Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cam thread (car videos only)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭oleras

leaving-now-grandpa-simpsons.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭seanaway

Can anyone tell me if I'm rihght in this? I was on the Data Protection Commissioner's site the other day and my understanding is that drone (assuming also Dashcam) footage cannot be posted in a public forum as it is a breach of privacy law. Anyone got a definite on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

seanaway wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if I'm rihght in this? I was on the Data Protection Commissioner's site the other day and my understanding is that drone (assuming also Dashcam) footage cannot be posted in a public forum as it is a breach of privacy law. Anyone got a definite on this?

It's filmed in a public place though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭oleras

If common sense expects privacy, like sunbathing n your back yard, that would be in breach as far as i know.

If walking on the street where privacy would not normally be expected, no harm no foul.

shietpilot wrote: »
    It's filmed in a public place though?
    https://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Guidance-on-the-use-of-Drone-Aircraft/1510.htm

See the follwoing form that page - it's the very last sentence I wonder about .....

However, a recent decision of the Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU) in December 2014 (C-212/13)[3] (http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:62013CJ0212) found that video surveillance by an individual of a public area outside his home fell under the Data Protection Directive. The Court found that as the CCTV also monitored a public space, it did not amount to the processing of data in the course of a purely personal or household activity, for the purposes of the “household exemption”.
    As a result, anyone intending to use a drone should ensure that it does not inadvertently capture personal data from third persons as this will mean that thet Data Protection Acts will apply and drone operators will have to ensure that the safeguards and obligations set out below are met. Personal data would include, for instance, facial images or car registration plates.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    As far as I can make out neither would be allowed. Given the cost of software to remove/blur faces /plates while moving I think that any dash cam footage would fall foul of it. A bit nuts if it is the case- but then again it is the EU we're talking about so common sense can be a tad scarce at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

As far as I can make out neither would be allowed. Given the cost of software to remove/blur faces /plates while moving I think that any dash cam footage would fall foul of it. A bit nuts if it is the case- but then again it is the EU we're talking about so common sense can be a tad scarce at times.

I dont think the cost would be that prohibitive. It would not need too much extra processing power either, the delay in most cams is during the write to storage media.

But the reality is that you can not stop people from posting identifying footage.

I suppose youtube would just post-process it before publishing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Another one of those "protect the criminal" laws :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭coward

I don't mean to nitpick as this thread isn't for that, but there's certainly an irony when you call him a disgrace while cycling the wrong way down a one way street.

Hard to tell from the video, but I had unclipped, dismounted and was walking the bike before entering that one way street.

Yes, I'm a bit lost wandering in here.. had looked for a handlebar-cam thread in cycling :)

coward wrote: »
    Hard to tell from the video, but I had unclipped, dismounted and was walking the bike before entering that one way street.

Yes, I'm a bit lost wandering in here.. had looked for a handlebar-cam thread in cycling :)

Here, as long as you're nothing like CycleDub you're grand here :D

https://www.youtube.com/user/CycleDub/videos

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭roverrules

coward wrote: »

Calling bull on that, certainly looks like your cycling from the smoothness and acceleration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

roverrules wrote: »
    Calling bull on that, certainly looks like your cycling from the smoothness and acceleration.

And you'd be wrong, you can hear the cleats on the road as he walks. Camera on handle bar is why it's smooth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭roverrules

Crocked wrote: »
    And you'd be wrong, you can hear the cleats on the road as he walks. Camera on handle bar is why it's smooth.

Not convinced, to get the acceleration of the last 5 seconds he'd need to be running in his cleats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Discussion of the cycling/handlebar cam ends now. This thread is for dashcams only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭vickers209

Back on topic with dash cams (not mine)

Sorry cant embed videos please feel free mods if you can

Someone forgot there change at toll bridge on M4
    https://www.facebook.com/HGVDashCamFootage/videos/1176421065722546/

Someones going get sacked in tullamore
    lucky no kids or people walking past at that time
    https://youtu.be/yadnJTRrgmQ

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Bobjims

1 - One car runs this red light and another follows.

2 - A distracted driver confuses the lanes on this stretch of road. Happens quite often in this location, especially just after they pull out from a side road.(Mobhi Road, Glasnevin)

3 - Very similar to the video above (exact same location and driver error), I think I may have posted this before but will add it in here for comparison to the above.

Duck!

They stopped the taxi coming the other way as well, I didn't see if they got in or not. :D

Bobjims wrote: »
    2 - A distracted driver confuses the lanes on this stretch of road. Happens quite often in this location, especially just after they pull out from a side road.(Mobhi Road, Glasnevin)

3 - Very similar to the video above (exact same location and driver error), I think I may have posted this before but will add it in here for comparison to the above.

You must be unlucky on that road! When I was commuting to DCU I drove there all the time and I've never seen that happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

shietpilot wrote: »
    You must be unlucky on that road! When I was commuting to DCU I drove there all the time and I've never seen that happen.

should there be YIELD markings and traffic lights?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Wrong way on the roundabout and totally oblivious too.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

few from today, nothing serious just some stupid moves and lack of cop on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 23 devwa

Some more for you ...

Does not look lkie I can post a link yet.

This is the youtu.be shorthand.
    cpLsLNT5_9Q

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭D_BEAR

devwa wrote: »
    Some more for you ...

Does not look lkie I can post a link yet.

This is the youtu.be shorthand.
    cpLsLNT5_9Q

Just in relation to the whole privacy thing earlier, and using dashcam footage; I'm a photographer, so fairly clued in. The reality of the situation is you only are entitled to privacy where there is a 'reasonable expectation' to it.

Anything in a public place is fine. On private property, you're still allowed to record, unless it is made obvious in advance that no recording is allowed (ie; signage saying no photo/video in this area). If private property is poublicly accessible then it's considered a public space (for example, Tesco own their car park, and it's private property, but it's openly publicly accessible, and there is no signage to dictate that filming is not allowed, so it is considered a public space - you can film all you like).

Once something is recorded on private property, no one has any right to request it's deleted, or to attempt to delete it on you, but you must stop (ie; you wander into a shopping centre with a camera and start taking photos. Security guard asks you to stop and delete what you've already taken. You should stop and he can ask you to leave the property. However, as you've already taken the photo, you are not obliged to delete it). If a Garda asks you to delete a photo/footage, you still don't have to.

If someone is having sexytimes, and their bedroom has a window that overlooks a main road, and they do it with the curtains open, lights on, fully visible, etc. they have no reasonable expectation to privacy. You can photograph them. However, if the curtain is closed and you can, just by chance, see through a gap in the curtain, if you stand at a particular angle: then you can not photograph them, as they have established a reasonable expectation to privacy.

A dash cam is generally only seeing what a normal person can see, and would spend 99% of it's time in a public space. So unless you're violating someone's reasonable expectation to privacy, then you can fire away and post online all you like.

Relatedly, and I'm open to correction here (though I'm 90% confident I'm right), with regards to recording conversations (ie someone shouts abuse at you, Garda pulls you over, etc.) you don't need permission, consent or advance notice that the conversation is being recorded. So long as one party to the conversation is aware that it's being recorded, you're all set (the one person is you, in this case, of course).

I assume that, although posting dashcam footage wouldn't itself be an offence, you might need to defend yourself in Court if you defame the subject of that video either in it or whilst posting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Take the privacy discussion to another thread please.
    "Chat allowed" doesn't mean it will be ok for chat to overtake videos in frequency.

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

A little more light hearted :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

I was stopped at a red light for about 10 seconds when this muppet appears, the light were red for some time before and after. You can see how quickly he disappears around that bend

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Pedro32561

A regular manoeuvre at Sandyford junction is for cars to skip the queue in lanes 1 & 2 going towards the Industrial Estate and use the Central Park lane to jump back in at the last minute. I've seen a good few close calls with this. Watch the silver van at the start move into lane 3. It then seems that I'm the one in the wrong going by the efforts he went to in gesturing to me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Nothing particularly exciting or interesting, just a sped up journey I did a few weeks ago from Gatwick Airport to the Isle of Grain and back, using/testing a new 'travel' dash cam I got for about €40. The car was an E220 Bluetec SE. :)
    (dates/times are all wrong as the camera hadn't been used in weeks so its battery had died)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Nothing particularly exciting or interesting, just a sped up journey I did a few weeks ago from Gatwick Airport to the Isle of Grain and back, using/testing a new 'travel' dash cam I got for about €40. The car was an E220 Bluetec SE. :)
    (dates/times are all wrong as the camera hadn't been used in weeks so its battery had died)

Decent quality for €40, have you got a link to where you bought it?

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Pedro32561 wrote: »
    A regular manoeuvre at Sandyford junction is for cars to skip the queue in lanes 1 & 2 going towards the Industrial Estate and use the Central Park lane to jump back in at the last minute. I've seen a good few close calls with this. Watch the silver van at the start move into lane 3. It then seems that I'm the one in the wrong going by the efforts he went to in gesturing to me!

I watched it few times, and I'm completely puzzled why was he showing something to you?
    It didn't look like you interacted with each other at all before that.

Also I can't really see what is the issue you're describing with van driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Decent quality for €40, have you got a link to where you bought it?

Here you go

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99578835&postcount=1521

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

h3000 wrote: »
    Wrong way on the roundabout and totally oblivious too.

fx5zs1hKBgY

Regular occurrence there I'm told

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Regular occurrence there I'm told
    I've heard of it before but this is my first time seeing it. A lot of people come round that roundabout quite quickly too, it could have been very messy altogether.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

CiniO wrote: »
    I watched it few times, and I'm completely puzzled why was he showing something to you?

I can't really see an issue either. He was in the straight ahead lane before the roundabout and went straight on and having done that had to change lanes. Not everyone has prior knowledge of what the lanes do the other side of a roundabout.(maybe he did and was cute but was he wrong? ) He left the merge left a bit late admittedly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

Pedro beeped the van for performing a perfectly normal merge.
    The van driver quite rightly IMO, indicated that Pedro should mind his own business.
    I agree with the van driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭josip

The van driver quite rightly IMO, indicated that Pedro should mind his own business.

Pedro beeped the van for performing a legal merge, but one which given the 142 D reg, was probably planned to get ahead of the long queue of cars who were already in lanes that didn't require changing.
    There is no evidence in the vid to back this up, it's just my gut feeling based on 25 years of driving in Dublin and each will form their own opinion from the vid.
    The van driver, gave Pedro the wan*er sign while not paying attention to the road in front of him.
    I wouldn't agree with the van driver's actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

LOL. If everyone did what the van driver did, there would be chaos.

I don't understand why people let in others who knowingly skip a queue of traffic.

Caliden wrote: »

I don't understand why people let in others who knowingly skip a queue of traffic.

If everyone merged across broken white lines there would be chaos? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

If everyone merged across broken white lines there would be chaos? :confused:

He left it so late he was actually driving over a solid line before he was fully in the lane.

Signage/road markings were visible at 0:30 yet he continued on.

If you honestly think he made a genuine mistake then I've got some magic beans for sale that you may be interested in.

He left it so late he was actually driving over a solid line before he was fully in the lane.

If you honestly think he made a genuine mistake then I've got some magic beans for sale that you may be interested in.

The only mistake I saw in the video was some busy-body, wannabe traffic cop beeping at a van for no reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

The only mistake I saw in the video was some busy-body, wannabe traffic cop beeping at a van for no reason.

Maybe you guys know the place.
    I don't.
    And from what I can see, there were 3 lanes - all three for going straight ahead and right one additionally for turning right.
    Van went through roundabout straight ahead on most right lane (the one indicated for going straight or right) and then ended up on a lane for right turn only, so he changed to middle lane.

Is that correct what I see, or am I missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭josip

Maybe you guys know the place.
    I don't.
    And from what I can see, there were 3 lanes - all three for going straight ahead and right one additionally for turning right.
    Van went through roundabout straight ahead on most right lane (the one indicated for going straight or right) and then ended up on a lane for right turn only, so he changed to middle lane.

Is that correct what I see, or am I missing something?

You're correct.
    Why do you think the cars were queuing up in the 2 leftmost lanes approaching the roundabout?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

That whole area is a disaster for right or left turn only lanes suddenly appearing with very little warning if you don't know the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moar videos, less chat

If you have a question you think may spin off into a proper discussion, don't be afraid to start a fresh thread instead of clogging up this one.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement