Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

wireless alarm

• 24-02-2015 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi,

Looking at wireless alarms. Got a quote

1.) RF sensors with magnetic contact combined with a standard sensor and magnetic contact on 5 windows (large windows with double entry)

2.) RF sensors and magnetic contact on 4 windows and backdoor and patio door

3.) RF contact to the Front door and Skylight

4.) 2 beams

5.)  HKC “Quantum” panel, HKC GSM communicator

6.) External siren/strobe

7.) RF fob

For 1,350 Does this seem reasonable?

Optional
     HKC 10/70 “hybrid” which costs an extra 85

Is the HKC 10/70 worth going with for 85? What’s the main benefits of this panel over the Quantum?

Many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The price is not bad but I would also look at getting a quote for Risco and GSD. If you are looking at using an app with your system Risco & GSD s are free to download & free to use.
    If you go for the HKC app you will have to pay €7.99 per app & also pay an annual subscription to use the app. Choosing the right panel here would make the difference of a hell of a lot of money over the lifetime of your alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 brinner

Thanks. Sorry what do u mean by choosing a panel will save a lot? Is that to do with the app?
    Many thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Its to do with what you will pay for apps & usage subscriptions over the lifetime of your alarm vs free from Risco & GSD .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭altor

brinner wrote: »
    Hi,

Looking at wireless alarms. Got a quote

1.) RF sensors with magnetic contact combined with a standard sensor and magnetic contact on 5 windows (large windows with double entry)

2.) RF sensors and magnetic contact on 4 windows and backdoor and patio door

3.) RF contact to the Front door and Skylight

4.) 2 beams

5.)  HKC “Quantum” panel, HKC GSM communicator

6.) External siren/strobe

7.) RF fob

For 1,350 Does this seem reasonable?

Optional
     HKC 10/70 “hybrid” which costs an extra 85

Is the HKC 10/70 worth going with for 85? What’s the main benefits of this panel over the Quantum?

Many thanks

If you go with the 10/70 you have a seperate keypad than a combined unit. The 10/70 also has 2 on board outputs that can be controlled by text for light or heat control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭kub

Just curious here, with the Risco and GSD, when it comes to wireless shock sensors.
    Do they have in built reed switches just like HKC's?
    Can I wire in extra wired shock sensors and indeed wired contacts to their wireless shock sensors like I can with HKC's?

• Advertisement

kub wrote: »
    Just curious here, with the Risco and GSD, when it comes to wireless shock sensors.
    Do they have in built reed switches just like HKC's?
    Can I wire in extra wired shock sensors and indeed wired contacts to their wireless shock sensors like I can with HKC's?

The GSD sensors are the same as HKC reeds in all, they have inputs which can be wired out off.
    Risco inertia/contacts cant. The contacts can be wired out of.

That is interesting Altor, so i can connect a few GS613's to a GSD wireless shock and happy days?

kub wrote: »
    That is interesting Altor, so i can connect a few GS613's to a GSD wireless shock and happy days?

No, just contacts can be wired out of the input as far as I know.
    HKC have analyzed inputs to wire shocks out of.

:mad: So HKC still have the monopoly on ticking all the boxes? I can't understand why there cannot be true competition in manufacturing.

altor wrote: »
    If you go with the 10/70 you have a seperate keypad than a combined unit.
    Risco & GSD can also have remote keypads away from the main control panel.

• Advertisement

KoolKid wrote: »
    Risco & GSD can also have remote keypads away from the main control panel.

OP asked the difference :confused:

Just clarifying his options for GSD & Risco as well.
    Those panels also have outputs.

KoolKid wrote: »
    Just clarifying his options for GSD & Risco as well.
    Those panels also have outputs.

coolaboola

Thanks for all the replies. The reason I am choosing HKC is because the windows downstairs are big so 5 of them would be wireless with a wired sensor coming off the wireless for the other side of the window to reduce cost. Does this logic hold?

So i don't think the 10/70 is worth the extra 85 if all u really get is an extra key pad?

Finally is it ok to install a panel in a hotpress. Are the concerns with heat?

Thanks for all the replies. The reason I am choosing HKC is because the windows downstairs are big so 5 of them would be wireless with a wired sensor coming off the wireless for the other side of the window to reduce cost. Does this logic hold?
    It does a bit , providing you are never planning to use their app for notifications or remote access. If you are then you will pay the cost of those extra sensors many times over in app charges & subscription charges.
    I would also have concerns re battery life with so many inertia devices connected too a single device.
    So i don't think the 10/70 is worth the extra 85 if all u really get is an extra key pad?
    Its not an extra keypad its a separate keypad.
    Finally is it ok to install a panel in a hotpress. Are the concerns with heat?

The standards say no. But if this is a self install then its not going to conform to the standards anyway.

Thanks are the apps worth getting or is it gimicky?

Also it's not a self install. It was suggested to put in the hotpress by an installer. So should i be concerned?

The installer should be recommending some other location. Personally I would have no issue with it. Others would & its a grey area with the standards.
    (Probably best if we don't go there again)

Also it's not a self install. It was suggested to put in the hotpress by an installer. So should i be concerned?

If there was an old system installed there previously then upgrading is possible back to the hot press. If it is a complete new install then this is against the regulations.

They are well worth getting. They are the future of alarms IMO.
    If you use the right system you have free self monitoring and free remote access for the life of the system.

Apps are the way forward, much quicker notifications in most cases.
    I have both the Gprs and Wifi on my own system. Only the other day my router was down but I was still covered with my Gprs for access to my system.

• Advertisement
Advertisement