Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cam thread (car videos only)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Over the speed limit is illegal.
    Sooner some drivers fet this the better.

Whatever happened to being willing to wait until its safe and legal to pass?
    When something goes wrong, drivers have to stop then. Why do people convince themselves that they are sooo important/have such busy lices etc that it entitles them to treat other road users in such aggressive ways.

And speed traps arent 'sneaky' or whatever term is preferred.
    They're there for a reason.
    And imho there should be a lot more of them and the gardai should be a lot less visible doing th- that way they'd catch a lot more.
    You can tell im no fan of drivers who think the laws dont apply to them. Too right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭kirving

Sorry but that's terrible driving from the BMW. The cars are clearly held up by the truck, on a blind bend.

Hard shoulders are full of stones, debris, rubbish, broken down cars, other cars edging out. Driving in it encourages the car behind to attempt unsafe overtakes which otherwise wouldn't be possible.

If you don't have enough time to overtake without the car in front pulling into the shoulder, then you simply don't have enough time.

I never trust a car that pulls in for me, and still wait for the other side of the road to be clear and overtake properly.

Sorry but that's terrible driving from the BMW. The cars are clearly held up by the truck, on a blind bend.

Hard shoulders are full of stones, debris, rubbish, broken down cars, other cars edging out. Driving in it encourages the car behind to attempt unsafe overtakes which otherwise wouldn't be possible.

If you don't have enough time to overtake without the car in front pulling into the shoulder, then you simply don't have enough time.

I never trust a car that pulls in for me, and still wait for the other side of the road to be clear and overtake properly.

Well, clearly not driving in it encourages unsafe overtaking as well. Even more dangerous in fact.

Did you never ask yourself how such horrific crashes can happen in perfectly good roads and conditions? The scenario presented in this video is the answer.

You don't have to drive in it. All you literally need to do is drive one wheel over the yellow line for about 5 seconds. Not aim straight for the ditch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

And imho there should be a lot more of them and the gardai should be a lot less visible doing th- that way they'd catch a lot more.

If you want to slow drivers down the cops should park with flashing lights on and a sign saying "WE'RE DOING A SPEED TRAP". This would slow thousands of drivers down. If you park behind a bush all day and catch 1 guy your not solving the speeding issue, you're being sneaky. The idea isn't to catch people, its to slow them down.
    Why do people convince themselves that they are sooo important/have such busy lices etc that it entitles them to treat other road users in such aggressive ways.

Why do people think they are so important they can block everyone all day every day. A bit of courtesy is no harm. If you piss someone off you will get a reaction. Thats what most a lot of these videos are (see the usual blocking lanes/undertaking ones)

I'm not saying the speeder/lunatic is right, I'm just saying why they do it. A bit more courtesy on the roads would solve a lot of these issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Handsome Brute

If somebody comes up behind me on a wide national road I pull in to the left and let them past if its safe to do so, no harm done. No need to sit there thinking you don't need to let them pass. I appreciate it when I need to pass some other day.

Progression is part of the driving test and we need a system that lets the faster car past in a safe manner. I know how the BMW driver felt. Stuck behind three or four content cars not letting enough room for you to pass in front so you have to wait until its safe to pass four cars at once which is unsafe and rises the risk of a head on collision.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Over the speed limit is illegal.
    Sooner some drivers fet this the better.

Whatever happened to being willing to wait until its safe and legal to pass?
    When something goes wrong, drivers have to stop then. Why do people convince themselves that they are sooo important/have such busy lices etc that it entitles them to treat other road users in such aggressive ways.

You can tell im no fan of drivers who think the laws dont apply to them. Too right.

True, the law is the law - and I'm very much of the "every man for himself" opinion - if you play with fire you deserve to get burnt and that's everyone's chance to take.

That doesn't mean that the law is not an ass, or that the road safety emphasis has tended to lean far too uncomfortably towards wrapping everyone in cotton wool to the determent of progressive, sensible motoring.

salonfire wrote: »
    Well, clearly not driving in it encourages unsafe overtaking as well. Even more dangerous in fact.

Did you never ask yourself how such horrific crashes can happen in perfectly good roads and conditions? The scenario presented in this video is the answer.

You don't have to drive in it. All you literally need to do is drive one wheel over the yellow line for about 5 seconds. Not aim straight for the ditch.

If you're relying on the car in front to move into the hard shoulder to get past, then it's because there's oncoming traffic. You then have a situation with three cars across the road. If the guy in the hard shoulder has to exit it for any reason whatsoever, be it a tractor pulling out or a concrete block left there(which I have seen), then you have potential for a serious accident.

It's extremely poor driving, and if you can't safely cross the dotted line, overtake, and cross back far enough head of the slower car that you're out of their braking distance, then you don't have enough time to safely overtake.

The ONLY difference between the two scenarios is the time taken for the overtaking car to cross the dotted line, and cross back. If you're at the point where this time matters, then you're already cutting it too close.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not sitting out there at 99kph acting like it's my job to police the roads, I'll ease off in the right place if the guy behind is in a hurry. I'll make my fair share of overtakes too, but only when I know I can do it safely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

shietpilot wrote: »
    Absolute nut job. It doesn't really help that there are 3 cars and 1 truck leaving too small a gap for him to safely overtake one car at a time though.

It's interesting how different perception of such situations is between people.
    F.e. for me it looks perfectly normal with nothing dangerous there.

Why do you think overtake would be unsafe if someone moved to hard shoulder to let car behind to overtake?
    But when car moved to hard shoulder, you might be able to overtake without a need to move to oncoming lane, and therefore you can do it no matter if there is oncoming traffic or not.

Any reasons?

• Advertisement

If you're relying on the car in front to move into the hard shoulder to get past, then it's because there's oncoming traffic. You then have a situation with three cars across the road. If the guy in the hard shoulder has to exit it for any reason whatsoever, be it a tractor pulling out or a concrete block left there(which I have seen), then you have potential for a serious accident.
    With appropriate speed difference, ovartake should take less than a second.
    When you are overtaking, you should can see if car in hard should will need to move back because of the tractor.
    It's extremely poor driving, and if you can't safely cross the dotted line, overtake, and cross back far enough head of the slower car that you're out of their braking distance, then you don't have enough time to safely overtake.

The ONLY difference between the two scenarios is the time taken for the overtaking car to cross the dotted line, and cross back. If you're at the point where this time matters, then you're already cutting it too close.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not sitting out there at 99kph acting like it's my job to police the roads, I'll ease off in the right place if the guy behind is in a hurry. I'll make my fair share of overtakes too, but only when I know I can do it safely.

We just see safety differently.
    For me when vehicle moved into hard shoulder, and I see he won't need to come back because of obstruction, then I overtake, even if there are cars oncoming, provided there is enough space.

Patww79 wrote: »

What about trucks and tractors that pull in to hard shoulder to let you overtake?
    Don't tell me, you don't use their courtesy to overtake.

Pity you don't wish to do same for others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

gutteruu wrote: »
    Majority of videos on here show near accidents caused by slow unfriendly driving pissing people off into driving bad.

The person behind the wheel is the one that makes that decision, not someone in a completely different vehicle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

CiniO wrote: »
    It's interesting how different perception of such situations is between people.
    F.e. for me it looks perfectly normal with nothing dangerous there.

Are you serious?

The BMW clearly forces the silver car to move into the hard shoulder because of the reckless manoeuvre of overtaking when it was not safe to do so.

In fact, he also scares the oncoming vehicle into having to use their hard shoulder as well.

Perfectly normal my arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭josip

Mycroft H wrote: »
    No, I didn't mention it. I'll send them a mail/tweet

Hi Mycroft, just curious if Traffic ever got back to about your N11 undertaking video?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

I don't care for the person behind me, their schedule or whatever their reasons are for acting like a dick. I'm not diving into a hard shoulder for anyone. I'll maintain my line and when safe to do so I'll take a left of centre line and they can overtake at their own peril. I've seen enough Lorry tyre carcasses, full sheets of plywood and refuse sacks on the hard shoulders to know that they are not always safe.

Anyone remember that guy in a vectra overtaking traffic forcing the cars coming the other way to take evasive action? Was about 18 months back and went viral? Well that stretch of road is about 2 minutes from me and is a regular occurrence there despite heading into a 50kph zone it has hard shoulders wide enough aswell but there is houses all the way along so I never move over and despite doing 90 in what is an 80 zone everyone wants to overtake you. So basically feck them your own safety comes before their schedule but along them enough room to get past at the right bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

josip wrote: »
    Hi Mycroft, just curious if Traffic ever got back to about your N11 undertaking video?
    Take a guess!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭blade1

This is about as exciting as it gets since I bought a cam.:rolleyes:
    He did put up his hand to apoligize after the roundabout.
    Excuse my french:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

blade1 wrote: »
    YouTube link fixed
    Fixed that for you.

You only need to put the bit after the "youtu.be/" or v= into the Youtube tags like below

[noparse][/noparse]

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Wow how reckless! He clearly had no intention of stopping at the roundabout whatsoever :eek::eek: you were a gonner had you not stopped!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Is your lens dirty/smudged? The quality looks very poor!

h3000 wrote: »
    Fixed that for you.

You only need to put the bit after the "youtu.be/" or v= into the Youtube tags like below

[noparse][/noparse]
    Is your lens dirty/smudged? The quality looks very poor!
    Thanks lads was wondering what went wrong there.
    I don't know why but i seem to lose quality when i upload!:confused:
    kingtut wrote: »
    Wow how reckless! He clearly had no intention of stopping at the roundabout whatsoever :eek::eek: you were a gonner had you not stopped!
    I had plenty of time to stop,I just went a bit closer and blew the horn to wake him up a bit.
    Even though i swore, I'm fairly cool when things like that happen.
    I didn't fly off the handle like i see some do.

Thing is, on the road he was on, if you look over you can see the road i was on so if he took in everything around him he should have seen me well before i entered the roundabout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Thanks lads was wondering what went wrong there.
    I don't know why but i seem to lose quality when i upload!:confused:
    Youtube always reduces the quality of the video unfortunately. Can you adjust the exposure settings in your dash cam? It's a little overexposed and reducing the exposure should help the quality a lot.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

h3000 wrote: »
    Youtube always reduces the quality of the video unfortunately. Can you adjust the exposure settings in your dash cam? It's a little overexposed and reducing the exposure should help the quality a lot.

I'll try that, thanks for the tip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

One of Derry Morgan,s probably running late for a boat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Thing is, on the road he was on, if you look over you can see the road i was on so if he took in everything around him he should have seen me well before i entered the roundabout.

People coming off that bypass are usually banging up to 120 and fail to realise how quickly the roundabout comes up. You're completely correct in that he should have seen you from the height in the cab though.

mordeith wrote: »
    People coming off that bypass are usually banging up to 120 and fail to realise how quickly the roundabout comes up. You're completely correct in that he should have seen you from the height in the cab though.

Speed limit is 100, and is it 80 for lorries?
    He was doing about that on the roundabout!:pac:

Speed limit is 100, and is it 80 for lorries?
    He was doing about that on the roundabout!:pac:

80?
    It doesn't look like more than 40 to me.

• Advertisement

CiniO wrote: »
    80?
    It doesn't look like more than 40 to me.

The speed limit for lorries looks like 40 to you????:P

I think he acknowledged what he did when he pulled in to let you pass.

josip wrote: »
    I think he acknowledged what he did when he pulled in to let you pass.

Spot on, you can see his hand been raised as i pass and me not one to hold a grudge,gave him a wave back!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Dan the man 88

Why would you post some things as minor as that .minor mistake like that of hgv driver could /will cause him lot of trouble in work .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭Stig Inge

I wouldn't call that minor. He ploughed through the roundabout at speed. Could have ended very badly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Minor mistake? Are you serious? He could have killed the poster!

• Advertisement

On that note, I see a serious amount of not just poor or even bad driving, but aggressive and dangerous driving from people with their company name plastered all over the van. Absolute stupidity and on occasion I have called the company to report it, in a very calm way might I add.

Better to get a telling off from your boss than three points and a marked licence that will have a monetary impact on the company and could have real potential for the person to lose their job.

Why would you post some things as minor as that .minor mistake like that of hgv driver could /will cause him lot of trouble in work .

Can you not see how stupid your post is?
    If it's minor, what's the problem?

Did i post something that wasn't true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

Included Captions, hardly think they are needed.. Idiot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

That lad looked lost!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

Mycroft H wrote:
    That lad looked lost!

Maybe, but no need to drive like that. He could have safely turned around at the next roundabout.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

If I saw a lad indicating like that in stationary traffic at a roundabout I'd let him in willingly,unless I'd seen him queue jumping down the inside lane in heavy traffic. He still shouldn't be stopping like that on the roundabout though.

If I saw a lad indicating like that in stationary traffic at a roundabout I'd let him in willingly

Same here. Not sure why you didn't give him space, to be honest, Simdan.

simdan wrote: »
    Included Captions, hardly think they are needed.. Idiot

Looked to me the driver wasn't sure of where they were going.
    simdan wrote: »
    Maybe, but no need to drive like that. He could have safely turned around at the next roundabout.

They were indicating right to move over before simdan decided to pull out from 2 cars behind them and into the gap between him/her and the truck. Why did simdan bother doing that, just to get a video on this thread by trying to put themselves into a position where they knew they'd be cut up, or just poor observation on simdans part?
    A bit of patience on your part would have saved the time you wasted editing and uploading the video.

Leave Simdan alone, he posted the video with the dogs.
    Or was that also 'staged'... :eek:

What a poor attitude, people lying down for them? Seriously, that's how you look at things? Maybe people would have a lot less stress if you didn't look at it like this but rather drove with a bit of politeness and understanding.

It's ridiculous the attitude some people take onto the road with them, "oi, that's my bit of road, don't even dare think I'll let you away with a mistake around me buddy!".

ThisRegard wrote: »
    They were indicating right to move over before simdan decided to pull out from 2 cars behind them and into the gap between him/her and the truck. Why did simdan bother doing that.....

I have to admit, when I first got a dashcam and was very aware it was there, I was often tempted to do the same to catch a bit of footage of a poor driving. In this case, it looks like Simdan accelerated quickly because he was legally in the right to do so, rather than just letting the mistake slide.

FFS, are you for real? How did simdan deciding to move around a car to get alongside another that realised it was in the wrong lane and looking to make the correction, possibly out of spite, help go towards make the roads safer?

Do you know what would have made the roads safer in this instance? Doing absolutely nothing, leave the lane free to allow the car go on it's way unhindered. WTF do you think a good blow of the horn was going to do, other than make the driver think, what a dick.

You do know under what conditions a driver is permitted to use their horn don't you, never mind a 'good blow' of one?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement