Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

angling clubs

Options
  • 24-02-2015 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

Hey all, just looking fo
    r some opinions about joining 2 clubs. This year I'm planning on targeting trout mainly. The local river here is the tolka so was goin to pick up a permit for there but was also looking at Dublin trout anglers association as they have the rights to a few other rivers. Here lies my question, is it worth joining two clubs or should i stick to one?
    Thanks for your answers!
    Liam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Liam, when I was match fishing you generally had to join a club to fish in their Leagues, so I was a member of several clubs a season, what I found good about this is that you have access to pick the brains of more fellow members than if you were only a member of 1, now I know Trout fishing is different but I'd imagine the Club members of different clubs would only want to help new members and assist with info/tips. So once you can afford to join more than 1 club i'd say go for it

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

I wonder how the tolka will be fishing after the fish kill last year. Certain parts from Finglas Road bridge down will be quite less productive id imagine. I know they stock the river for comps etc but not usually down that far more up around the finglas area. Always thought the tolka was a tad pricey too. If I were you I'd look into the dodder anglers and perhaps dublin trout anglers. DOdder anglers allows you to fish the dodder and bohernabrena too

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

I've been scouting the tolka for the last few weeks, different areas, and it looks good! Plenty of fish life and flies/bugs in and around the water. The tolka would be the closest to me and I don't drive so transport costs factored in its about the same price.
    I started this thread because I'm not sure of the politics involved, if any, in joining 2 clubs, a friend of mine is in DTAA already, so I was thinking of joining them for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ady 001

There no politics involved, it about the fishing.

I being in a club on the Barrow since a kid & was in the Dodder club for a few years when I work in Dublin. Weekday evening a hour or 2 on the Dodder, then the few weekend home to the folks, I could fish the Barrow, its great being able to fish 2 total difference water.

I know a older gentlemen, who in about 12 clubs across the county. A lot of trout angler are in 2 or more club at some point and you also have move to talk about on the river banks, with story of "the other river".

If you think you have the time (& money) join both, if the tolka closest to you fish there most days or evenings & meet up with your friend on DTAA waters when you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

Tolka is my local also. I enjoy stalking the small wild fish all season and usually pick up a few of decent size. There are still some very nice wild fish left in my beat.

However, I think the license is far too expensive. The club only stocks the river for competitions. Nothing else is done to manage / improve the fishery. No club bailiff in operation anymore, so poaching is rampant all year long.

I'm thinking of joining the Dodder this year. Plenty of access to fishing if you are on a bus route or don't mind a walk through town in your waders ! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Im in none at the mo and do most of my fishing on free water with the odd day permit. I was in five at one stage. That's when it gets too expensive. I know some lads who literally spend thousands on salmon syndicates every year. Really comes down to if you will use it or not and if the pocket can take it.

Advertisement