Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlebar to Turlough Greenway

Options
  • 24-02-2015 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if the Castlebar to Turlough part of the greenway is suitable for biking yet? I might be moving out that direction and would love to continue commuting on the bike to work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

I thought it was finished but last week saw diggers and fella still working on the paths. Parts look complete though.

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

I seen a few posts on another site back in December saying that the bridges needed to be put in place but no update on that since. I suppose a little spin out will soon tell the tale.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

Bridges are in but the final surface isn't fully finished yet. Last I saw on facebook they were saying it would be ready in the next few weeks with the official opening in around a month. You could cycle as it is on a moutain bike I'd say but as they might be working on it during your commute you might be as well to stick to the N5 till it's done.

Thanks 12element. Final question. What is the distance of that portion of greenway does anyone know?

statto25 wrote: »
    Thanks 12element. Final question. What is the distance of that portion of greenway does anyone know?

No Problem. Looking forward to it opening myself. It's 9km from Turlough into town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Heard it will be open for easter!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭P_Cash

12 element wrote: »
    No Problem. Looking forward to it opening myself. It's 9km from Turlough into town.

Dude, it's no more than 6km roundabout out to museum entrance. Which it's where it ends.

P_Cash wrote: »
    Dude, it's no more than 6km roundabout out to museum entrance. Which it's where it ends.

On the road maybe! I'm just going by what was posted on the Great western Greenway's facebook but you're probably right it will be closer to 7km I'd say.

Irish Times had this article on the greenway at the weekend
    http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/castlebar-s-new-greenway-1.2128954

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

it will look nothing like pic in the Irish times , dont think it come with in an asses roar of any woodland, will be more like a gravel foot path beside a river

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

There is some river-side woodland in the work-in-progress pics posted on the Great Westren Greenway page on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Where does it start?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

irishgeo wrote: »
    Where does it start?

Beside Scoil Raifteiri National School and along the river behind the houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Dudda wrote: »
    Beside Scoil Raifteiri National School and along the river behind the houses.

I went up that way by the river looking for it thinking I was on the right path but it came to a dead end soon after. That must be it but some here are saying you can get on it now although it's not finished? Perhaps it's temporarily blocked off ?

colossus-x wrote: »
    I went up that way by the river looking for it thinking I was on the right path but it came to a dead end soon after. That must be it but some here are saying you can get on it now although it's not finished? Perhaps it's temporarily blocked off ?

It was blocked there a few weeks ago too. You can go all the way from N5 tyres/garage to the museum though if you don't mind climbing 1 gate!

12 element wrote: »
    It was blocked there a few weeks ago too. You can go all the way from N5 tyres/garage to the museum though if you don't mind climbing 1 gate!

I do cause I'm cycling ! Is it a big gate ?

colossus-x wrote: »
    I do cause I'm cycling ! Is it a big gate ?

Just a normal farm gate! I lifted a bike over without too much hassle!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

is this open yet?

irishgeo wrote: »
    is this open yet?

May 2nd is the date that they've said on Facebook. Lots of activity the last week or two

Just happened across the official opening event yesterday afternoon and had a spin on my bike up to Turlough from Castlebar in the evening. Fair few out walking and cycling and running. Will bring you out to the museum of country life where when you can transfer from the end of the greenway to an already established walkway around the museum. Very nice it is too especially on the Turlough end. Love the way it runs along the river. I wonder if there are any plans to extend it on further up for Foxford maybe. I could cycle for hours and would love it to be a bit longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

There are plans to put a 50 metre suspension bridge over the river at Turlough. that will be a nice feature

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Cycled the Greenway today, it was wonderful, a few kinks to be ironed out yet, but a great addition to the area no doubt. lots of walkers and cyclists out there today too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

I walked it yesterday. Very nice addition to the area, and it's particularly nice at the Turlough end. There were a fair number of joggers, cyclists and walkers out on it. Why isn't it publicised a bit more? Granted there is a bit of a litter problem at a few spots, but there's no mention of it on the museum website despite finishing actually inside the museum grounds. Walking from Castlebar to the museum and back again is very do-able.

Advertisement