Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would you improve Lucan?

Options
  • 24-02-2015 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭

If you could....

I would make it a one way system, down the Lucan road to the village and up Chapel hill. One big roundabout with a decent cycle lane.
    I would look to have a foot bridge from Vesey Park across the N4 to Griffeen Valley park, almost in line with the river. That way you could walk, cycle all the way to the canal from the village. Indeed you could make it all the way to Dublin along the canal.
    I would kick out the Italian embassy and open the demesne to the public.
    I would have a river walk all along the Liffey behind St Ed's to Palmerstown.
    If I cant get the LUAS in, then I would have a feeder bus to City West LUAS.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

- Remove the Westlink toll
    It forces a lot of traffic through a small village and single bridge at rush hour, or at least consider a new high throughput bridge beyond the village somewhere

- Active policing of parking/traffic around schools at closing time
    Lazy modern mothers expect "drive-through" collection of their children without getting out of their cars, so they illegally park anywhere on the roads

- I remember when Dublin buses weren't packed beyond capacity and the 25X express buses didn't allow schoolkids on them... that segregation of commuters and schoolchildren (who only were going a couple of stops) really helped people use public transport into town, as opposed to temporarily filling up the bus to Woodies. Although the empty buses starting at the Penny Hill during rush hour were welcome.

- I've heard of problems with cycle clubs parking in the village on weekends, taking up a disproportionate amount of spaces, while they go off for a cycle. That's just greedy/lazy, and takes business out of the village. Not sure a remedy for that... maybe 1-2 hour parking free limit on weekends, without a permit.

- not enough public playgrounds for children

- I'm some areas, especially the outer ring road/Ballyowen road, there's far too many traffic lights, sometimes in places where an optional pedestrian crossing would've sufficed and not slowed down the traffic.
    I go up Fonthill Road as there's only 1 traffic light, as opposed to Ballyowen Road where there's 6 or so.

- +1 for one way system in Lucan village, it's already in a natural loop already

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

stoneill wrote: »
    If you could....

I would make it a one way system, down the Lucan road to the. village and up Chapel hill.

Which way round the triangle? For whatever reason, the west side of the triangle always backs up even if there's no delays anywhere else
    One big roundabout with a decent cycle lane.

Would you do a two way or contra flow for cyclists? Chape Hill is steeper than Lucan road ;)
    I would look to have a foot bridge from Vesey Park across the N4 to Griffeen Valley park, almost in line with the river. That way you could walk, cycle all the way to the canal from the village. Indeed you could make it all the way to Dublin along the canal.

100%, such a simple thing that could make a big difference
    I would kick out the Italian embassy and open the demesne to the public.
    I would have a river walk all along the Liffey behind St Ed's to Palmerstown.

With you here too
    If I cant get the LUAS in, then I would have a feeder bus to City West LUAS.

A little bit lost here, a bus from Lucan to town is quicker than a LUAS from Citywest to town. If you're going to get into shuttling to mass transit, how about a feeeder bus to Adamstown Station and an increase in services to Heuston and eventually through the interconnector to Stephens Green or wherever, that would be a much better bet than a feeder bus to a longer journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Only recently moved to Lucan, really like the area/village. One thing I will say is we live close to Griffeen Park, its a nice healthy sized part with very little to it. Seems to be a good bit of green all around the area that has gone to waste as well. Griffeen could do with a nice cafe or something along those lines. Its just one big flat piece of land with a playground.

A decent bakery in the village!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

foreign wrote: »
    A decent bakery in the village!

There is already a very good one down by the Ulster Bank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Heroditas

- Remove the Westlink toll
    It forces a lot of traffic through a small village and single bridge at rush hour, or at least consider a new high throughput bridge beyond the village somewhere

This is the single biggest thing for me. People using Lucan as a rat-run to avoid the toll, coupled with all the schools means that it's one big trafic jam for several hours every weekday.

Also, I'd like to see some more nice restaurants. The amount of fast-food/takeaways is ridiculous but there's obvously a demand for them.
    I'd love to see Lucan village like Monkstown village where there's loads of very good quality sit-down eateries such as FXBs, Avoca, 8a Brasserie, Seapoint, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Heroditas wrote: »
    This is the single biggest thing for me. People using Lucan as a rat-run to avoid the toll, coupled with all the schools means that it's one big trafic jam for several hours every weekday.

Also, I'd like to see some more nice restaurants. The amount of fast-food/takeaways is ridiculous but there's obvously a demand for them.
    I'd love to see Lucan village like Monkstown village where there's loads of very good quality sit-down eateries such as FXBs, Avoca, 8a Brasserie, Seapoint, etc.

Because Lucan is very spread out that's going to be hard to achieve. Anywhere that opens up need to keep their prices lower than the city. This is where di bella is going wrong, their prices are too high for an average italian.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Sorry, I was referring more to the village itself, rather than the whole of Lucan.
    Prices wouldn't bother me too much because I'd be happy enough to stroll down to the village rather than have to worry about getting the bus or drive/park in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Avoca is opening at the site of the Foxhunter this year so that is on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Build another bridge over the Liffey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Avoca is opening at the site of the Foxhunter this year so that is on the way.

This confirmed? Can't see any work started as of yet. Any more details?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

This confirmed? Can't see any work started as of yet. Any more details?

It was announced on the Avoca website a while back.

Advertisement