Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you ackowledge other runners or walkers while running?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    A bit off topic, but does anyone else do 'twisty-neck' when passing runners on the road? (Obviously not when driving... :rolleyes: ) such a bad habit of mine :o

Yes! :D

Is he/she going faster than me?
    Is he/she more fcuked than me?
    Has he/she got nicer calves than me?

Passing runners coming in the opposite direction counts as my strides/intervals too. As soon as I see someone, *especially* if I know them, I speed up like a mofo until I'm past them. Then when they can't see me I die :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I tend to give the nod most of the time - I find women in their 30s and 40s and middle aged men are most likely to return it. Just politeness and a little bit of camraderie really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

My favourite one is the mutual nod of acknowledged craziness when you're battling through gale force winds and getting the face bayte off ya by hailstones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I don't actively do it, but will reciprocate if someone else does. I'm usually listening to a podcast and in another world when I'm running.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭kookiebrew

on a similar note, was running today on country rds and an auld lad cycled up next to me... howrya been trying to catch up with you for the last mile, where are you coming from, who are you married to from there, ohh I knew her father, how long are you living there, are you running long, are you gonna keep up the running... at this stage I was about 5 mile into my tempo run and not in the mood for talking... he finally turned into a house... besht of luck now... and other people have to worry about saying hello to other runners...

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭physiopad

That is not consistent with my own experience at all (and also represents a couple of rather sweeping generalizations).

A real runner isn't male. Being a real runner has nothing to do with gender. Being a real runner has nothing to do with how fast you run, how frequently, or how far. It is not related to body shape or body weight. It is not related to how you look, what you wear, or where and when you run. For a 'real runner', running is not something you 'do', but one of the myriad of things that defines you as a person. A real runner does not care how others perceive them, but rather, cares about how they feel at a particular point in time. A real runner recognizes that he/she is part of a larger fraternity, a brotherhood (or sisterhood) of runners. A real runner will always stop to help another runner in distress (unless it is gastric distress). A real runner wouldn't pass within 2 feet of another runner, without, at a minimum, making eye contact and acknowledging the existence of the other runner. Rain holds no fear for a real runner. A real runner has pooped outdoors at least once. A real runner visits a forum like this, not to look for slights or reasons to be offended, but rather to share experiences and learn how to be a better runner. Above all, a real runner runs, not because they have to, but because they want to.

/end I have a dream speech mode.

meryl_gif_oscars.gif.CROP.original-original.gif

kookiebrew wrote: »
    ...he finally turned into a house...

I heard of frogs turning into princes but...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

I always try to make some kind of an acknowledgement when I meet other runners although I feel like a bit of a d1ck when I fly past someone struggling and say "hi ya".Some people don't return the acknowledgement others do I don't mind, been polite cost nothing so I'll continue to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Ran 7 miles today, not many runners on a friday morning, think I only encountered 1 other runner strangely, but he didn't acknowledge my salute :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I've only ever done it once, saw a guy doing laps around the park, met him on the way out and said hello. I wouldn't think of doing it mid run, runners I pass always seem so focused on the run I wouldn't want to distract them. If someone waves or smiles or says hi to me I would reciprocate, its never happened yet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

We regularly get some well known runners in our local park. Some acknowledge and some don't so interesting to see how it varies even with the internationals and elites:

Fionnuala Britton - a glance in my direction and nice smile
    Mary Cullen - didn't appear to see me and whizzed by
    Sophie Duarte - A really nice friendly smile and a 'hi'
    Gary O'Hanlon - passing by me going in same direction - no acknowledgment
    Barbara Sanchez - no acknowledgement

Edit: Oh I forgot! Belcarra - a half a hello :)

anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Ososlo wrote: »
    We regularly get some well known runners in our local park. Some acknowledge and some don't so interesting to see how it varies even with the internationals and elites:

Kit 3...a middle finger followed by a kick in d crackers

anyone else?
    fyp

ultraman1 wrote: »
    fyp

:D

anyone else?

Have met World Champion Rob Heffernan out training and gotten a very friendly hello and he was flying along. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭kookiebrew

I heard of frogs turning into princes but...

He was a farmer from Mayo, they're all built like Brick sh1t houses....

Running in limerick this evening and passed about 8 other runners, I said hiya to all them and all replied in some way except one girl, everyone that replied I said to myself they must have read this post. Had a nice smile to myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Ed Mc

physiopad wrote:
    Have met World Champion Rob Heffernan out training and gotten a very friendly hello and he was flying along. 

He might be able to help ososlo's mate out in the MARATHON

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

When out running a mountain trail I've came across a girl on her own a few times and she won't say hello/acknowledge me, I just put it down to her being cautious.
    But I came across this girl again whilist out walking with my wife, and she didn't look up to say hello,
    Just find it extremely rude,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well if she's only a girl, maybe she's a bit shy of grown-ups? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

Training in city parks you would be saying hello every couple of seconds if you were to acknowledge ever runner:eek:
    Most of the time I'm so tuned out I don't notice anyone else. The amount of times friends have accused me of ignoring them, I honestly didn't see or hear them.

• Advertisement

Just walk away:pac:

kit3 wrote: »
    If we all did that when asked for help the world would be a poorer place - would hate to see this place get so elitist that we can't entertain the thoughts of someone walking a 10k - we all started somewhere

ah ffs you're really starting to annoy me now.
    She doesn't want to start running. She wants to walk the fcuking thing! This is a RUNNING forum. We all started somewhere that lead to running. She wants to walk not run. I offered to do a run/walk plan but she didn't want it. she wants walking plan.

elitist... ffs.. me elitist. I've heard it all now.
    All I did was have a stupid harmless little rant. I thought you were going to let it go!!!!

If we all did that when asked for help the world would be a poorer place - would hate to see this place get so elitist that we can't entertain the thoughts of someone walking a 10k - we all started somewhere
    I was joking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Deleting my posts - life's too short for petty squabbling over a difference of opinion.

For the record I agree with you, but I knew O was just having a rant and I wasn't going to disagree with her. I'm afraid of her. Did you ever read her log, she's as mad as a hatter, running, thats all she ever thinks about. Complete bonkers:D

Chill - would hate to see how you would react if someone
    had a serious disagreement with you - all that angst can't be good for you. As I
    said, life's too short
    ha ha please don't tell me to chill again unless you really want to see me angst-ridden :)
    I thought it was all forgotten about yesterday. I had certainly forgotten about it until you dragged it up again today.
    ridiculous...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Please stop the petty squabbling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

pconn062 wrote: »
    Please stop the petty squabbling.

Sorry, I'm out of here - won't be dragged in again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

She doesn't want to start running. She wants to walk the fcuking thing! She wants to walk not run. !!
    let me recommend Mci...I'm sure they have a training plan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

ultraman1 wrote: »
    let me recommend Mci...I'm sure they have traininhg plans..

Boom!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I would whole-heartedly endorse everything KK said in his post, and very well-put it was too. In my own experience, I divide runners into two camps. There are, well, let's call them 'club runners'. These are the epitome of everything Krusty's talking about - friendly, inclusive, aware they are part of a wider community, and who nearly always acknowledge brother/sister runners. The other camp, I call iPhone runners. The machine is clamped to the arm, the headphones are on, and MapMyRun is recording the route/mileage. These, mostly, are the people who don't say hello. In my view this is because their running is different. They aren't part of a collective, a greater whole. They'll never join a running club, but they are in a gym. They go to the gym when it's raining and run on the treadmill. Their physical activities, whatever they may include, are all about 'personal fulfilment'. I suspect some of them don't really enjoy running, and that's why they are put off by bad weather or work/life-enforced inconvenience. When they run, they aren't out in the world, encountering others walking, running, cycling. They are in their zone, and the outside world doesn't really exist.

Ok, that's my no doubt massive over-generalisation done with. Now down to the specifics. Personally, I always try to acknowledge other runners, and anyone else who's willing to reciprocate, for that matter. If I'm blowing hard, doing a tempo, whatever, I mightn't be willing to spare the breath, but I'll still lift a hand. As to men being the ones who mostly do the ignoring, I'd have to disagree. In my own experience, more women than men just pass on by. I suppose it's got to do with personal security, and a perception of danger, and as a man I'm in no position to tell any woman she's mistaken in doing so, but I still think it's regrettable. I nearly always say hello to female runners, and if I get a response, great. If not, no harm. I certainly don't subscribe to the "say nothing in case they think you're a lech" view. that's more than a bit insecure, I'd have to say.

As for running on the road, for all the reasons mentioned above, I do it too, unless I think it's actively dangerous. My reply to any drivers who challenge me, or cyclists for that matter, and to be honest I've only experienced it, once, with the latter - is always the same. "When did you last drive/park/cycle on the path?" That's right, the last time you felt like it, or it suited you to do so. Now fcuk off out of my face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

It seems then that 'in general' guys will respond to guys and girls will respond to girls :-) ill be very interested to see if there's any change on my lunchtime run down the quays on Monday if any of those runners read this thread :-)

Another reason for running on roads v footpath is tarmac is less harsh on the joints than concrete apparently. I find a little wave of thanks wards off potential angry drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Murph_D wrote: »
    Well if she's only a girl, maybe she's a bit shy of grown-ups? :pac:

She's a grown up girl, :-)
    Didn't think too much of it when she didn't say hello to me on my own, but when I met her the 2nd time i was with my wife,

On another note my mother brought us kids to djiouce one Stephens day and we met a priest he didn't say hello either, scared the crap out of my mother she hasn't been back since and has never forgotten it either,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

Sum up of today's run
    7 runners - 4 female and 3 male
    Said hello or waved at each of them, ignored by all females and 1 male
    Defo not a gender thing!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Trail run in Djouce woods today, everyone said hello but it was definitely along the lines of 'greetings you fellow nutters' (rain, sleet and snow) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

anyone else?

A "good man" from Eamon Coughlan one day while running around the Munich mile, although he wasn't running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Passed many runners as I ran a miracle 14 miles in hail and floods, the only person to acknowledge me was a female pedestrian,I made an effort to at least casually acknowledge most,just didn't seem to be on their agenda though......

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Passed many runners as I ran a miracle 14 miles in hail and floods, the only person to acknowledge me was a female pedestrian,I made an effort to at least casually acknowledge most,just didn't seem to be on their agenda though......

Got a "well god bless yer energy" from a nice old lady this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Wvrunner

Yes you should. When I run in USA, everyone nods or smiles or gives you the thumbs up- cyclists are the best!!! It lifts your day. I started a Facebook page AFA- acknowledge your Fellow Athletes to bring attention to this. I'm not a super speedy runner- Im slow and awkward but I'm out there doing the best I can- and for a speedy guy/girl just to acknowledge my effort- well, it makes a huge difference in my run that day- so yes- just nod- it will make you feel good too!!!

• Advertisement

20 miler yesterday. Passed many people: walkers, cyclists, runners. We're in a group of a Sunday morning, so the dynamics of that mean that cycling groups tend to acknowledge us en masse- we're like two flocks of birds tipping the hat to each other or something- meanwhile many walkers, who that early tend to be older and more regular, will say hello or good morning. I did notice one lone female who ran towards us. I was in the lead, and bade her a cheery hello. She went past stone-faced, which had I been on my own would have put down to female caution around lone males. So I asked the guy behind me, and she had blanked everyone; which I have to say is curious. On the other hand, while coming down a steep hill in the waterworks, I encountered two attractive young women. Now A) I was alone, and B) the location could be considered somewhat remote. Yet I got big smiles and hellos from both of them. It cheered me right up, I have to say. Faith in womankind restored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

If you are out for a hike in the Wicklow mountains, do you say hello to every hiker you pass? If out for a long beach walk, do you say hello to everyone you pass who is doing likewise? People taking this too seriously and reading way too much into it. They could just be tired towards the end of a long run, in the middle of a fast session, or perhaps in the zone and completely focused on their running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Chivito550 wrote: »
    If you are out for a hike in the Wicklow mountains, do you say hello to every hiker you pass? If out for a long beach walk, do you say hello to everyone you pass who is doing likewise? People taking this too seriously and reading way too much into it. They could just be tired towards the end of a long run, in the middle of a fast session, or perhaps in the zone and completely focused on their running.

Actually, yes... in my experience hikers in the mountains always greet each other...

Beach is different.

Some of it depends on the part of the country and how many people are around, in Donegal everybody says hello...

On the seafront in Clontarf where I run regularly, there are loads of runners on the grass track... you often have to move aside for each other or pass quite close and in my experience, almost none of them nod, say hello or even look me in the eye. Since listening to people on here complaining about this, I always look at oncoming runners eagerly, ready to greet them... only to be blanked. :p

It doesn't bother me in the slightest though, if I'm running by myself I'm in a world of my own and that's half the appeal. If I wanted to be where everyone knows my name, I'd still be living in Donegal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

davedanon wrote: »
    20 miler yesterday. Passed many people: walkers, cyclists, runners. We're in a group of a Sunday morning, so the dynamics of that mean that cycling groups tend to acknowledge us en masse- we're like two flocks of birds tipping the hat to each other or something- meanwhile many walkers, who that early tend to be older and more regular, will say hello or good morning. I did notice one lone female who ran towards us. I was in the lead, and bade her a cheery hello. She went past stone-faced, which had I been on my own would have put down to female caution around lone males. So I asked the guy behind me, and she had blanked everyone; which I have to say is curious. On the other hand, while coming down a steep hill in the waterworks, I encountered two attractive young women. Now A) I was alone, and B) the location could be considered somewhat remote. Yet I got big smiles and hellos from both of them. It cheered me right up, I have to say. Faith in womankind restored.
    You didn't feel threatened? It was two against one after all :)

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    You didn't feel threatened? It was two against one after all :)

My God, I never looked at it like that. I should have kept my head down and said nothing. A boy can't be too careful after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

annapr wrote: »
    Actually, yes... in my experience hikers in the mountains always greet each other...

Beach is different.

Some of it depends on the part of the country and how many people are around, in Donegal everybody says hello...

On the seafront in Clontarf where I run regularly, there are loads of runners on the grass track... you often have to move aside for each other or pass quite close and in my experience, almost none of them nod, say hello or even look me in the eye. Since listening to people on here complaining about this, I always look at oncoming runners eagerly, ready to greet them... only to be blanked. :p

It doesn't bother me in the slightest though, if I'm running by myself I'm in a world of my own and that's half the appeal. If I wanted to be where everyone knows my name, I'd still be living in Donegal!

I run along there quite a lot too and always say 'hello' - we must look out for each other :-)

In response to the original query -- I think I always say 'hello' or nod, or lift a hand in greeting. I'm sure there are times when I don't if I'm distracted or my vision is blurred by torrential rain or something, but I generally do and I would have said about 80% of people greet me in return. I don't know if I can generalise about who does and who doesn't, but definitely older runners (60+) almost always do. I don't really mind, I like if people do, but each to their own.

When I had a mini, and before that a VW campervan, we always waved at other mini and VW drivers too, so I think it's a 'shared hobby' kind of wave / hello.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I run along there quite a lot too and always say 'hello' - we must look out for each other :-)

In response to the original query -- I think I always say 'hello' or nod, or lift a hand in greeting. I'm sure there are times when I don't if I'm distracted or my vision is blurred by torrential rain or something, but I generally do and I would have said about 80% of people greet me in return. I don't know if I can generalise about who does and who doesn't, but definitely older runners (60+) almost always do. I don't really mind, I like if people do, but each to their own.

When I had a mini, and before that a VW campervan, we always waved at other mini and VW drivers too, so I think it's a 'shared hobby' kind of wave / hello.

we'll have to work out a secret wave so we know each other :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

If photos of me running are anything to go by, I am the one with the mad, hunted look in her eyes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It is definitely dependant on location, surrounding scenery, time of day and also season, as to how wavey other runners are to other runners. It is curious though when running around an otherwise +ve area for runners greeting each other than on one day you may only encounter people who are just head down and ignoring you.

Fair enough when it's one person doing so, and I've been that person on rare occasions no doubt, but when everyone you meet going the other way is like that it doesn't make sense and you start to wonder if your mugshot had appeared on that evenings local news for some reason and they are ignoring you because of that. It is just weird on some days when everyone doesn't notice you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Chivito550 wrote: »
    If you are out for a hike in the Wicklow mountains, do you say hello to every hiker you pass?

Yes, and quite often more than just a hello. But that's different than running past someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

That is not consistent with my own experience at all (and also represents a couple of rather sweeping generalizations).

A real runner isn't male. Being a real runner has nothing to do with gender. Being a real runner has nothing to do with how fast you run, how frequently, or how far. It is not related to body shape or body weight. It is not related to how you look, what you wear, or where and when you run. For a 'real runner', running is not something you 'do', but one of the myriad of things that defines you as a person. A real runner does not care how others perceive them, but rather, cares about how they feel at a particular point in time. A real runner recognizes that he/she is part of a larger fraternity, a brotherhood (or sisterhood) of runners. A real runner will always stop to help another runner in distress (unless it is gastric distress). A real runner wouldn't pass within 2 feet of another runner, without, at a minimum, making eye contact and acknowledging the existence of the other runner. Rain holds no fear for a real runner. A real runner has pooped outdoors at least once. A real runner visits a forum like this, not to look for slights or reasons to be offended, but rather to share experiences and learn how to be a better runner. Above all, a real runner runs, not because they have to, but because they want to.

/end I have a dream speech mode.

I very nearly became a real runner this morning, but managed to get back just in time. I'll blame the airline food and pulled pork sandwich from last night :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement