Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cam thread (car videos only)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Undertaking is wrong, however if you get undertook , it should occur to you that you were in the wrong lane. (as was the camera car here)

Undertaking is only wrong to the gob****es in the wrong lane in the first place. If you were not causing the problem in the first place, you would not be aware of the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Driving towards me on both sides of the road!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

Undertaking is only wrong to the gob****es in the wrong lane in the first place. If you were not causing the problem in the first place, you would not be aware of the issue.

Undertaking is technically wrong.... better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Undertaking is technically wrong.... better?
    Technically it is yes, but sometimes it's just necessary.
    There are some right balloons out there.

oh I do it too...you have to sometimes....still not legal though and you have to be so careful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

It is only ok occassionally. The video that was posted a few pages ago of the guy sailing up the inside of everyone for miles is lethal dangerous. Vans/lorries/buses absolutely cannot see you, even if they try. That is not safe by any stretch of the imagination.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

A right plonker. He even links to another video a minute before hand, which incriminates him further. He basically sits in lane one at about 90-100kph, does what he thinks is the right thing and moves into lane 2 to allow for the merging Fiesta, but then stays there in front of a likely 120-140kph Jag.

Poor observation and serious anger issues.

could be or he could just be acting the dope to get youtube views

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭seanaway

RVP11 wrote: »

Really have to wonder wtf people have in their minds when they do things like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Driving towards me on both sides of the road!

Ah but its part of their "culture" just like copper thieving and scaming grannys whos roofs are perfectly ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Quality seems to deteriorate when uploaded to youtube.
    Nothing much in this but two cars braking and pulling in front of me, happens everyday. You leave a safe distance but others just see a gap.
    This is actually much closer than it appears in the video due to the wide angle cam.
    Some cursing in the audio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

seanaway wrote: »
    Really have to wonder wtf people have in their minds when they do things like that.

He wasn't paying attention, couldn't stop without hitting the car in front, so decided to swerve left instead. Only problem he didn't check mirrors properly before swerving.
    Simple mistake to make, but could be tragic in result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

CiniO wrote: »
    He wasn't paying attention, couldn't stop without hitting the car in front, so decided to swerve left instead. Only problem he didn't check mirrors properly before swerving.
    Simple mistake to make, but could be tragic in result.

He was paying attention, he pressed the brake pedal fairly quickly after the car in front pressed the brakes. Sounds more like bad brakes/tyres or just not pressing the pedal hard enough.

shietpilot wrote: »
    He was paying attention, he pressed the brake pedal fairly quickly after the car in front pressed the brakes. Sounds more like bad brakes/tyres or just not pressing the pedal hard enough.

No, he wasn't.
    Car in front was already slowing down (without braking) for 2.5 seconds before pressing a brake pedal. In that time the focus was getting closer to car in front, and when car in front started braking, it took focus driver nearly 1 seconds to press his brakes.

It might look instant for you on the video, but in real life at that speeds and that gap, it's more than enough for focus driver to crash into car in front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

No, he wasn't.
    Car in front was already slowing down (without braking) for 2.5 seconds before pressing a brake pedal. In that time the focus was getting closer to car in front, and when car in front started braking, it took focus driver nearly 1 seconds to press his brakes.

It might look instant for you on the video, but in real life at that speeds and that gap, it's more than enough for focus driver to crash into car in front.

You're right, just watched it again and you can see the Focus catching up to the car in front at a serious pace before he goes for the brakes :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Scrolling through the dashcam thread there, and if there's one thing that I doubt I'll ever grasp, it is the roundabouts with traffic lights on them. Never was taught how to use them, don't know how to use them, and I'd probably shyt the bag if I stumbled upon one!

Always avoided the one in Galway until they got rid of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

You've not been to the big schmoke too recently then so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Mycroft H wrote: »
    You've not been to the big schmoke too recently then so?

Woops, meant to post that in the chat thread!!

No, been a good while, and when I do I usually don't drive around the city too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Couple of them out by the airport going up towards Swords. You get used to them.

1 from this morning and 1 from this evening on the ever reliable M50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Scrolling through the dashcam thread there, and if there's one thing that I doubt I'll ever grasp, it is the roundabouts with traffic lights on them. Never was taught how to use them, don't know how to use them, and I'd probably shyt the bag if I stumbled upon one!

Always avoided the one in Galway until they got rid of it!

Red = stop
    Green = go

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

This is one of those situations where the other guy can do exactly whatever the f**k he wants, and I'm not saying boo!!

especially when he has Robocop sat on the roofrack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Lane indiscipline of the finest order on the M50 this evening.

Lane 1 was freely moving at the speed limit (faster than this guy), and lane 2 was completely free.

not really causing anyone any harm, but still, numptiness of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Fight on M1 involving the Garda and three men.
    Not sure what happened, either is the liberal

http://theliberal.ie/video-watch-unbelievable-footage-of-gardai-and-two-men-have-a-fight-on-the-m1-motorway-this-afternoon/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

Was admiring the nice beemer in front of me in Maynooth this morning when this guy got sick of waiting in the queue.

Penalty point offences.
    Failure to obey red light - 3 points
    Failure to obey road markings - 1 point

Páid wrote: »
    Was admiring the nice beemer in front of me in Maynooth this morning when this guy got sick of waiting in the queue.

Penalty point offences.
    Failure to obey red light - 3 points
    Failure to obey road markings - 1 point

He indeed failed to obey road marking, but I can't agree he failed to obey traffic lights.
    He was turning right, and there was green arrow for right turn. No issue here.
    Just turning from incorrect lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    Fight on M1 involving the Garda and three men.
    Not sure what happened, either is the liberal

http://theliberal.ie/video-watch-unbelievable-footage-of-gardai-and-two-men-have-a-fight-on-the-m1-motorway-this-afternoon/
    So some genius pulled illegally into the hard shoulder on a motorway just to have a nose at what's going on? But didn't have the brains to turn the phone sideways while recording?

The Garda at the end seemed to be bating the crap out of yer man. I'm sure he was provoked, but you don't tend to see the UK police doing that. They'll have enough lads on the spot to restrain completely, without lashing out like that. Maybe he didn't have any other options if he was on his own at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

He indeed failed to obey road marking, but I can't agree he failed to obey traffic lights.
    He was turning right, and there was green arrow for right turn. No issue here.
    Just turning from incorrect lane.

I'm pretty sure that your logic is flawed for a number of reasons. Here are two of them;
    • You cannot have a situation where cars in the left lane breaking a red light get three points for breaking the light and turning left while other drivers get one point for breaking the light and turning right.
    • The test for breaking a red light was decided by Lord Denham a long time ago (correct me if I'm wrong). I cannot remember the exact case or when (but it wasn't recently). The test relates to when the car enters the junction, not when they leave it. Cars entering a junction with a green light but exiting that same junction having a red light are deemed not to have broken the red light. For example, a car waiting to turn right but delayed from doing so by oncoming traffic may enter when the light is green and leave when it is red. When the light is red you are deemed to have broken it if you pass the continuous stop line (or in the absence of a stop line, the red light itself).

The person in the Merc broke the red light when s/he passed the stop line in the left lane. The act of turning left or right after the offence is committed cannot absolve him/her of that offence. The sequence is also important. S/he broke the red light first, and secondly did not obey the road markings.

• Advertisement

Páid wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that your logic is flawed for a number of reasons. Here are two of them;
    • You cannot have a situation where cars in the left lane breaking a red light get three points for breaking the light and turning left while other drivers get one point for breaking the light and turning right.
    If he is turning in a direction of green arrow, then he is not breaking the red light.
    And of course - it is more dangerous to turn into direction where red light shows (because other traffic might have green in that direction), while it's not as dangerous to to turn within green arrow but from other lane, therefore fine for this is lower.
    [*]The test for breaking a red light was decided by Lord Denham a long time ago (correct me if I'm wrong). I cannot remember the exact case or when (but it wasn't recently). The test relates to when the car enters the junction, not when they leave it. Cars entering a junction with a green light but exiting that same junction having a red light are deemed not to have broken the red light. For example, a car waiting to turn right but delayed from doing so by oncoming traffic may enter when the light is green and leave when it is red. When the light is red you are deemed to have broken it if you pass the continuous stop line (or in the absence of a stop line, the red light itself).

The person in the Merc broke the red light when s/he passed the stop line in the left lane.
    He didn't break the red light, as he had green filter arrow to the right. If you are turning right, then red light doesn't apply to you.
    The act of turning left or right after the offence is committed cannot absolve him/her of that offence. The sequence is also important. S/he broke the red light first, and secondly did not obey the road markings.

Have a look at quotation from ROTR
    A green arrow (also known as a filter light) means that you may move on in the
    direction of the arrow, assuming it is safe and the way is clear, even if a red
    light is also showing.

Car was moving on in the direction of the arrow, so he was entitled to do it. Red light didn't apply to him.

Probably one of the closer encounters of near death i had.
    Was very close to head on collision at high speed, which could probably end up fatally for both of us.
    He came out of brow of the hill nearly in the middle of the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

Probably one of the closer encounters of near death i had.
    Was very close to head on collision at high speed, which could probably end up fatally for both of us.
    He came out of brow of the hill nearly in the middle of the road.

What was he/she doing. Not overtaking. Phone use ?

Damien360 wrote: »

He said some light came up on his dash, and he was trying to look what was it.
    He must have been around 80 years old or more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Did you chase him afterwards or something?

Thargor wrote: »
    Did you chase him afterwards or something?

I did. In case there was some damage to my car due to going into the grass. There wasn't though. And I just wanted to know the reason for his driving.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Damien360 wrote: »

It is very common, where drivers don't follow the road markings but cut across them. I drive from Sixmilebridge to Limerick through Cratloe and it is very common to see drivers maintaining a racing line instead of staying to the left.

mrsoundie wrote: »
    It is very common, where drivers don't follow the road markings but cut across them. I drive from Sixmilebridge to Limerick through Cratloe and it is very common to see drivers maintaining a racing line instead of staying to the left.

theres a backroad we travel regularly thats wide enough for 2 cars to pass on their respective sides of the road but has no markings and its not uncommon to see a car coming at you in the distance in the centre of the road. Some people treat country backroads like their own personal race tracks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

He said some light came up on his dash, and he was trying to look what was it.
    He must have been around 80 years old or more.

Must have been a Lane Departure Warning System or a Collision Avoidance System light....:rolleyes:

zapata wrote: »
    Must have been a Lane Departure Warning System or a Collision Avoidance System light....:rolleyes:
    It's more likely telling him to look out the front window! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

mrsoundie wrote: »

If you can't see a problem then it doesn't exist, everyone knows that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

neris wrote: »
    theres a backroad we travel regularly thats wide enough for 2 cars to pass on their respective sides of the road but has no markings and its not uncommon to see a car coming at you in the distance in the centre of the road. Some people treat country backroads like their own personal race tracks

I do exactly that on backroads where I can see the road ahead, on a country road where the ditches can be quite high and there are lots of concealed entrances I'd rather be in the middle of the road instead of hugging a ditch, it's no problem providing you move in on corners and on approaching cyclists/cars, not sure what it has to do with treating the road like a personal race track.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

neris wrote: »

I see no problem with that once they return in a timely fashion once they see you approaching. I do it all the time around where I live as many others would. Better to be out there away from gates and potholes.
    Of course for corners etc. I am back on my side but any straight lengths its to the middle we go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

When I used to do private ambulances work I did the phecc driving course; it was really just the ROSPA adapted for big vans with people in them.

Using all the road when appropriate was encouraged. For example; straight section of road with a junction to the left, you'd be encouraged to move more centre and increase your visibility of the junction and give yourself room to manoeuvre. This also gave those at the junction a clear view of an ambulances proceeding down the road and they'd be less likely to move out on top of you. Defensive driving really.

You'd also be giving a bollocking for letting yourself into a situation like that. Blind crest with restricted visibility; back off the throttle and be able to stop in the distance you can see clear.

Mycroft H wrote: »

You'd also be giving a bollocking for letting yourself into a situation like that. Blind crest with restricted visibility; back off the throttle and be able to stop in the distance you can see clear.

Well I was definitely able to stop in a distance I've seen to be clear.
    Problem was that other car was travelling at the same speed as me, or even higher.

Here's another one wary of keeping left on blind spots.

And some lady who I don't really know what was she thinking.
    70km/h to 0 braking works fine though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭khamilto

Never acknowledged, responded or even glanced at us throughout.

Oblivious or dangerously oblivious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

I did. In case there was some damage to my car due to going into the grass. There wasn't though. And I just wanted to know the reason for his driving.

You chased after a man for that?!! Jesus there was no need for that!

He wasn't that far over the line and the grass wasn't long enough to hurt your car, must've been long enough to hurt your feelings though...

He wasn't that far over the line and the grass wasn't long enough to hurt your car, must've been long enough to hurt your feelings though...
    There could have been a drain or rocks in that grass, just because you don't see it, it doesn’t mean it isn't there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

I would be rightly pissed at someone for doing that, "not that far" over the line doesn't cut it.
    You can hear Cinio's suspension take a battering to just miss a collision!
    Not his fault but his car takes the brunt of it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement