Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rough estimate to convert this small country house to a 3 bed suitable for a family

Options
  • 24-02-2015 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I wonder how much (ballpark) would you need to restore this house to a modern living space suitable for a family? I know there is little information to go on, but what is your gut feeling and what are the key items to find out about the property in order to get confidence in estimations?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

my gut say it's 70-100k to get it up to date.
    Just renovation can cost maybe from 50k, but it's all just ''gut'' feeling.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

kifi wrote: »
    Hi all

I wonder how much (ballpark) would you need to restore this house to a modern living space suitable for a family? I know there is little information to go on, but what is your gut feeling and what are the key items to find out about the property in order to get confidence in estimations?

Thanks

the question is too vague, we cant be expected to throw around figures based on a photo. get a builder and an architect and visit the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

BryanF wrote: »
    the question is too vague, we cant be expected to throw around figures based on a photo. get a builder and an architect and visit the house.

I priced something like this around 6 months ago. What ended up happening was they built an extension longways out the back of the existing with a bathroom and kitchen/dining below and a bedroom over. The existing house was completely gutted, new sash windows and applied insulation to the internal face of the external walls. You lost the back room in terms of a bedroom as this formed the entrance to the extension.

The job was nice in the end but value for money it certainly wasn't. Only reason it went ahead is that it was a grandson moving into the old family home. That job cost €160k ex vat to a builders finish.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

cronin_j wrote: »
    I priced something like this around 6 months ago. What ended up happening was they built an extension longways out the back of the existing with a bathroom and kitchen/dining below and a bedroom over. The existing house was completely gutted, new sash windows and applied insulation to the internal face of the external walls. You lost the back room in terms of a bedroom as this formed the entrance to the extension.

The job was nice in the end but value for money it certainly wasn't. Only reason it went ahead is that it was a grandson moving into the old family home. That job cost €160k ex vat to a builders finish.

m2 of extension ? and existing house ? ta

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

BryanF wrote: »
    m2 of extension ? and existing house ? ta

I honestly cant remember, ill dig out the file later.

It wasnt much though. There was about 10k worth of work to change the septic tank etc to allow for the increase in the no. of occupants and the resulting percolation area.

• Advertisement
Advertisement