Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours' Barking Dog

• 24-02-2015 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi all, I'm literally at my wit send here and would appreciate any advice-although I've exhausted a lot of ideas already.

My neighbours Labrador barks almost constantly right outside my window. I live in a one storey flat at the back of my parents house.
    The dog is left out from 7:00 am to midnight EVERY day. I have to get up very early for work so I'm getting about 6 hours sleep every night and less at the weekend (they keep him out all night on Friday and Saturday). It's really affecting my work now too I'm a bit worried about that.
    The thing is my neighbours are really nice and I've mentioned it a few times but to no avail. They just said they take him at night and shrug.

I've bought two different ultrasonic dog silencers that have done nothing to stop him (they were very expensive too).
    I spend my time at home with earplugs and industrial grade earmuffs on and that makes it just about bearable.
    This dog has NEVER left the concrete garden, never been walked (since I've lived here for three years) and I realise he's bored out of his mind but the neighbours don't seem to care.
    They never clean his faeces up either so the poor thing never leaves his dog house. I feel so sorry for it in this weather too.

I suppose is there anything else I can do to stop or dissuade it? I'd also appeal to people who leave their barking dogs out all the time to be more considerate. It really is a nightmare. Don't get a dog if you can't put the time into giving it a happy life and training it to not affect other people. It's actually disgusting!
    'I can't hear it so f*ck everyone else'

Sorry guys I'm just really stressed out about it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Report the dogs condition to the DSPCA. The dog certainly doesn't deserve to live in conditions like that, I'd consider it cruelty myself. I don't know what exactly they'd be able to do but it wouldn't hurt to give them a call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

4wardpass wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm literally at my wit send here and would appreciate any advice-although I've exhausted a lot of ideas already.

My neighbours Labrador barks almost constantly right outside my window. I live in a one storey flat at the back of my parents house.
    The dog is left out from 7:00 am to midnight EVERY day. I have to get up very early for work so I'm getting about 6 hours sleep every night and less at the weekend (they keep him out all night on Friday and Saturday). It's really affecting my work now too I'm a bit worried about that.
    The thing is my neighbours are really nice and I've mentioned it a few times but to no avail. They just said they take him at night and shrug.

I've bought two different ultrasonic dog silencers that have done nothing to stop him (they were very expensive too).
    I spend my time at home with earplugs and industrial grade earmuffs on and that makes it just about bearable.
    This dog has NEVER left the concrete garden, never been walked (since I've lived here for three years) and I realise he's bored out of his mind but the neighbours don't seem to care.
    They never clean his faeces up either so the poor thing never leaves his dog house. I feel so sorry for it in this weather too.

I suppose is there anything else I can do to stop or dissuade it? I'd also appeal to people who leave their barking dogs out all the time to be more considerate. It really is a nightmare. Don't get a dog if you can't put the time into giving it a happy life and training it to not affect other people. It's actually disgusting!
    'I can't hear it so f*ck everyone else'

Sorry guys I'm just really stressed out about it.

I don't think your neighbours are "nice" at all . They are being cruel to that poor dog and disregarding your requests for a bit of peace. I would report them to the dog warden, the ISPCA and the Guards. Also I would tell them to look after their dog properly.
    This is my toned down response as I despise people who treat animals this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

You can log a call online on each ispca website. outline everything you've said here including the faeces.
    I'd also contact dog warden in you're local authority.
    First though I'd call to neighbours again and explain that it's affecting your sleep and that disturbing the whole neighborhood ( has to be!).
    Offer to contact a local rescue and rehome the dog for them. Feck them if they don't take it in the right way- they're inconsiderate ignorant neighbours and totally cruel to that our dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

More suitable here OP. RI is for relationship issues.
    For anyone who has followed this thread please read the local charter before posting.

Thanks
    Taltos

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

Just throwing this out there. How about you find a new home for the dog without them knowing? Assuming they don't care about the dog.

Are they old and just aren't able for walking the dog and cleaning up after it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭qhe0i9zvfgdou8

In my experience it's a waste of time reporting it to the dog warden. I am familiar with a similar case where two dogs were in a garden barking continuously. The garden was absolutely covered in dog dirt.
    The warden came out and said so long as the dog has food and shelter there's nothing he can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I'd call the warden again, and insist they do something. I would also call the council and report a noise nuisance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 130 ✭✭stuboy01

Op. Had this problem with a neighbour 4DOORs down the road. Sheep dog kept in a ten foot square yard from 7 am until 7 in evening. An effing sheep dog! Here's the process. You download a form from your local county or city council website. Inform the neighbours in writing that if nothing is done you will submit the form for the removal of the dog. Worked for me. Its cruelty. When I first complained to them I got a shrug of shoulders and ' she's a rescue dog what can we do?' In my mind that makes it worse. Take in a rescue dog and chain it in a yard for 12 hours a day. Blood boils!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

stuboy01 wrote: »
    Op. Had this problem with a neighbour 4DOORs down the road. Sheep dog kept in a ten foot square yard from 7 am until 7 in evening. An effing sheep dog! Here's the process. You download a form from your local county or city council website. Inform the neighbours in writing that if nothing is done you will submit the form for the removal of the dog. Worked for me. Its cruelty. When I first complained to them I got a shrug of shoulders and ' she's a rescue dog what can we do?' In my mind that makes it worse. Take in a rescue dog and chain it in a yard for 12 hours a day. Blood boils!!!

Ah jesus, that's very sad. And people wonder then why some rescues are so strict with their rehoming rules.

OP, definitely go with this suggestion. It's not fair on you and your other neighbours and it's not fair on the poor dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Sobko

Horrible situation but I've always wondered how the dog owners put up with the constant barking themselves? I'd do as suggested and download document and report. Poor dog.

• Advertisement

Make note of the times it barks, duration etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

stuboy01 wrote: »
    Op. Had this problem with a neighbour 4DOORs down the road. Sheep dog kept in a ten foot square yard from 7 am until 7 in evening. An effing sheep dog! Here's the process. You download a form from your local county or city council website. Inform the neighbours in writing that if nothing is done you will submit the form for the removal of the dog.

Well done.

People need to understand a constantly barking dog is a public nuisance (As well as being cruelty to the animal!) and there are things that can be done.

You dont just have to live with it.

Do you have to go to district Court or will the council warn the person first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

seefin wrote: »
    Do you have to go to district Court or will the council warn the person first?

We had a similar problem and we just posted them printouts of the Local regulations on noise nuisance first.

You could try that first?

Do you have other neighbours that it might be bothering as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 130 ✭✭stuboy01

Seefin, no court involvement as far as I know. It never got past the letter in their door from me in any case. after that they arranged for a parent to come and walk the dog during the morning and keep it indoors for a few hours. that lasted a month and then returned to dog outdoors all day. they then rehomed the dog...hopefully to somewhere it would be able to get exercise.

Advertisement