Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Penneys closing down in Naas

Options
  • 24-02-2015 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭

While there was good news for Liffey Valley with a new Penneys opening next year with 100s of jobs, it was also announced that Penneys Naas is shutting with the transfer of 22 jobs to the Newbridge outlet. They are also offloading the Superquinn site they bought. This surely is a blow to Naas. I wonder does the town suffer from being too close to Dublin meaning most locals do their shopping there or in Newbridge? Naas must also be the only town with over 10000 people that lacks a Dunnes Stores. Any Naas residents here who can offer a reason why the town suffers at the expense of Newbridge etc?

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/penneys-to-create-more-than-300-jobs-31018878.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

The Pennys in Naas is third rate anyway and I doubt if those who want to shop in pennys would choose Naas over Newbridge.

Naas simply is no longer a shopping Town - but does seem to be growing as a food town. Maybe it could re-invent itself as the Kinsale of leinster?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

Naas is more the large scale bulk retail town of the county ie B&Q , Harvey Norman, Smyths, Woodies etc.. I think the final nail was the monreed centre and tbh I doubt the shopping centre will ever be built. Naas has become a donut and should concentrate on attracting more firms like Kerry , large scale employers. Newbridge is the shopping mecca of the county while Kildare is the tourism hotspot. So the council should find something for Naas to identify itself as , perhaps the CBD of the county.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Dunnes were meant to be the main tenant in the shopping center. But between themselves, the builder and the bang, it stalled. That'll never be finished. I'd knock the whole thing if it was me, and turn it back into a carpark. As for Penny's, they should have been hit with fines for not developing the old superquinn site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭karenalot

delahuntv wrote: »
    Naas simply is no longer a shopping Town - but does seem to be growing as a food town. Maybe it could re-invent itself as the Kinsale of leinster?

I think Maynooth has nabbed that title.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Pennys gone, The Gem gone, jaysus
    Is there any point traveling into the town anymore ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I'm surprised the Penney's has lasted as long as it has: it doesn't fit their current style of store. Shame they're not going to open a store on the Superquinn site, none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭micko38

Naas UDC must be so proud of their new look Naas turning down everything including Kildare Village & slowly turning it into a ghost town

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

micko38 wrote: »
    Naas UDC must be so proud of their new look Naas turning down everything including Kildare Village & slowly turning it into a ghost town

Turning down Kildare Village or as it would have been called Naas Village was a horrendous decision. That could have turned Naas into a proper high end fashion destination and prevented its demise to whats left today

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Mynamehere

Pennys in Naas hadnt changed since the 90s. Was very old fashioned in fairness compared to Pennys in other areas. Never had great stock either so I stopped going.

Whats happening to the old Superquinn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Mynamehere wrote: »
    Whats happening to the old Superquinn?

It's on the market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

Penneys in Naas was v old and tired looking but it was handy and I went a lot as wouldnt have time to get to newbridge. Would have thought a big Penneys in Naas with good parking would do really well. Agree that they should have been fined for tying up that superquinn site and not using it.

God between the deserted half burned down concrete pipe factory and the old empty super quinn building and then empty shell ofthe shopping centre that will never happen its turning into a ghost town - awful pity with Kerry after opening a huge site nearby and bringing more people into the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Penneys in Naas was v old and tired looking but it was handy and I went a lot as wouldnt have time to get to newbridge. Would have thought a big Penneys in Naas with good parking would do really well. Agree that they should have been fined for tying up that superquinn site and not using it.

God between the deserted half burned down concrete pipe factory and the old empty super quinn building and then empty shell ofthe shopping centre that will never happen its turning into a ghost town - awful pity with Kerry after opening a huge site nearby and bringing more people into the area.

Hopefully this will help in the long run.

I wouldn't write Naas off yet. Kerry's opening will have an impact, and possibly be the catalyst to a more developments in the Millennium Park area which will see increased activity in the town.

The fact the KBC have opened a branch in the town is a positive, as they must see potential. The Superquinn site, sold for the right price, could still see retail use. While Aldi is already represented with two locations , it could provide a very central location for a Lidl - both stores have started opening "in-town" sites, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭wilser

BuffyBot wrote: »
    it could provide a very central location for a Lidl -

Isn't there a lidl already in Naas? Near Harvey Norman also another one 3 mins from the big Tesco in Sallins

Yup, but there's also 2 Aldi's in Naas. The existence of one branch does not preclude the creation of another if they feel the market is there.

I presume you mean the Lidl is in Sallins, as opposed to Tesco Extra (which is Naas).

I'd consider Sallins a separate entity, with it's own population (which is sure to increase with Kerry coming on stream). Both discounters still have ambitious expansion plans so "1 per town etc" isn't any sort of rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭wilser

Yeah meant it's close to the Tesco, would just seem like overkill if either lidl or aldi moved into the old superquinn

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

I wouldn't write Naas off yet. Kerry's opening will have an impact, and possibly be the catalyst to a more developments in the Millennium Park area which will see increased activity in the town.

The fact the KBC have opened a branch in the town is a positive, as they must see potential. The Superquinn site, sold for the right price, could still see retail use. While Aldi is already represented with two locations , it could provide a very central location for a Lidl - both stores have started opening "in-town" sites, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility.
    The Superquinn site has no value as a retail site, which is why Penney's did not develop it. The council would not sanction parking on site and insisted that Penney's use the multi-storey in the "Town Centre" car park. This was unacceptable and as such they abandoned plans. Any subsequent purchaser will face the same hurdle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

The Superquinn site has no value as a retail site, which is why Penney's did not develop it. The council would not sanction parking on site and insisted that Penney's use the multi-storey in the "Town Centre" car park. This was unacceptable and as such they abandoned plans. Any subsequent purchaser will face the same hurdle.

Penneys rarely require parking and the size of their planned building would not have allowed parking on site.

If the town centre had opened and brought people to the town, Penneys would have developed their site. The Town Centre will not be opening as a shopping centre, so having a large penneys on its own simply did not make sense.

One idea for the town centre is to open it as a business centre

Different retailers, different sizes, different times.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Anyone able to confirm that the development behind Aldi on Monread Road is going to be a drive-thru McDonalds ?

If that is true, then I truly despair for the town centre as it's yet another feather in the out-of-town, car-dependant shopper "experience".

Do the town councillors see anything other than short-term profits / commercial rates, or do they actually know what a ring doughnut looks like ?

• Advertisement

The planning permission was for a petrol station /shop and drive through restaurant (doesn't mean it's McD's could be KFC, Supermacs etc) if I recall correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

The planning permission was for a petrol station /shop and drive through restaurant (doesn't mean it's McD's could be KFC, Supermacs etc) if I recall correctly.
    I strongly suspect it will be a KFC - the BBC documentary 'Billion Dollar Chicken Shop' had a section on new store planning, and showed execs discussion a new store for Naas and had images of the Tesco and a site map showing that area currently being developed.

Paddy

Advertisement