Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oak plywood

• 24-02-2015 9:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭

Is there anywhere in Ireland that stocks 18mm white oak plywood.
    Need it for some window boards and don't really want to use solid or mdf.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

Never seen 18mm oak ply now not saying it cant be got just did a Google search and cant find anything. You can get 3.5mm ply or find a company that dose veneer work cut all the boards to size and get them veneered in oak with a solid edge. Or if that works out to expensive get oak Moisture Resistant MDF. I used to work in a company in dublin where they done all their own veneer work it was called Ardmore furniture in walkinstown don't know if their still going or do that kind of work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Ditto. I've never seen veneered sheets of ply thicker than about 3.5 mm. Why not glue a 3.5mm sheet to plain plywood and glue on a thin oak edge strip ?

recipio wrote: »
    Ditto. I've never seen veneered sheets of ply thicker than about 3.5 mm. Why not glue a 3.5mm sheet to plain plywood and glue on a thin oak edge strip ?
    Ya thats the way i would do it come to think of it even that Moisture Resistant MDF is not great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Ya thats the way i would do it come to think of it even that Moisture Resistant MDF is not great.

Lots of veneered MDF around but I don't think you can get veneered moisture resistant stuff.?
    For the OP, if you are going to glue 3.5 mm ply on to a base you need to glue something on the other side as well to prevent warping. Anything will do, even plain ply - its the glue line that sets up stresses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Sligoronan

Work in the states for a few years and all of the cabinetry we build was made from ply not mdf. Just amazed that can buy sheets of veneered ply of the shelf.
    I think white oak 8 x 4 x 3/4 was about $32.
    Here the company that used to use.
    Shame no where like this around.

http://www.rosenzweiglumber.com/Plywood.html

• Advertisement

Jesus they have a good supply of veneered ply their and at $32 a sheet MDF oak here is €60. A if you could hang on ten years we might be getting it here in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Hi Sligoronan
    Try Hession woodworking, Cleveragh Ind Est. I know they do some of their own veneering. Ring Ian on 0879387466 and ask him
    NW

Advertisement