Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cam thread (car videos only)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

vectra wrote: »
    If that is your assumption of my video clip then I am sorry but you are wrong.
    Both lanes have routes marked on them.
    Left lane is for turning left at the end of the bridge or
    Carry on past that and take a left to head towards Waterford.
    Right lane is for Taking a rtight to the Grand Hotel area or continuing on and taking a right towards Cork.

That guy had no indicator on while I was behind him, still had no indicator on as I drove beside him. I was withing my rights to drive as I did,
    He indicated when he heard me blowing the horn when he was almost on my bonnet.
    You really would need to have been in the car with me to see just how close it was.
    And as for being the oh so great driver holding back.!
    I avoided collisions with over 40 years of driving.
    Never even hit a fly.
    I have been hit a few times though which were proven to be not my fault in any shape or form.

you are quite right, however after 40 years you should be aware of blindspots and you drove into his. He might well have checked his mirror and seen no one. It's not an excuse, it's an explanation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

simdan wrote: »

Not wise to post a public video of driving 129kph on a national road. (around 17 second mark)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

As I unplugged my dash cam from the lighter socket the business end fell apart, it was a combined barrel type fuse holder which screws in and had come loose. I absentmindedly put a finger in to retrieve the missing parts and well..

Aaghhhhh!!!!

I'd say that I won't do that again, but then I should think I wouldn't do it the first time around either.

Quite a nice kick off it and a large spark!! I blew a blade fuse as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Amps can sure hurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

you are quite right, however after 40 years you should be aware of blindspots and you drove into his. He might well have checked his mirror and seen no one. It's not an excuse, it's an explanation

That comment makes me look like the culprit.
    As I said above.
    I you would need to have been in the car with me to decide for yourself.
    I did hold back as long as was needed.
    Did you notice the traffic in his lane was stopped?
    Did you see his indicator on when I was behind him?
    No.
    Are you saying I should also have stopped?
    Blind spot my Ar$e.
    I drove vans same size as that and bigger for a few years and covered 243 thousand miles in them. Never once got caught out with this excuse of "Blind spot"

Blind spot is an excuse for "OH $hit" I forgot to look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

CiniO wrote: »
    Falcon it's just a bit different attitude to driving.

Drivers in Ireland were never too bothered about lane discipline, looking in the mirrors, indicating, obeying road markings, etc...
    That made everyone to use lots of common sense and generally assess and assume that other drivers might and very often will do something stupid.
    In the end of the day it's just a so called "defensive driving" and in short when you are driving in Ireland you have to assume other driver won't follow rules of the road exactly, as otherwise you'd crash very soon if you didn't take preventative action for mistakes of others.

I don't have experience in Russia, but in general in Poland, Slovakia, and most other ex communist countries probably including Russia, obeying basic rules like lane discipline, indicating, giving way to vehicles on main road, etc is much more strict. It's properly taught on driving lessons, much more enforced by police, etc...

Now - it looks good on paper, but in fact this makes drivers less aware of dangers and doesn't enforce "defensive driving" on them.

F.e. I might drive 300km in Poland and I won't see a single case of someone doing something forcing me to take evasive action.
    In Ireland within the same 300km, I'd probably need to take evasive action 10 times or more.

So if you're used to assuming every one is obeying basic rules, and don't expect people to break them, then you're driving more like thinking - if I have right of way, I can go - even at full possible speed.
    And here's the problem when people do it, and then from time to time someone else makes mistake.
    Such mistake done by someone else in Ireland would be prediced by most drivers, while in there is usually isn't, as people are not used to using "defensive driving" as normally there's no need.

That's how I see it anyway.

Ireland has 2.5 times less fatalities per 100,000 vehicles than Poland and 8 times less than Russia. no doubt you will come up with some questionable logic to mitigate that but I know which I would consider safer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Not wise to post a public video of driving 129kph on a national road. (around 17 second mark)

its grand, he wasn't really going that fast, sure the video is sped up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

As I unplugged my dash cam from the lighter socket the business end fell apart, it was a combined barrel type fuse holder which screws in and had come loose. I absentmindedly put a finger in to retrieve the missing parts and well..

Aaghhhhh!!!!

I'd say that I won't do that again, but then I should think I wouldn't do it the first time around either.

Quite a nice kick off it and a large spark!! I blew a blade fuse as well.

We need a " Today I did something stupid " thread :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Bio Mech wrote: »
    its grand, he wasn't really going that fast, sure the video is sped up.

It was the fisheye lens judge! O:-)

vectra wrote: »
    That comment makes me look like the culprit.
    As I said above.
    I you would need to have been in the car with me to decide for yourself.
    I did hold back as long as was needed.
    Did you notice the traffic in his lane was stopped?
    Did you see his indicator on when I was behind him?
    No.
    Are you saying I should also have stopped?
    Blind spot my Ar$e.
    I drove vans same size as that and bigger for a few years and covered 243 thousand miles in them. Never once got caught out with this excuse of "Blind spot"

Blind spot is an excuse for "OH $hit" I forgot to look.

No I said you were quite right and entitled to be there, but maybe you should have maybe pulled a bit further forward or hung back in case he changed lanes without seeing you,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

No I said you were quite right and entitled to be there, but maybe you should have maybe pulled a bit further forward or hung back in case he changed lanes without seeing you,

I couldnt get any further ahead as the footpath beside me on my left comes out a bit so I had to hold back a bit extra. I honestly had no reason to hold back any longer as he was making no attempt to move across.
    But yes.
    You would want a thousand eyes extra senses to anticipate people idiocity on the roads.

Russians are dangerous because they are safe drivers and we are safe because we are dangerous?
    Having seen a fair number of those Russian crash cam videos, it appears that when they break the rules, they really BREAK them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Having seen a fair number of those Russian crash cam videos, it appears that when they break the rules, they really BREAK them!

Yeah, it's especially funny when an Irish driver goes nuts about someone taking the wrong lane on a roundabout, when their Russian counterparts are lucky to be alive after a small misdemeanour!

seems to me the Ruskys all drive a lot too fast and don't look where they are going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

It's 120Kp/h on this dual carriageway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

It's 120Kp/h on this dual carriageway

That doesnt look like a dual carriageway.....

Overtaking on a solid line too by the looks of it ;)

The speed limit is 120kph on that road :)
    Overtaking on a solid line too by the looks of it

No, I overtook at the safe point in the road when the solid line broke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

The speed limit is 120kph on that road :)

No. The section he is talking about is where you are shown doing over 120 on the R152, the long straight downhill section about 2k before Kilmoon Cross, an 80kph limit.

On the M2 you are clocked at over 140kph several times.

Not lecturing you on speeding BTW, although I do agree with the previous poster that it is not a great idea to be posting it online. I would also suggest removing the speed readout imprint on the dashcam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jimbis

Dashcam/gps speed readings wouldn't hold up in court or even be entertained by a gard viewing it online. Although if the worst happened, you had an accident and you were accused of speeding etc it could come in handy to the opposed sides solicitor to hold up in court.
    Long shot I know but won't do any harm to blur it out in future ;).

Vic_08 wrote:
    No. The section he is talking about is where you are shown doing over 120 on the R152, the long straight downhill section about 2k before Kilmoon Cross, an 80kph limit.

Ah didn't even realise that. Lol. Too much discussion and not enough videos. I'm removing the video as it was purely to show the drive to ballycoolin. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Chippy01

jimbis wrote: »
    Dashcam/gps speed readings wouldn't hold up in court or even be entertained by a gard viewing it online. Although if the worst happened, you had an accident and you were accused of speeding etc it could come in handy to the opposed sides solicitor to hold up in court.
    Long shot I know but won't do any harm to blur it out in future ;).

Although dash-cam footage wouldn't hold up in court or even be entertained viewing by a Gard in most traffic cases as evidence, you can bet your bottom dollar that if serious injuries or fatalities occurred at an accident, that dash-cam footage would be vital.
    As for blurring out the gps info, there are enough algorithms out there to fairly accurately estimate the speed of any vehicle recording any footage.

No, I overtook at the safe point in the road when the solid line broke.

Didn't look like it was was a broken line to me.
    Video is gone now so can't see for sure

Didn't look like it was was a broken line to me. Video is gone now so can't see for sure

This thread has gone to ****e since chat was allowed..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Just ignore all the perfect drivers who never post any footage and just judge :pac:

shietpilot wrote: »
    Just ignore all the perfect drivers who never post any footage and just judge :pac:

That directed at me? I post videos.... Funny when someone points out something the video gets removed.

That directed at me? I post videos.... Funny when someone points out something the video gets removed.

No, it wasn't direct at anyone in particular. There's always people who will come here and blame posters for their driving yet they never seem to post videos themselves ;)

More clips PLEASE!

Lads, got the bonus in work in the form of a one for all voucher. Anywhere to pick up a dashcam? The ones in halfords are spendy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

This thread has predictably turned to ****.

• Advertisement

Mycroft H wrote: »
    Lads, got the bonus in work in the form of a one for all voucher. Anywhere to pick up a dashcam? The ones in halfords are spendy

There's a thread http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056815237/138/#post99775571

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

[quote="CiniO;99770914"

I don't have experience in Russia, but in general in Poland, Slovakia, and most other ex communist countries probably including Russia, obeying basic rules like lane discipline, indicating, giving way to vehicles on main road, etc is much more strict. [/quote]

I'd have to disagree there, compared to the Uk lane discipline less roundabouts is fairly decent. I work with in a mainly Eastern European workforce. All the Polish guys say despite a better driving education the driving in Poland is s*it. So much that the bikers won't ride at home. But I guess there is always going to be different opinions.

Caliden wrote: »
    This thread has predictably turned to ****.

Ah, people need a thicker skin. It's all a bit of fun sure. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

One from last year. The young lady was having a laugh with her kid in the back seat. She was still laughing when she passed me. I wasn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Falcon L wrote: »
    One from last year. The young lady was having a laugh with her kid in the back seat. She was still laughing when she passed me. I wasn't.

Nuts!!
    I really hope she learns from it.
    Fair play to you being on the ball and slowing right down.
    Reminded me of this excellent ad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

CiniO wrote: »
    Falcon it's just a bit different attitude to driving.

Drivers in Ireland were never too bothered about lane discipline, looking in the mirrors, indicating, obeying road markings, etc...
    That made everyone to use lots of common sense and generally assess and assume that other drivers might and very often will do something stupid.
    In the end of the day it's just a so called "defensive driving" and in short when you are driving in Ireland you have to assume other driver won't follow rules of the road exactly, as otherwise you'd crash very soon if you didn't take preventative action for mistakes of others.

I don't have experience in Russia, but in general in Poland, Slovakia, and most other ex communist countries probably including Russia, obeying basic rules like lane discipline, indicating, giving way to vehicles on main road, etc is much more strict. It's properly taught on driving lessons, much more enforced by police, etc...

Now - it looks good on paper, but in fact this makes drivers less aware of dangers and doesn't enforce "defensive driving" on them.

F.e. I might drive 300km in Poland and I won't see a single case of someone doing something forcing me to take evasive action.
    In Ireland within the same 300km, I'd probably need to take evasive action 10 times or more.

So if you're used to assuming every one is obeying basic rules, and don't expect people to break them, then you're driving more like thinking - if I have right of way, I can go - even at full possible speed.
    And here's the problem when people do it, and then from time to time someone else makes mistake.
    Such mistake done by someone else in Ireland would be prediced by most drivers, while in there is usually isn't, as people are not used to using "defensive driving" as normally there's no need.

That's how I see it anyway.

I can tell you've never driven from Warsaw to Bialystok then. Or Bialystok to Augustow?
    You have trucks constantly overtaking other trucks. Trucks which just pull out on the motorway whenever they want.
    You have drivers up your hole more often than not.
    You have roads which have gotten deformed from the trucks driving on them to the point where the car jumps from one side of the road to the other.
    Cars overtaking you when there is traffic coming and then forcing their way in and God forbid you get pissed and flash them.
    Yes, they seem to have better awareness here when it comes to say lane discipline on the motorway but I can't agree with you that in Poland you won't find these examples.
    Also, on a 300km stretch of road in Ireland you are going to be taking evasive action every 30km? That to me says that possibly you panic easily.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭khamilto

Mycroft H wrote: »

http://www.halfords.ie/technology/dash-cams/dash-cams/transcend-drivepro-220-dash-cam

I'm happy enough with mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 icv1111

Despite all the regular arguing, can we please never ban chat in this thread again because I feel like thats what the mods are going to do soon.

arguing is part of the fun, and no discussion allowed is terrible. just thought id say that.

icv1111 wrote: »
    Despite all the regular arguing, can we please never ban chat in this thread again because I feel like thats what the mods are going to do soon.

arguing is part of the fun, and no discussion allowed is terrible. just thought id say that.

Exactly, it should be viewed as constructive criticism ... if I was doing something that could be dangerous and wasn't fully aware of it, I'd be thanking the person that brought it to my attention. Whether I take it on board or not is up to me then after that. But I wouldn't get personally offended by it.

I too would like the chat to remain - it is interesting to hear others opinions and what they would do in similar situations.

Nobody here are the police, so please let the chat and feedback continue in good nature !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

Kid in the back had no seatbelt on, knocked on the window and showed her my belt. Think she told him to put it on in the end.

The fisheye lens distorts the image here, she felt a lot closer from the driver seat.

Behavior like this is criminal in my opinion. Would love to see cameras on all busy hatching to issue fines for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Mini Compilation ...

• Advertisement

dickwod1 wrote: »
    Mini Compilation ...

That Focus doing a U-turn when he saw the Gardai, what a moron :eek: You have to wonder what goes through some people's heads...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Yeah 13.5.16 they were just setting up there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

They always have checkpoints at the graveyard, it's a good spot for them because you only see them as you're coming over the brow of the hill towards Mulhuddart and towards Ttown, there's the bend just before it, so they catch loads out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

another roundabout retard from today, nothing serious just careless driving again sorry for the quality the memory card on my good cam packed up so had to resort to crap old one)

Patww79 wrote:

No, the quality looks good to me. It sometimes takes an hour or so to load correctly on your own laptop or phone. Thanks

You should split the clip and speed most of it up, just to make the clips shorter and easier to concentrate on.

Here's an example below. Not much going on in this clip unfortunately.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement