Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unableto access bios

Options
  • 24-02-2015 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Installed new motherboard (asus a88xm-a) recently & all was well until I installed 2 extra memory modules. Pc wouldn't boot so removed the extra memory & now while the pc boots ok it will not let me enter the bios. As prompted if I hit delete or f2 to enter bios the screen just goes blank until I hit reset & w7 starts normally. I have cleared the cmos but the issue remains. Anyone any ideas ?

Amd A6 apu
    G-skill ddr3 pc3 12800 2gb x 2
    W7 home prem 64 bit
    WD 2TB 'Green' hard drive
    Artic 650w psu

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Does pressing 'F8' key during boot bring up a bios menu?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

Doesn't f8 just bring up a boot order menu, anyway unable to check just now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

The manual is here and it says to press "delete" on post to enter the bios, which is UEFI and mouse controlled seemingly...

there might be more info in the manual...

I know what to press to enter the bios, it's just not working. Pressing del or f2 just gives me a blank screen

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Have you updated to the latest BIOS?

• Advertisement

Latest bios was already installed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

This might be caused by the GPU video resolution not syncing while in bios mode. Check your manual to see what video resolution your bios defaults to. Try using a different monitor to verify.

Also if you have more than one video adapter output try changing to one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

If changing video outputs doesn't fix it for you, try clearing your CMOS settings - there should be a jumper on the mainboard near the CMOS battery; close the jumper for about 5-10 seconds, then return it to normal, and your BIOS settings should be reset to default.

(All with power off, obviously.)

@ Degsie
    Think you are spot on with it being a display issue, although I am not exactly sure why. From the off this pc was connected to an lg 42'' plasma tv & the bios displayed without issue, at home I connected it to a 32'' techwood lcd tv, all via hdmi but this does not display the bios screen. Before seeing your post I connected it to pc monitor via vga and the bios displays

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I was going to suggest the same until I saw Deggsies post.

I have a problem machine that defaults to 60hz on a panel that only does 50Hz any time it crashes or the distro is upgraded. Results in a "BSOD" on boot despite it running.

Are you using any adapters on the cable that might screw with the EDID?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I had something similar where on a 120hz monitor I wasn't using a dual dvi cable and it was not showing properly after a bios update

Advertisement