3 in 8 days..Again thanks to all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 368 ✭✭keoclassic

After a disastrous day, Can I say thanks again to the Orwell rider who picked me up and gave me a lift back to the finish after i punctured.............after getting dropped in the A3.Thanks again lad, I dont think I got your name but Im sure ill see you again on the road.Cheers.

Thanks to Wav1, the promoting club and all the helpers. As always an excellent race, really enjoyed it, and home in time to take the missus and the kids out to dinner for Mothers Day, can't complain, except for the eijet Triathlete who tried to go through a gap that wasn't there on the fast descent on the main road and nearly took me out at 60kph coming from behind and nearly hooking my bars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Just wondering. How do you know, he was a triathlete.
    I understood, that knee length socks and sleeveless jerseys had been banned.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Just wondering. How do you know, he was a triathlete.
    I understood, that knee length socks and sleeveless jerseys had been banned.

His kit, maybe I am maligning Triathletes unfairly, but I took the kit to be a Tri Clubs kit, from viewing it, certainly wasn't a cycle clubs, perhaps he was unattached, and I am incorrect, either way lucky I had a very firm grip on the bars at the time and bounced him without going down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

No, No, No.
    Triathletes cannot be maligned unfairly.
    Anybody, who even vaguely resembles a triathlete, should be barred.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭calistro

Huge thanks to all the helpers and riders today for a great days racing at Boyne GP.Another win for Sean Mc Kenna in A1/A2 and some great racing in all events.Congrats on our own Demot Healy who has gone from A4 to A3 in 8 days..Again thanks to all.

Thanks Wav1 & co. for a great race today. Great marshaling/lead cars & moto's, and a v.good talking to about the do's & don't before the A4 race started!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

Congrats on a great race today, from all at wexford wheelers

• Registered Users Posts: 38 rayquinn1

+1 on the good talking to before the A4 race. Was probably a safer race because of it, with the large field involved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

rayquinn1 wrote: »
    +1 on the good talking to before the A4 race. Was probably a safer race because of it, with the large field involved

How many A4s were there?

mathie wrote: »
    How many A4s were there?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Abbey47

I was in the a4 race yesterday, new to the whole thing but thought it was very well organised and marshalled. Tough enough going after turning off the main rd at the castle each lap! Well done to all involved int organising. 👍

The ever green Sean Lally finished in the A3 bunch yesterday, not bad for a man in his 70's!

A cape was handed in to us yesterday..If the genuine owner gets in touch with a description and brand etc of what they are missing i'll organise getting it to them...Wav

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Dogtanian7

His kit, maybe I am maligning Triathletes unfairly, but I took the kit to be a Tri Clubs kit, from viewing it, certainly wasn't a cycle clubs, perhaps he was unattached, and I am incorrect, either way lucky I had a very firm grip on the bars at the time and bounced him without going down.

I don't usually comment but that would have been me, I only realised I had a tri Jersey before the race but I am unattached. (Maybe I was still breaking the rules?) Anyway, I've been a cyclist for a good few years and I would have put money on you coming through the gap. Anyway, it was about the closest I've come to crashing as well. A good A3 race with lots of efforts, well done to all and especially the organisers

Dogtanian7 wrote: »
    I don't usually comment but that would have been me, I only realised I had a tri Jersey before the race but I am unattached. (Maybe I was still breaking the rules?) Anyway, I've been a cyclist for a good few years and I would have put money on you coming through the gap. Anyway, it was about the closest I've come to crashing as well. A good A3 race with lots of efforts, well done to all and especially the organisers

No harm done in the end but if it was you, you weren't far off bringing us both down at close to 70kph going through a gap that wasn't there and really wasn't worth going for, those kind of risks aren't worth taking, neither of us want to end up in an ambulance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement