Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cam thread (car videos only)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I hadn't noticed it tbh, but obviously wouldn't be in favour - an eye for an eye leaves everybody blind and all that..

That's not to say I don't think the punishment handed out was any way proportionate - the least this guy should have got was manslaughter..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I kinda know what I'm getting myself into here, sigh, and sometimes I even agree with your arguments...

...but the landrover aggressively passed a white car on the left, THEN swung across that car AND the path of the oncoming car.

That is not just idle passive stupidity (granted, plenty of that on display on the roads every day of the week), that is out and out deliberate, calculated, agrressive @ssholing.

edited

That's true. Landrover looked like a lunatic driver who didn't bother to look or care, just was interested in following other car no matter what. I'd a disgrace of a driving indeed.

But for me it would make absolutely no difference if someone like that passed my patch and caused me to crash into him, or if it would be that mentioned by you idle passive stupidity of someone who just can't be bothered to properly look if his path is clear for the manouver.

Once you're injured or dead, what difference does it make if you were killed by someone's agression or stupidity?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

CiniO wrote: »
    Once you're injured or dead, what difference does it make if you were killed by someone's agression or stupidity?

Ultimately it makes no difference to the victim, you are right there. But it makes a world of difference to the sentencing of the perpetrator.

You don't consciously lose concentration, it's usually a result of being distracted. While that is not excusable, it should not carry the same charge as a horrific accident caused by conscious actions like road rage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Huge difference in my eyes.
    With aggressive driving (or even drunk / tiredness), you should be fully aware you are driving with increased risk to you and others. It's almost aligned to premeditated murder.
    'Stupid' driving may be just as risky, but you are less aware of the consequences. This is more down the manslaughter route.

Also, we all make mistakes... we don't all drive like aggresive @ssholes.

I reckon Judges would look much more favorably on drivers who made more simple mistakes, even if consequences were dire.

Although, I will admit the lines can get fuzzy the more you get into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

From a criminal justice point of view the intent/motivation for the actions should matter.

You're correct in that it really makes no difference to the victims.

In the real world, the reason for this accident COULD make a difference, from a driver education point of view.

I don't think there's any point in telling thicks not to be thicks. They're thick. You could tell them everyday not to be thick and they'll still be thick. Showing them what can happen because of being thick won't really work any better. Human policing rather than automated vans is the only way to weed them out.

But, I DO think there is benefit in telling people not to turn into rage monsters because of a slight at a roundabout. And illustrating what can happen if you do can work I think.
    Modern human beings should be able to take a breath and decide that another driver inconveniencing or offending you should not result in stone age aggression. Some people are usually reasonable people but have a pre disposition to "UNGA-BUNGA! ME ANGRY!", but for most of them at least seeing how this aggression can have drastic unintended consequences should be enough to make them reel in the inner caveman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

First dashcam post using a mini 0806

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Imagine your daughter asking you "when will I feel my legs again Dad?" every day.:(

No words for that sack of sh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Jerk Cyclist breaks a red light at speed then harasses an innocent motorist.
    Also I believe passes through a green pedestrian signal with lots of pedestrians actively crossing.

All cars are turning right on a green arrow.

Cyclist is 100% in the wrong here.

He was shouting and gesturing violently, and maybe struck the car my view was obstructed.

The car pulled in to the side, maybe to check for damage?
    An old man got out, I paused just ahead and looked back to watch I think if it kicked off I might have went back but who knows. Other cars behind me also stopped.

I hadn't seen where the cyclist came from and thought he may have been turning with the traffic, thanks to the dashcam I can now see he was just a total wanker.

A better picture, but still ****e.
    20160527-QuickTime%20Player-001_zpsajkkm0v2.jpg

His backpack was around the same colour as copper grease
    ultimatecoppergrease.jpg

If anybody knows him, show him that clip and maybe he will change his ways before he causes an OAP to have a heart attack.
    I hope that guy was alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Doodoo wrote: »
    First dashcam post using a mini 0806

The van with the trailer at the end. Why oh why did he change lane?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

I encounter this every day, why are they drawn to lane 2, I can't fathom it. Lots of "professional" lorry drivers do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

I wish I had a dashcam.... Cork South Ring yesterday, guy cruising along middle lane, cars passing him on both sides.....not unusual? Well this guy was driving a tractor and silage trailer.

Traffic was light , Kinsale rd flyover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

The black audi a4 was also travelling in the far right lane with the other lanes empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

If it was me, i would have followed the white van @46s or have been out before him, and let everyone else do what they got to do.

I see where the issue is on 2nd and 3rd video clip, but what is the issue on 1st one?
    I can't see anything wrong there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Avensis driver is a big part of the problem, he jumps into the hard shoulder before the overtake, pretty much encouraging it. If anyone happened to be in the hard shoulder it was game over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

kiddums wrote: »
    Yeah, its on theLletterkenny side of Newtowncunningham if I'm not mistaken.
    All the clips look like they're going from Derry to Letterkenny

A road where there is ample opportunity to pass legally :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

Meanwhile in Russia....a lucky escape for a motorcyclist!

Stolen from the cool videos thread, near suicidal bike riding Indian style.
    QUOTE=bnt;99872298]

I spent two weeks in Bangalore with a driver, and that was quite enough for me.[/QUOTE]

• Advertisement

yes I've been to Bangalore and we did many hundreds of miles with a driver, quite an experience. No way would I drive there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

yes I've been to Bangalore and we did many hundreds of miles with a driver, quite an experience. No way would I drive there.

I take it that insurance is not mandatory there, no company could remain solvent covering driving in that place :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

Dash Cam falls out and catches the car rolling through the air!

Happens in slow-mo at 1:42

I take it that insurance is not mandatory there, no company could remain solvent covering driving in that place :D

I didn't dare ask. Possibly we were insured as our vehicles were kind of government controlled, dept of tourism licensed type of things as far as I could tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I didn't dare ask. Possibly we were insured as our vehicles were kind of government controlled, dept of tourism licensed type of things as far as I could tell.

Determining who was at fault would be a nightmare in this kind of traffic.

Yet we complain about a guy who didn't indicate, or someone skipping a queue on a roundabout :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Seems like this guy saw the traffic light but just couldn't be bothered waiting :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

shietpilot wrote: »
    Seems like this guy saw the traffic light but just couldn't be bothered waiting :pac:

Regularly happens at those lights. They just can't be bothered waiting.

Regularly happens at those lights. They just can't be bothered waiting.

maybe then there should be a filter there rather than an absolute stop?

A lot of our road junctions could be improved a lot but stay the same year after year. Perhaps a permissive "turn on red" like in the States should be introduced at some junctions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Perhaps a permissive "turn on red" like in the States should be introduced at some junctions.

They do that as well in Lithuania and it works a treat (I lived/worked there for 18 months), I believe it's only them & the Yank that do it!!
    great system.

maybe then there should be a filter there rather than an absolute stop?

A lot of our road junctions could be improved a lot but stay the same year after year. Perhaps a permissive "turn on red" like in the States should be introduced at some junctions.

Logically a yield sign would do but traffic can be coming from under the bridge and from the N7 at the same time and it's not clearly visible so the traffic lights are good there.

would not a flashing orange serve the same purpose if a Yield wont do it?

That's pretty much what happens whenever there is a yield sign and heavy traffic. People put their hands up and think they magically get right of way to pull out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

plus many councils seem to have lost the run of themselves installing traffic lights at every possible location in the last few years.
    Apparently a set of lights can cost anything between €10k - €100k so some company is happy about this.

• Advertisement

josip wrote: »
    plus many councils seem to have lost the run of themselves installing traffic lights at every possible location in the last few years.
    Apparently a set of lights can cost anything between €10k - €100k so some company is happy about this.

They've done many around my area in the last few months and at first I was annoyed with them but they have actually made the traffic a lot better at rush hour. People struggle yielding or waiting for a gap in traffic so I think traffic lights work for the most part, except for the people who don't give a toss.
    OSI wrote: »
    If I see another set of lights go up immediately after a roundabout exit I'm gonna go ****ing barmy!

Yes, those as extremely stupid and only cause cars to stop in the middle of the roundabout blocking exits for other people...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

They keep putting up lights every where as if they don't spend all 100% of their annual budget, they'll lose what they didn't spend from the following years budget and so on....

so traffic lights for the sake of traffic lights (theres a stretch of the Malahide Road that has about 5/6 sets of lights in the space of about 300m), it's lunacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

OSI wrote: »
    If I see another set of lights go up immediately after a roundabout exit I'm gonna go ****ing barmy!

The new ones on the Fonthill road are lunacy. From Liffey valley roundabout to the retail park there are four separate sets. That's only about 600 meters aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

You haven't lived until you've experienced the traffic lights in Sligo's inner 'relief' road..

They do that as well in Lithuania and it works a treat (I lived/worked there for 18 months), I believe it's only them & the Yank that do it!!
    great system.

It's done nearly everywhere in Europe, and possibly further than that.

Many countries introduce green arrow in addition to red light which indicated it's allright to turn (left or right depending if RHD o LHD).

• Advertisement

It's done nearly everywhere in Europe, and possibly further than that.

Many countries introduce green arrow in addition to red light which indicated it's allright to turn (left or right depending if RHD o LHD).
    The "Left filter" light is usually only on when there is a red for oncoming traffic, so it is unlike the flashing amber or the US style turn on red, where you have to give way to traffic turning coming in the opposite direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

just some unexciting stuff caught over the last few days. cams been playing up last while aswell and of course the 1 or 2 good things i thought i captured were never recorded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

neris wrote: »
    just some unexciting stuff caught over the last few days. cams been playing up last while aswell and of course the 1 or 2 good things i thought i captured were never recorded
    I've always wondered about that section of road where the taxi was pulled in in your video. It's marked as a (albeit short) hard shoulder, but it's treated as two lanes, especially at busy times. I wonder could you be done for it.

simdan wrote: »
    Another roundabout fail from today.. A lot closer than it looks!

No harm in this, even if it causes the car on the roundabout to slow up a bit.

The type of entry onto the roundabout makes it far more efficient for those in the Clio's lane (if there were any).

Nothing more wasteful than sitting in a lane waiting to get on a roundabout whilst the car in front is waiting for a gap big enough for an artic with a full load to get into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

salonfire wrote: »
    No harm in this, even if it causes the car on the roundabout to slow up a bit.

Is that what it's called these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

simdan wrote: »
    Garda fast driving, Coast Guards & Bad Roundabouts - Hopefully more exciting than usual! :)

Ballycoolin..

The trucker didn't cause that, it was the car in front of you that sped up and blocked him from passing. You were doing 75ish when the truck passed you and caught up with the white car but high 80s by the time you took the exit.

I have had this carry-on numerous times, come up behind someone slower so go to overtake and they speed up when I am beside them. I don't know what it is, not liking being passed by a large vehicle or maybe they like having a moving wall of metal a few feet from their face, either way it is bloody annoying and not the fault of the truck in the overtaking lane.

Yes, it is hard to judge from the dashcam if it was too close or not

But, in general, I am saying it is better people aren't afraid to cut in (safely of course) even if it causes the car on the roundabout to slow up. It increases the efficiency of the roundabout as a whole.

In heavy traffic, if everyone waits for the perfect gap, then the entry lanes get backed up quickly.

I see too many drivers are completely intolerant of easing off just a little to allow someone else in (whether it is onto a roundabout or switching lane).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Oh yeah, that too. It's really obvious if you use cruise control, end up playing leapfrog with the morons.

Difference in a truck or bus is that you can't just put the boot down to get past them once you are at the limiter, if they decide to match your speed you are stuck with waiting them out or slowing down to get back in behind them where as you said they slow back down again. Had a few instances of that on single carriage roads as well, one instance I was very close to intentionally sideswiping the fukker off the road to avoid a head-on.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement