Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cam thread (car videos only)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

Clips from the last few days. Interesting.....

Worked on it for the past half an hour mainly because Shietpilot requested a video

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

simdan wrote: »
    Clips from the last few days. Interesting.....

Worked on it for the past half an hour mainly because Shietpilot requested a video

Having worked in Ballycoolin I've learned that all those roundabouts are a complete b*stard. Most of the roads have 2 lanes in and out of the roundabouts and nobody ever seems to use the correct lane.

shietpilot wrote:
    Having worked in Ballycoolin I've learned that all those roundabouts are a complete b*stard. Most of the roads have 2 lanes in and out of the roundabouts and nobody ever seems to use the correct lane.

Yeah, I think the main issue is most of the roundabouts around there have irregular rules which confuses people even more than a normal roundabout would, lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Here's one fresh off the dashcam this afternoon.

May 17th, 2016, 16:23
    Reg No : 06LK400
    Ballinteer roundabout between Dundrum and M50.

Lexus driver is in right hand turn only lane approaching the roundabout.
    He drives over the merging yellow junction box and continues in the right hand turn only lane.
    I'm in the correct lane to proceed straight through the roundabout.

He doesn't even indicate to force his way in.
    Legally, all he had to do was to circle the mini-roundabout to safety exit through the required exit, not force his way in from the wrong lane.

The sound is missing from the audio for some reason.
    I beeped the t*sser to stop before he hit me.
    We both stopped.
    Then as I'm about to move off again he barges in front and I beep him again as I had started to move off.

He gives me the finger.

Terrible driver, terrible attribute and his wife looked ashamed and embarrassed by his behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Sorry I laughed at the finger! What an absolute *******************

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

He drives over the merging yellow junction box and continues in the right hand turn only lane.

Legally, all he had to do was to circle the mini-roundabout to safety exit through the required exit, not force his way in from the wrong lane.

We both stopped.
    Then as I'm about to move off again he barges in front and I beep him again as I had started to move off.

He gives me the finger.

Terrible driver, terrible attribute and his wife looked ashamed and embarrassed by his behaviour.

That roundabout is crap.

What you do not show is the bus lane all the way up to the roundabout and everyone then has to change lane just before the roundabout to the left lane to proceed ahead.

When traffic is busy there is always a que in the bus lane and it always gets messy at that roundabout.

The mini roundabout is indeed mini and there is no way you would go all the way around reasonably without causing a bigger commotion. Always the same at peak traffic times.

I now avoid that route completely. The one just before Dundrum shopping centre about 2 roundabouts back from that one is just as bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

from today lazy pedestrians and a complete clown trying to get onto the M50

• Advertisement

He went through on the red light but the traffic was backed up off the m50 putting him across the cars coming from the left. Where im stopped is on the stop line for my lane his lane and a 3rd lane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jimbis

With regards to the ballinteer roundabout, them bus lanes aren't in use. the signage and road markings has been changed aswell.
    The lane Lexus asshole was in is right turn (or 3rd exit) only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

jimbis wrote: »
    With regards to the ballinteer roundabout, them bus lanes aren't in use. the signage and road markings has been changed aswell.
    The lane Lexus asshole was in is right turn (or 3rd exit) only.

The silver car in front of the Lexus also does the same but without cutting someone up, I assume it is a regular route for the too important to use the correct lane brigade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jimbis

Vic_08 wrote: »
    The silver car in front of the Lexus also does the same but without cutting someone up, I assume it is a regular route for the too important to use the correct lane brigade.

Yeah that, and it's just a ridiculous setup of a roundabout that has to deal with too much traffic. As said already the bus lanes 'looked' like they were in use for a long time, only a small orange sign saying they weren't. So there is a lot of confusion going on with drivers around there. Myself included and I travel it a lot.
    Plus it's you get the hierarchy that have just left a busy shopping trip in Harvey Nichols and sure the traffic should get out of there way because they're important. :D:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Vic_08 wrote: »

The right lane is too tempting to some people as the traffic in the left lane (to go straight on to the M50) can be about 30-40 cars long.

There are plans to change it so both lanes can go straight and then do a zipper merge on the other side of the roundabout but since people already struggle with the correct lane I don't have much faith in the zipper merge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

doesn't work elsewhere either...some people seem to think you all have to get into one queue even when there are two lanes, and then get upset when you zip merge correctly

Patww79 wrote: »
    It would if motorists first get to understand lane discipline, and are able to use both lanes without thinking that those in the fight lane are "queue jumpers" thus blocking them from merging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

Patww79 wrote: »

Usually only when the skin of my scrotum is waiting patiently for the 2 sides to converge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

We both stopped.

He gives me the finger.

That roundabout was the bane of my life for years. Always the same tossers who pull that sort of stunt every morning, you can spot them a mile off too. That and people going around the roundabout, which while legal, is still really wanky IMO.
    Damien360 wrote: »
    That roundabout is crap.

What you do not show is the bus lane all the way up to the roundabout and everyone then has to change lane just before the roundabout to the left lane to proceed ahead.

When traffic is busy there is always a que in the bus lane and it always gets messy at that roundabout.

The mini roundabout is indeed mini and there is no way you would go all the way around reasonably without causing a bigger commotion. Always the same at peak traffic times.

I now avoid that route completely. The one just before Dundrum shopping centre about 2 roundabouts back from that one is just as bad.
    As has been pointed out, the bus lane has always been out of use there. The Guards used to pull people over the odd morning a couple of years back for doing what that Lexus driver did, and it was great seeing them delayed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    To me thats stepping over the line, is there any way to report his behaviour?

I also don't see any taxi signs on it - it's down as being taxed as a Hackney.

F***ing @rsehole of a driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Ask them: https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

fullstop wrote: »
    That and people going around the roundabout, which while legal, is still really wanky IMO.
    I've seen the Gardai stopping people who try and do the full circle on one or two mornings too. Not sure what the legal basis for stopping them is, but good to see them being stopped all the same.
    OSI wrote: »
    I seem to remember that bus lane has always been marked as being inactive. It also ends at the set of lights before that junction.

The locals know that the bus lanes are out of use, which leads to fun and games at weekends, where 'tourists' coming to the Town Centre queue dutifully in the outside lanes while the locals zip through on the 'bus lanes'.

But really, for such a major road, why do we still have 'bus lane' markings after 10 years of no bus lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭CorkMan_

inforfun wrote: »

I've just spent some time reading through that twitter feed and it's scary the amount of cars detected with dangerous defects and others with no tax/insurance/nct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=111

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

in relation to traffic watch I have used it a few times for what I would consider to be "significant" violations....eg
    traveling as well over 100mph
    driving at nigh in fog, with overloaded trailer and no lights
    kids (note the s) standing in the front of a passenger car etc

There have always followed up, and always phoned day or weeks, or sometimes months later to give me an update on what they did (normally, just having a word with the driver)
    Also used it one when a fu(king nutjob did a uturn on a motorway because they realised they go on going northbound but wanted to go southbound...(they did uturn and drove southbound in northbound overtaking lane back to the nearest exit ~ 200 meters away) --- this is why I now have a dashcam

Another roundabout Fail.

Teaching people to drive incorrectly just to avoid a few seconds of traffic. Terrible

Another roundabout Fail.

Teaching people to drive incorrectly just to avoid a few seconds of traffic. Terrible

I wouldn't think an instructor would tell the driver to drive like that. I'd say the learner changed lane out of initiative and used the roundabout incorrectly.

When I was doing lessons the instructor would just tell me which turn to take and I'd drive it how I feel like and then if I made a mistake he would correct me or suggest something. Unless of course it's one of the first lessons the student is doing and he's telling them exactly when and what to do.

shietpilot wrote:
    I wouldn't think an instructor would tell the driver to drive like that. I'd say the learner changed lane out of initiative and used the roundabout incorrectly.

You'd hope so, but I can't see why he'd allow the driver to drive dangerously by switching lanes on a roundabout simply to "teach a lesson"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Surely he would have waved in apology for the learners mistake if it were a genuine error, not stuck his finger up?
    Sounds like it was purposeful guidance!

YbFocus wrote: »
    Surely he would have waved in apology for the learners mistake if it were a genuine error, not stuck his finger up?
    Sounds like it was purposeful guidance!

An instructor that doesn't know how to drive so... :(

I recently got flashed by a crawling Almera who was in the right lane doing 100 km/h on a 2 lane motorway (M4, speed limit was 120 km/h). What did I get flashed for? Undertaking after sitting behind for a few kilometres. Not a single feckin car in the left lane!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Almost lost the fron of my car today.
    Could have been driven onto the footpath as well into the young lad on the bicycle ..!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Seems to be ignorant of his blind spot there. Even so I'd usually hang back if on the inside of a large van or bus in anticipation of such a dyer move.

*snip*

I've bad memories of that Texaco station with cars queuing outside the station to get into it during lunch :p

shietpilot wrote:
    I've bad memories of that Texaco station with cars queuing outside the station to get into it during lunch

Patww79 wrote:

Oh yeah! It's the one, after way too many lunches there, I can never eat a chicken fillet roll again

Obviously not mine, all I can say is... Wow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Russian dashcam footage or in short: Suddenly... Lada!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

WTF happened at 1.30? Blowout?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

I don't know about anyone else, but when I watch those vids I see myself avoiding a collision in about 80% of the cases. OK when a car comes at you out of the blue and you are stopped, nothing can be done. But why fly up the inside of a car with a left indicator on? Why turn in front of a car crossing the road when you have a fair chance of getting round behind it? Etc Etc...

It's mad!

Falcon L wrote: »
    I don't know about anyone else, but when I watch those vids I see myself avoiding a collision in about 80% of the cases. OK when a car comes at you out of the blue and you are stopped, nothing can be done. But why fly up the inside of a car with a left indicator on? Why turn in front of a car crossing the road when you have a fair chance of getting round behind it? Etc Etc...

It's mad!

or why take a turn on a 4 lane road from the outside lane furtherst away from the centre of the road

neris wrote: »
    or why take a turn on a 4 lane road from the outside lane furtherst away from the centre of the road
    Agreed, but that's not my point. If you see someone doing something stupid like that, why would you blast into the situation. Avoiding a collision seems to be the last thing on their minds.

Agreed, but that's not my point. If you see someone doing something stupid like that, why would you blast into the situation. Avoiding a collision seems to be the last thing on their minds.

i think theres an attitude and mindset over there of "its the other drivers fault" which is why you see a driver who might be in the right now slowing down, yielding way or letting a forceful driver into a gap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

It's mad!

If that is your assumption of my video clip then I am sorry but you are wrong.
    Both lanes have routes marked on them.
    Left lane is for turning left at the end of the bridge or
    Carry on past that and take a left to head towards Waterford.
    Right lane is for Taking a rtight to the Grand Hotel area or continuing on and taking a right towards Cork.

That guy had no indicator on while I was behind him, still had no indicator on as I drove beside him. I was withing my rights to drive as I did,
    He indicated when he heard me blowing the horn when he was almost on my bonnet.
    You really would need to have been in the car with me to see just how close it was.
    And as for being the oh so great driver holding back.!
    I avoided collisions with over 40 years of driving.
    Never even hit a fly.
    I have been hit a few times though which were proven to be not my fault in any shape or form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

We know the videos we are watching contain incidents so I expect most of us are at a heightened state of alertness to try to spot in advance where the problem is going to come from. When the accident does happen it appears "bleedin obvious" to one and all that a particular driver was going to cause that accident.
    But it's not always obvious, did anyone else think that the black car at 0:24 was going to be the cause for that clip?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

It's mad!

Falcon it's just a bit different attitude to driving.

Drivers in Ireland were never too bothered about lane discipline, looking in the mirrors, indicating, obeying road markings, etc...
    That made everyone to use lots of common sense and generally assess and assume that other drivers might and very often will do something stupid.
    In the end of the day it's just a so called "defensive driving" and in short when you are driving in Ireland you have to assume other driver won't follow rules of the road exactly, as otherwise you'd crash very soon if you didn't take preventative action for mistakes of others.

I don't have experience in Russia, but in general in Poland, Slovakia, and most other ex communist countries probably including Russia, obeying basic rules like lane discipline, indicating, giving way to vehicles on main road, etc is much more strict. It's properly taught on driving lessons, much more enforced by police, etc...

Now - it looks good on paper, but in fact this makes drivers less aware of dangers and doesn't enforce "defensive driving" on them.

F.e. I might drive 300km in Poland and I won't see a single case of someone doing something forcing me to take evasive action.
    In Ireland within the same 300km, I'd probably need to take evasive action 10 times or more.

So if you're used to assuming every one is obeying basic rules, and don't expect people to break them, then you're driving more like thinking - if I have right of way, I can go - even at full possible speed.
    And here's the problem when people do it, and then from time to time someone else makes mistake.
    Such mistake done by someone else in Ireland would be prediced by most drivers, while in there is usually isn't, as people are not used to using "defensive driving" as normally there's no need.

That's how I see it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

CiniO wrote: »

Russians are dangerous because they are safe drivers and we are safe because we are dangerous?

OSI wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure he's referring to the Russian compilation video Vectra
    I'm pretty sure you're right.

• Advertisement

CiniO wrote: »
    Falcon it's just a bit different attitude to driving.

Drivers in Ireland were never too bothered about lane discipline, looking in the mirrors, indicating, obeying road markings, etc...
    That made everyone to use lots of common sense and generally assess and assume that other drivers might and very often will do something stupid.
    In the end of the day it's just a so called "defensive driving" and in short when you are driving in Ireland you have to assume other driver won't follow rules of the road exactly, as otherwise you'd crash very soon if you didn't take preventative action for mistakes of others.

I don't have experience in Russia, but in general in Poland, Slovakia, and most other ex communist countries probably including Russia, obeying basic rules like lane discipline, indicating, giving way to vehicles on main road, etc is much more strict. It's properly taught on driving lessons, much more enforced by police, etc...

Now - it looks good on paper, but in fact this makes drivers less aware of dangers and doesn't enforce "defensive driving" on them.

F.e. I might drive 300km in Poland and I won't see a single case of someone doing something forcing me to take evasive action.
    In Ireland within the same 300km, I'd probably need to take evasive action 10 times or more.

So if you're used to assuming every one is obeying basic rules, and don't expect people to break them, then you're driving more like thinking - if I have right of way, I can go - even at full possible speed.
    And here's the problem when people do it, and then from time to time someone else makes mistake.
    Such mistake done by someone else in Ireland would be prediced by most drivers, while in there is usually isn't, as people are not used to using "defensive driving" as normally there's no need.

Sorry, but I don't buy that at all.

If it was taught and rigidly enforced, there would be little or no bad bahaviour on Russian roads. There wouldn't be hours and hours of youtube dashcam video of crashes. But... there is.

I've driven in most European countries, east and west, and in quite a lot of other world countries as well. Ireland is not the backwater band of lunatics you like to portray us as. Aside from lane discipline (which could be very quickly corrected if the Gardai gave a toss) we are among the best drivers in the world. Try China or India if you want to find drivers to complain about.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement