Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cam thread (car videos only)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭ofcork

I had one like that roundabout yesterday guy into righthand lane righthand indicator on and youve guessed it takes second exit cutting me up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

ofcork wrote:
    I had one like that roundabout yesterday guy into righthand lane righthand indicator on and youve guessed it takes second exit cutting me up.

It's mad isn't it.. The big problem is, most of these people think they are 100% in the right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

simdan wrote: »
    It's mad isn't it.. The big problem is, most of these people think they are 100% in the right.

My thoughts exactly. But, who taught them this in the first place and it is quite common with older drivers.

Wait a minute, are you suggesting the guy at the roundabout was in the wrong? What rule did he break? The only dangerous driving I see is you undertaking him on a roundabout? :confused:

Also maybe the reason he moved into the left at the second roundabout might have something to do with the road markings.

LIGHTNING wrote:
    Uh oh you called it the "fast lane" that will rub people the wrong way. In regard to the roundabout one he is entitled to take that exit. Two lanes entry and exit with his exit being at roughly 12 o'clock. He isn't cutting you up in the video either. He also indicates as soon as he passes the first exit too. Am I missing something here? There is a whopper of a discussion about this on the front page.

Oops, didn't realise I called it the fast lane. Yes, I understand he isnt cutting me up, although why would he be in the right lane at all? The right lane up ahead is for right turn only. His driving would have been a problem in busy traffic. He was only indicating left off of the first roundabout, not to change lanes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

What a dick

Wait a minute, are you suggesting the guy at the roundabout was in the wrong? What rule did he break? The only dangerous driving I see is you undertaking him on a roundabout? :confused:

Also maybe the reason he moved into the left at the second roundabout might have something to do with the road markings.

Undertaking on a roundabout? LOL, No, the lane was mine!

Maybe you are one of the people who doesn't understand roundabout rules!

The left lane is for turning left or going straight up until 12 o'clock

The right lane is for turning right or going straight, as long as the exit is past 12 o'clock.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Now I don't know where the video is taken from but the first roundabout shows no marking (about the right lane being right only etc) to say he is perfectly entitled to take that line in the first round about. The second one does have markings so he indicates and goes into the correct lane. Is he supposedly to magically know every road? He does nothing wrong at all.

?? The right lane on a roundabout is for right turns only as per my reply above

So because a driver may not know the road you think he made a mistake? Ok then....

No, I don't mean that! I mean on any roundabout. If going straight on a roundabout up to 12 o'clock, you should be in the left lane.

FYI..

Going straight ahead (or any exit to the left of 12 o'clock)

Approach in the left-hand lane (unless road markings say otherwise) but do not indicate 'left' until you have passed the exit before the one you intend to take. Where traffic conditions dictate otherwise, for example a long line of traffic in the left lane signalling left or roads works in the left lane, you may follow the course shown by the red line.

When leaving the roundabout take extra care at all exits, checking for other road users - for example, cyclists and motorcyclists who may be continuing on the roundabout.

Taking any later exits (those past 12 o'clock - right)

Approach in the right-hand lane (unless road markings say otherwise), indicate 'right' on your approach and leave your indicator on until you have passed the exit before the one you intend to take. Then change to the 'left' turn indicator. Move over towards the left on the roundabout and continue signalling left to leave.

Taken from the RSA website - http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/junctions-roundabouts/roundabouts.html

• Advertisement

^ From the very link you posted

Ct6LRhe.png

That's what he did for the first roundabout which was fine. Then he changed to the correct lane in the second one. How are you not getting it?

The first line states this under that photo

Approach in the left-hand lane (unless road markings say otherwise)

There were no markings on the road stating that he can go straight across the roundabout in the right hand lane. Hence he should have been in the left lane as any other roundabout (unless road markings say otherwise)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Undertaking on a roundabout? LOL, No, the lane was mine!

Maybe you are one of the people who doesn't understand roundabout rules!

The left lane is for turning left or going straight up until 12 o'clock

The right lane is for turning right or going straight, as long as the exit is past 12 o'clock.

The problem is that there isn't actually any rules for roundabouts as such, what is written in the ROR is not what is written in the actual laws for traffic on roundabouts, 12 o clock etc isn't written anywhere in the laws.

Basically it's something the RSA made up as a guide for best practice.

GM228 wrote: »
    The problem is that there isn't actually any rules for roundabouts as such, what is written in the ROR is not what is written in the actual laws for traffic on roundabouts, 12 o clock etc isn't written anywhere in the laws.

Wow, If it's not written into law, is the ROR for guidance only?

If there are road markings showing you what lane you should be in, follow those directions

First round about didn't say you couldn't take the right lane.

When you are coming up to a roundabout, look for directional arrows, road markings or signs which might be indicating which lane you should use for the exit you're taking.

I didn't see anything in the first roundabout, I did for the second one. So the guy is perfectly OK.

Exactly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

How woud you apply them rules to the walkinswtown roundabout with 6 exits?

I personally use Lane 1 for exit 1 & 2 ,Lane 2 for exit 3 & 4 & Lane 3(Inside lane) for exit 5 & 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Wow, If it's not written into law, is the ROR for guidance only?

Yes the ROR book is not a source of law, it's a guidance document produced by the RSA.

There is actually very little in law about rules for roundabouts!

These are the proper rules for roundabouts:-

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/si/182/made/en/print
    15. When entering a roundabout, a driver shall turn to the left.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2012/si/332/made/en/print
    5. (1) Where traffic sign number RUS 049 (mini-roundabout ahead) is provided in association with traffic sign number RRM 033 (mini-roundabout installation), a driver of a vehicle when entering the mini-roundabout shall yield to any traffic on the mini-roundabout, turn to the left and, if proceeding around the roundabout, shall do so in the direction indicated by the directional arrows displayed on the traffic signs referred to.

(2) A vehicle shall not be driven, wholly or partly, along or across a mini-roundabout installation where the road marking traffic sign number RRM 033 is provided.

Strange how the mention of directional arrows only come into play for mini-roundabouts and not standard roundabouts.

Again nowhere in the rules of the road says that he did anything wrong.

If taking any exit from the 6 o'clock to the 12 o'clock position, motorists should generally approach in the left-hand lane.

"Generally" doesn't mean you are wrong if you don't.

If there are road markings showing you what lane you should be in, follow those directions

First round about didn't say you couldn't take the right lane.

When you are coming up to a roundabout, look for directional arrows, road markings or signs which might be indicating which lane you should use for the exit you're taking.

I didn't see anything in the first roundabout, I did for the second one. So the guy is perfectly OK.

Using this thinking, why not take any lane when approaching a roundabout and hope for the best?

Why if you should "generally" be in the left lane to go left or straight would you ever decide to take the right lane, "generally" for right turning only or past 12 o'clock.

That's my question..

^

Now you are just being silly, which sounds like you know your wrong and just trying to derail it.

Imagine if there is a lot of traffic taking the first exit and the entire left lane is backed up. Are you supposed to sit there and wait if you are taking the next exit? No of course you take the right lane so you can take the lane you wanted (2nd one).

There was no traffic, so he should be in the left hand lane unless he was turning right. You are correct if the left hand lane was full of traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

Can we please, please not have the roundabout debate again?

More vids please. :)

• Advertisement

^

Now you are just being silly, which sounds like you know your wrong and just trying to derail it.

Imagine if there is a lot of traffic taking the first exit and the entire left lane is backed up. Are you supposed to sit there and wait if you are taking the next exit? No of course you take the right lane so you can take the lane you wanted (2nd one).
    Ah well, there's no point in arguing about it. I believe that you should be in the lanes as I mentioned above on all roundabouts unless there are specific road markings. Personally I wouldn't move to the right lane simply to avoid traffic to go straight across the roundabout. Doing this causes delays near wher I work on a daiy basis.

It must just be me.. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

... LOL, No, the lane was mine!

I think this may be part of the problem here....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

These roundabout debates just keep coming round and around and around. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

I feel like I should go for a drive just to get some footage :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭ofcork

Did you ever get a feeling with someone that you know they are going to do something stupid and you anticipate it.

ofcork wrote:
    Did you ever get a feeling with someone that you know they are going to do something stupid and you anticipate it.

Yeah, it's a very strange feeling. I posted a clip a few months ago on this thread. I slowed down with a weird feeling something was going to happen. Then a woman just pulls out in front of me at a Stop sign. Pretty scary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

What a day... I'll throw together a compilation tomorrow. It was that bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    What a dick

What a dick. Christ almighty what on earth was he thinking? :eek:

(Also, I spent the first 10 seconds going...."where the flip is the ambulance?" :o)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

He's been caught and named and shamed. He's actually a local politician and commissioner for public safety.

This guy: http://www.cas.sk/clanok/406103/prehovoril-vodic-z-videa-so-sanitkou-poslanecky-kandidat-jeho-vysvetlenie-vas-dostane-do-vyvrtky/

• Advertisement

Hal1 wrote: »
    He's been caught and named and shamed. He's actually a local politician and commissioner for public safety.

This guy: http://www.cas.sk/clanok/406103/prehovoril-vodic-z-videa-so-sanitkou-poslanecky-kandidat-jeho-vysvetlenie-vas-dostane-do-vyvrtky/
    google translate is boggled. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

Makes for an interesting clickbait title though!

"He spoke of the video driver ambulances and parliamentary candidate: his explanation gets you into a tailspin!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

sheep? wrote: »
    What a dick. Christ almighty what on earth was he thinking? :eek:

(Also, I spent the first 10 seconds going...."where the flip is the ambulance?" :o)

I had this happen yesterday just outside shannon.. not as bad but they guy was using the Ambo to make some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Unfortunately he's far from the only one at it, a search on youtube for "blocks ambulance" yields a lot of &^*#s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

few unexciting spots from last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

In case anyone is interested Halfords are doing E20 off online click and collect if you trade in an old dash cam.

Replaced my mini801 with the new Nextbase 312 for a net E98 including 32gb SD card today.

Seems pretty good and a step up from the 801 which I'd noticed had started to have gaps between clips.

Can download files from it via WiFi!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Seem like a good deal. Did you fit it, does it obscure your view in anyway and is it noticeable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Seem like a good deal. Did you fit it, does it obscure your view in anyway and is it noticeable?

It sits a little lower than the mini801, pretty much level with the mirror. Suction gimbal mount. Very easy to click camera on and off the mount. Video quality is very good.

Yes it's noticeable as they all are. I'd actually like a camera that is completely hidden but very few if any on the market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭DakarVert

I'v a Nextbase 402G, I'v found its lost suction twice over the last 6 months.... I'v stuck a small cable tie around the base and mirror leg.

Completely hidden but stops it from falling. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Bobjims

Classic example of careless, impatient and aggressive driving from this guy on the N52 just south of Tullamore:

This doesn't really need a description...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Bobjims wrote: »
    Classic example of careless, impatient and aggressive driving from this guy on the N52 just south of Tullamore:

Absolute nut job. It doesn't really help that there are 3 cars and 1 truck leaving too small a gap for him to safely overtake one car at a time though.

Unavoidable rabbit ended up in front of me the other night unfortunately:

Unavoidable rabbit ended up in front of me the other night unfortunately:

Very Sad :(

These are drivers that cause accidents on these wide roads.

Oh, I don't mean the driver in the BMW, I mean those that won't show some consideration and pull into the hard shoulder a bit when someone behind you is clearly trying to overtake.

Or even allow enough room in front of you to allow someone overtaking you to get back in.

The RSA and 'won't someone please think of the children' brigade will be berating the BMW. And not the slow moving convey that won't allow for overtaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

salonfire wrote: »
    These are drivers that cause accidents on these wide roads.

Oh, I don't mean the driver in the BMW, I mean those that won't show some consideration and pull into the hard shoulder a bit when someone behind you is clearly trying to overtake.

Or even allow enough room in front of you to allow someone overtaking you to get back in.

The RSA and 'won't someone please think of the children' brigade will be berating the BMW. And not the slow moving convey that won't allow for overtaking.

Took the words out of my mouth!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

salonfire wrote: »

Majority of videos on here show near accidents caused by slow unfriendly driving pissing people off into driving bad. Speed or drink are only 2 illegal things in Ireland.

Going down a slip road onto dual carriageway in Athlone yesterday. Cops were parked up doing a sneaky speed trap. Car in front was doing no more than 15mph merging right out into passing lane right on front of them. Cars swerving, flashing beeping all over the road. Amazed nobody crashed. Cops sat there watching.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement