Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Dublin secure 24/7 parking, anyone?

• 24-02-2015 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

Hey all...

Just wondering if anyone knows of a secure place to park a bike in city centre? I mean somewhere underground, secure, monitored...?

Moving apartment and the choice is really low if you require parking...

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Stay away from underground I tells ya, easiest place to rob a bike without doubt.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Sometimes true but I would never leave my bike parked outside on the street...

I seem to have problems with my management company over my bike every few months at this stage. Had more problems last week and had to move it again, I'm hoping this will be the last time..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

rat_race wrote: »
    Hey all...

Just wondering if anyone knows of a secure place to park a bike in city centre? I mean somewhere underground, secure, monitored...?

Moving apartment and the choice is really low if you require parking...

Any ideas?

I've parked in the jervis street car park a few times, it has dedicated bike spaces on the mezzanine levels. Never had bother there with the car or the bike. Not the shopping centre one, the one before it on your left as you come down from the quays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

PM sent ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭franer1970

Park at the airport and get a bus back into town :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭fear_factory84

franer1970 wrote: »
    Park at the airport and get a bus back into town :D

they said that is a good place to not see your bike again....

So why not underground parkings? Even those with cctv?
    Does anybody park its motorbike on garden or courtyard?

I'll have to find an house and I also would like to find an accomodation for my motorbike.. so I'm very interested...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

they said that is a good place to not see your bike again....

So why not underground parkings? Even those with cctv?
    Does anybody park its motorbike on garden or courtyard?

I'll have to find an house and I also would like to find an accommodation for my motorbike.. so I'm very interested...

Most if not all management companies wont allow ground anchors to be fitted. To be honest I say a bike kept in an underground car park is a thieves wet dream. I would imagine they will do a quick scout and see what bolt cutters are needed and if the bike is not secured they will just pop it straight into the back of a van. Having cctv does not worry these kind of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Most if not all management companies wont allow ground anchors to be fitted. To be honest I say a bike kept in an underground car park is a thieves wet dream. I would imagine they will do a quick scout and see what bolt cutters are needed and if the bike is not secured they will just pop it straight into the back of a van. Having cctv does not worry these kind of people.

What good is CCTV when the scumbag has a balaclava on etc.....absolute joke CCTV.

Unless its monitored by a person.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

Recently moved to up Dublin myself and have yet to get over the fear of bringing my bike up with me and leaving it outside the house ( no side gate to the back garden even), so it sits in the garage at home where I only get to ride it the odd weekend I go home - and I hate not having it here with me for a quick spin every now again.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Recently moved to up Dublin myself and have yet to get over the fear of bringing my bike up with me and leaving it outside the house ( no side gate to the back garden even), so it sits in the garage at home where I only get to ride it the odd weekend I go home - and I hate not having it here with me for a quick spin every now again.:(

Just get a decent almax chain. You'll never deter everyone, but it'll stop most people.
    What bike is it and what area are you living?

• Advertisement

Ok, a 16mm almax chain would suffice... provided you have a place where you can park your bike and a good anchor, a big lamppost or something like that.

I'll end up renting a ground floor flat and keep motorbike in living room :D landlord would surely complain (and also my girlfriend!!!)...

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

Cienciano wrote: »
    Just get a decent almax chain. You'll never deter everyone, but it'll stop most people.
    What bike is it and what area are you living?

Don't really want to post the location on a public forum so without being too specific it's in a fairly quite family estate so not exactly on the side of the street.

Currently it's a CBR 6 but am going to be upgrading to a litre machine soon, the likes of an R1/GSXR or something along those lines which would attract that sort of unwanted attention.

Putting down a ground anchor and chain and using a cover shouldn't be a problem as such. Although I'd be concerned about leaving the bike exposed to the elements. Even if it's covered, moisture and condensation would still get in and rot away at the bike over time surely?

One of these would be ideal if it wasn't so expensive...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qLemj6k4kA

One of these would be ideal if it wasn't so expensive...

ready and packed to be lifted on a truck :D:D

For corrosion search on the net about ACF-50 anti-corrosion treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

All -- thanks for the responses! I should have been clearer in what I was looking for though...it was more of a permanent parking space where I could come and go as I pleased, and would be willing to pay for it -- rather than somewhere to leave it for a few weeks. Any ideas?

Mesrine, thanks for the PM, really appreciate the generous offer -- going to PM you back now.

Btw, I successfully stored two bikes in a very small underground car park in Ushers Quay for 18 months...and some dodgy sh*t went on down there. I often had two disc-alarm locks, one or two U-locks, and one or two Oxford chains. There was an attempt on my bicycle and they didn't manage to get that! Bike cover stolen once.

I'm not as paranoid as I was...in fairness, if I took some measures and it was still nicked, I'd probably forgive myself.

Have you found a good solution to your problem?

Advertisement