Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Torn carpal pad - treatment?

• 24-02-2015 9:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭

As above, I've just spotted my lab x has a torn carpal pad. We spotted a bit of blood yesteray but couldn't see where it was coming from but I've just seen now that the "stopper" pad is ripped a good 50% of the way around where it connects to the leg....

He is licking it a bit to clean but not constantly or anything....he is looking a little sorry for himself but doesn't seem too bad, he hasn't been limping (apart from the last 5 minutes or so)...will it heal on it's own or should I bring him to the vet? It all seems quite clean and I don't see any galls or anything in there

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

My lab did this (again) recently but this time she did it quite badly. I bathed it in salt and water and applied sudocreme a few times a day, put a sock or something over it to stop the sudocreme getting dragged around. We were coincidently going to the vet anyway for another issue, so vet had a look and said to continue with the salt and sudocreme treatment. It gradually improved but took over a week to heal. Once youre sure its not getting infected, or not too deep there's not a lot more the vet can do anyway.

Eta ..was the metacarpal pad I was referring to..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

Well I brought him in this evening...I was in 2 minds whether I should or not as it doesn't seem to be bothering him (although he is a bit quieter than usual), but it seems like he needs stitches so he is going in first thing tomorrow...poor fella was shaking out in the vets waiting room!

Advertisement