Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Documentary on Froome tonight - ITV4 - 22:00

• 24-02-2015 8:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Blocked on UPC for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 Ger.O.Mahony

Feck!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Ah for fúck sake! Hmmm do ITV have a player it might be on later?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

gadetra wrote: »
    Ah for fúck sake! Hmmm do ITV have a player it might be on later?

ITV have ITV player

and there is

*snip*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I have UPC and it is on now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

His mates are nerds! Seems like a nice fella tbf

Working on the link, not on my UPC.

I have just realized that pausing it does not actually stop the action :mad: :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Streaming sites are not allowed on Boards.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

An excellent show; two things came to mind - he has impeccable manners and admirable decorum in public no matter what the context, but he has an incredible inner steel and vicious determination as a competitor. These two qualities are rarely compatible in elite sportspeople; the boxer Katie Taylor is perhaps a good local comparison. Chapeau Froomey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

1. Sneakily entering himself into the World Champs was hilarious.

2. Him crashing into that guy with the papers was also hilarious.

• Advertisement

Streaming sites are not allowed on Boards.ie.

Sorry ... I forgot it was a stream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

It's now available on YouTube:-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭lennymc

enjoyable programme, he came across very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

Up to now I never really liked the guy, seemed a bit robotic and aloof. That documentary really raised my opinion of him. As a previous poster said, he's very quiet and mannerly, but he must have some drive and determination to have come from a pretty mixed up background to where he is today.

The guys in his old cycling club in Nairobi seemed to have a lot of genuine respect for him too. I'm now a fan of Froome!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Steve SilverMint

Thanks for the YouTube link, great watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Always liked him, still like him.

Wiggins seems like even more of a prick now as well!

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    Wiggins seems like even more of a prick now as well!

I don't agree ...Wiggo won the Tour ....no one gave him the title and he is an excellent cyclist ..... so he has a volitile personailty...but he has a personality with wit and humour

I am not sure what he shoudl have done ?? Roll over and let Froome win the Tour because Froome was a better climber and give up his long worked for and only chance to win the Tour

If Wiggo lost the Tour then there may have been a justification in saying Froome should have had a 2nd Tour by now ...but I don't see it this way

As for Wiggo throwing rants and people walking on egg shells ...he must have been under great pressure and Froome's attack was that.... an attack from a team mate ..... So in his moment of glory Froome rained on his parade

Froome seems like a nice guy but very ruthless ....so no ...Wiggo is not a bigger prick now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,796 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

That whole story about Froome holding the brakes so 20 minutes to simulate the climbs is non-sense. Are we really supposed to believe that? So he cycled around with his brakes on? Or he could have just gone faster!!

This is such an obvious "hey look he's a mould breaker this one" story that it's laughable they actually included it.

This supposed total focus didn't extend to knowing the first corner of the TT course.

He comes across really well in the program, and he is a great cyclist no doubt, but why do they feel the need to make this stuff up.

Also, the whole he came from nothing, no running water etc. Good God, he went to a private boarding school in SA, he obviously had enough funds to be able to go to the Worlds etc with no backing. No doubt they had money problems but to try and equate what he had to suffer with the poverty of others in Kenya is crass.

Trying to make it look like he came from the slums

Leroy42 wrote: »
    That whole story about Froome holding the brakes so 20 minutes to simulate the climbs is non-sense. Are we really supposed to believe that? So he cycled around with his brakes on? Or he could have just gone faster!!

I do this.

edit - with the lack of any long climbs near my house, I will cycle with the brakes on, in order to keep within a certain power range on the bits that don't offer enough natural resistance so I can complete an interval without taking a break (excuse the pun).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,511 ✭✭✭Macy0161

My opinion of Froome has probably gone up a bit on the back of the documentary. I still say he was wrong in Wiggins Tour.

Walsh has gone way down in my opinion from it though. Nothing to do with anything doping/ lack doping questioning, but he was in full on fan boy mode regarding Froome and Wiggins. Froome had shown nothing up until that Vuelta, but Sky/ Wiggins were some how expected to give him his head and let him off the leash? Ditto the following Tour - Wiggins was clear leader, with the track(?) record, who Froome attacked. Also ignored he wasn't stronger in the TT's at that tour, or the olympics, unless Walsh is claiming that as Sky tactics too and Froome was holding back?

I agree re Walsh.....He sounds like he is Froome's biggest fan and saying Froome should have 2 Tours by now is ridiculous for a supposed un biased journalist

But then again I never liked Walsh becasue I feel he blows with the wind of personal opportunism

say what ye like - his recent performance against contador (and contador's against him) in the tour de andalucia makes for a very exciting season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

People always mix up character and personality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Macy0161 wrote: »
    My opinion of Froome has probably gone up a bit on the back of the documentary. I still say he was wrong in Wiggins Tour.

Walsh has gone way down in my opinion from it though. Nothing to do with anything doping/ lack doping questioning, but he was in full on fan boy mode regarding Froome and Wiggins. Froome had shown nothing up until that Vuelta, but Sky/ Wiggins were some how expected to give him his head and let him off the leash? Ditto the following Tour - Wiggins was clear leader, with the track(?) record, who Froome attacked. Also ignored he wasn't stronger in the TT's at that tour, or the olympics, unless Walsh is claiming that as Sky tactics too and Froome was holding back?

Walsh nearly made me stop watching the program. The puncture comment was uncalled for imo as Froome wasn't team leader and they also seemed to forget that the World chamipion was in the team too looking for stage wins. Froome was way down the pecking order on that tour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

lennymc wrote: »
    say what ye like - his recent performance against contador (and contador's against him) in the tour de andalucia makes for a very exciting season!

Last year's Vuelta with the two of them going at it in Asturias was as good a GT as I've seen in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,511 ✭✭✭Macy0161

nak wrote: »
    Walsh nearly made me stop watching the program. The puncture comment was uncalled for imo as Froome wasn't team leader and they also seemed to forget that the World chamipion was in the team too looking for stage wins. Froome was way down the pecking order on that tour.
    Haven't time to go back and check, but it wasn't just a puncture that day unless my memory is failing. Wasn't there splits in the bunch/ multiple crashes that day that took out other favourites? Even in the video that went with that bit on the documentary, you could see multiple groups coming in. It's not like he was left swinging on a day where nothing else happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭bwalsh1983

Contador and Froome going at it in the Asturias sounds decidely dodgy...

The doc is on the cyclinghub youtube channel for anyone that hasnt watched. Watched it this morning on the turbo. He comes across well, I like him. The David Kinja story was always the one that was told and it added great mystique to his upbringing, it did happen and it still does just that but I was completely unaware of the private boarding school and the likes. A tough upbringing but certainly not one of major hardship economically wise.

Walsh is ridiculous, a fervent pursuer of Armstrong, the truth and indpendent journalism is now blinded by Sky and embedded. Thats is not to say there is anything dodgy going on at Sky but just that Walsh has left his 'journalistic' streak behind him and is merely documenting what sky put out.

Funnily Walsh blocked me on twitter when I tweeted a question regarding him not calling froome and porte out on Gel gate at the alpe d-huez stage in 2013! He glossed over it in his weekend column straight after! Ha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Definite turbo watching for this evening. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

bwalsh1983 wrote: »
    Walsh is ridiculous, a fervent pursuer of Armstrong, the truth and indpendent journalism is now blinded by Sky and embedded. Thats is not to say there is anything dodgy going on at Sky but just that Walsh has left his 'journalistic' streak behind him and is merely documenting what sky put out.

Funnily Walsh blocked me on twitter when I tweeted a question regarding him not calling froome and porte out on Gel gate at the alpe d-huez stage in 2013! He glossed over it in his weekend column straight after! Ha!

Join the club, he blocked me when I asked if Fran Millar should be worried about her job....

Thoses reasons for blocking someone seem strange ...maybe he doesn't believe in debate and questions on Twitter

I am being cynical but given the power of SKY and its owners he knows on which side his bread is buttered.Not that SKy are doing anything wrong or ought but its just his band of journalism seems more propaganda than anything else

I probably still smarting from his reports on Irish Corner in 2013 Tour ...mayeb one or 2 guys could have hissed at or booed Porte but by Walsh's account you'd think Irish fans were dreadfully behaved and uniquely and totally disrespectful to the Sky cycling team

MPFG wrote: »
    I don't agree ...Wiggo won the Tour ....no one gave him the title and he is an excellent cyclist ..... so he has a volitile personailty...but he has a personality with wit and humour

I am not sure what he shoudl have done ?? Roll over and let Froome win the Tour because Froome was a better climber and give up his long worked for and only chance to win the Tour

If Wiggo lost the Tour then there may have been a justification in saying Froome should have had a 2nd Tour by now ...but I don't see it this way

As for Wiggo throwing rants and people walking on egg shells ...he must have been under great pressure and Froome's attack was that.... an attack from a team mate ..... So in his moment of glory Froome rained on his parade

Froome seems like a nice guy but very ruthless ....so no ...Wiggo is not a bigger prick now

I wouldnt take anything away from him sporting wise. They do what they have to do to win! I just don't like his public persona. Like in this video at about the 2 min mark. Froome does seem like a more down to earth and humble fella.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdQz8KMrJWw

But who really knows what these lads are like, all we get to see of them is when they're under pressure or with a microphone stuck in their face. Like a lot of sports people, to get where they have got to in their chosen field you probably need to be a bit of a prick to get to the top!

He just seemed like a machine, dull personality. I suppose they have to be to do what they do. Extremely strong character, great story, but meh. Nice polite guy, I certainly like him better than I did before (he must be so happy!) but incredibly…boring. I suppose things are so tight, marginal gains and all that, there's no space for a non-machine. Incredibly talented nice guy.

David Walsh was irritating throughout. Really un-objective fanboy I thought. Credibility as a journalist shot there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

It was good viewing but not much new infotmation in it. Crucially, no mention of thr retrospwctive theraputic exemption on a possitive test which became a false possitivr as a result. Froome portrayed as the modern day Lemond. Doing it differently etc. Lemond was more of a mould breaker and insanely talented.
    In fighting within strong teams is not new. Hinault/LeMond ( 85 Tour) Roche/ Vincentini (87 Giro ) PDM had Rooks and Thunesse(?) in late 80's /early 90's too.

Walshe has been a SKY man ever since he was allowed inside the ropes. Woe betide anyone that speaks out. He clearly believes they are clean....

Advertisement