Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you ackowledge other runners or walkers while running?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

should i also say hello to people with the same phone as me?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭kookiebrew

Maybe someone should create an app for all those runners with their phones on that says hello to other people for them.... Would be scary if there was a lot of runners together though, would be like Stephen Hawkings on speed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

annapr wrote: »

On the seafront in Clontarf where I run regularly, there are loads of runners on the grass track... you often have to move aside for each other or pass quite close and in my experience, almost none of them nod, say hello or even look me in the eye. Since listening to people on here complaining about this, I always look at oncoming runners eagerly, ready to greet them... only to be blanked. :p
    I run there at lunch time most days, and there's a handful of people I see every day, and we always greet. There's a few others who keep the head down and that's fine, including a guy who works in the same building as me, which I do find a bit weird.

There's another few who look like they might be about to say hello, but then don't. Maybe we are both waiting for the other to go first, or we look away at the wrong time, or I'm just not working hard enough and thinking about it too much. But, I've been sick for the last two weeks. Hope to get out again tomorrow, and will be saying hello to all and sundry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

When walking, most of the time there tends to be an acknowledgment 'good morning' 'lovely weather' 'hi' or something .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

MarkY91 wrote: »
    should i also say hello to people with the same phone as me?

You shouldn't need an excuse to say hello to someone. I usually say hello to whoever I meet when out walking the dogs. But that may have me labeled locally as a weirdo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Wvrunner

Talking about runners why run on the road when the footpath is beside you :mad:

Because the footpath is uneven, has overgrown trees on it, dog poo, glass - need I go on whereas the roads tend to be cleanerðŸ˜႒ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Like has been said already I think time of day, weather, location and other factors have a part to play in who says hello or not. Lone female runners, in my personal experience, are the least likely to say hello. I dont know if thats down to fear or safety issues or something else? I find older women though(say 50s and above)are very friendly and will always greet me with a smile and a big hello. Blokes, 90% of the time, will give you the nod. I can understand this as theyre probably too fooked to do anything else. Actually anytime ive not tried to greet anyone was only when I was absolutley wasted and at the end of a session or long run. But either way I dont mind, if someone doesnt wanna say hello thats fine, I never take it personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Wvrunner wrote: »
    Because the footpath is uneven, has overgrown trees on it, dog poo, glass - need I go on whereas the roads tend to be cleanerðŸ˜႒ðŸ˜႒

Also footpaths tend to be concrete which is murder on the joints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Ed Mc

I acknowledge everyone, runners, walkers, cyclists, farmers in fields ,drivers in cars, flippin' everyone.
    It's purely selfish, I run alone and it breaks the monotony and gets me out of my own head for a few seconds.
    Luckily I live in Donegal and as said earlier they almost always reply.
    I'm not a local but the waves and beeps certainly gives me a feeling of being one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Ed Mc wrote: »
    I acknowledge everyone, runners, walkers, cyclists, farmers in fields ,drivers in cars, flippin' everyone.
    It's purely selfish, I run alone and it breaks the monotony and gets me out of my own head for a few seconds.
    Luckily I live in Donegal and as said earlier they almost always reply.
    I'm not a local but the waves and beeps certainly gives me a feeling of being one.

Ah, the famous Donegal one-fingered wave... has been known to confuse visitors...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Ed Mc

annapr wrote: »
    Ah, the famous Donegal one-fingered wave... has been known to confuse visitors...

I learned to drive in Donegal (late in life) the one fingered waves all I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

was out this morning and three single unattached unaccompanied lady runners said hello to me. As did the few accompanied ladies. And the blokes. I even got a wave from across a 4-lane road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

When passing a female runner I find giving them a playful slap on the bum and a jovial 'keep it up sweety' is always appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

gerard_65 wrote: »
    When passing a female runner I find giving them a playful slap on the bum and a jovial 'keep it up sweety' is always appreciated.

I like your style. I'll try that tonight and let you know how i get on.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Finally got an acknowledgment from a somewhat familiar male face, don't know who he is, but our paths have crossed many times :) Earlier, somewhat bizarrely an oldish man mimicked grabbing me, jumping from side to side, no idea if he was sober or not, but clearly thought he was being funny.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

New to this running lark, generally I give a nod of the head of the head, not wearing my glasses when running so can't see if they've done it first or if they reciprocate but I couldn't care less especially if I'm spitting feathers at that stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭Vito Andolini

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Got a few hellos on my usual IFSC to Ringsend run. I think the sun brings out the crazy in people

Advertisement