Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cam thread (car videos only)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

ThisRegard wrote: »
    You do know under what conditions a driver is permitted to use their horn don't you, never mind a 'good blow' of one?

Taken from RSA:
    Only use a horn to:

warn other road users of on-coming danger, or

make them aware of your presence for safety reasons when reasonably necessary.

Clearly the cnut had no idea of simdan's presence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The road is full of wanna be traffic gardai, this much I gather from some of the videos and responses here, who just want to go out of their way to punish everyone else who don't drive perfectly like themselves, or heaven forbid, be unsure of where they were going.

There would have been no problems with the above situation whatsoever until the poster created one.

The road is full of wanna be traffic gardai, this much I gather from some of the videos and responses here, who just want to go out of their way to punish everyone else who don't drive perfectly like themselves, or heaven forbid, be unsure of where they were going.

There would have been no problems with the above situation whatsoever until the poster created one.

For me this thread isn't about "haha look at this mongrel he can't drive, fcukin lunatic". I like these videos because they make me a better driver. I can see more bad driver behaviour (sometimes extreme) here than I would myself out on the road and it allows me to see how others drive and hopefully next time someone does something like that I can be ready for it.

If people were really here to give out they would be posting people's registrations and sending footage to the Gardai but I'm sure 99% of posters don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

nothing dramatic just some random stuff from last few days

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Bobjims

No dodgy driving going on while on the way to work this morning, just thought it was interesting seeing a Defence Forces MOWAG Pirahna being transported towards Tullamore.

Always see the truck and jeep convoys near Athlone but never this transport.

Here's some dodgy driving on the way home though... (Excuse the poor sound quality, had the window open at the time)

Saw him approaching at a very high speed. Possibly >120km/hr in this 80km/hr zone. Driving like an absolute lunatic. There was no way of seeing if there was any traffic approaching, he's just lucky there wasn't a car coming the opposite direction through that bend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

To be honest I moved into the middle lane as it was free and it's a three lane roundabout with clear markings, I didn't notice him indicating until I was next to him. Even at that stage I thought he was indicating purely by accident as I see so many people indicating incorrectly on roundabouts, I was more focussed on the on-coming traffic to my right.

Also, I always forget about the dashcam until after the incident, it's hidden behind my rear view mirror so theories of this being staged or pre-meditated recordings are way off. The Leaf has great acceleration, so might seem fast pulling onto the roundabout, this is normal. Obviously I'm aware of cars around me but was not expecting the guy to move into the middle lane in front of me. I've been lost before down the country and I make sure I'm extra careful of my surroundings. The guy was dangerous.

Thanks to the lads who understood the situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Bobjims wrote: »
    No dodgy driving going on while on the way to work this morning, just thought it was interesting seeing a Defence Forces tank being transported towards Tullamore.

Always see the truck and jeep convoys near Athlone but never a tank transport. What kind of tank is it?

Not a tank, MOWAG Piranha

simdan wrote: »
    To be honest I moved into the middle lane as it was free and it's a three lane roundabout with clear markings, I didn't notice him indicating until I was next to him. Even at that stage I thought he was indicating purely by accident as I see so many people indicating incorrectly on roundabouts, I was more focussed on the on-coming traffic to my right.

Also, I always forget about the dashcam until after the incident, it's hidden behind my rear view mirror so theories of this being staged or pre-meditated recordings are way off. The Leaf has great acceleration, so might seem fast pulling onto the roundabout, this is normal. Obviously I'm aware of cars around me but was not expecting the guy to move into the middle lane in front of me. I've been lost before down the country and I make sure I'm extra careful of my surroundings. The guy was dangerous.

Thanks to the lads who understood the situation

Not trying to give you a hard time, but doing it for the sake of footage would be a better reason than saying you somehow didnt manage to see the big black jeep parked at the front of the queue with it's indicator flashing in your face :P

But sure we all make mistakes. :)

• Advertisement

Not trying to give you a hard time, but doing it for the sake of footage would be a better reason than saying you somehow didnt manage to see the big black jeep parked at the front of the queue with it's indicator flashing in your face :P

But sure we all make mistakes. :)

lol, I said I noticed him indicating but was not expecting him to actually move to the right.

Patww79 wrote: »

Well said Pat! Thanks for the uploads lads, I'm sure they'll be more soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

I've no problem having a debate about any video I post. I may do something wrong, but hey, I'm a human being. Making mistakes is just something that we all do. Other drivers make mistakes too, it's how we deal with that when it happens that matters. If I found myself in the same position as Simdan, I would probably have handled it differently, but that's because we aren't all robots doing the same thing.

I would post more vids, but it took one and a half hours to upload the last one ( rural broadband :)) and I haven't got the patience I used to have. :D

No matter what you do, the video poster in these threads will always be the villain. People love picking and they can't pick at the other party. Best not even acknowledging it most of the time.

Head in the sand it is so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭josip

I appreciate comments from other boardsies who also go to the trouble to stick up videos.
    Regardless of bandwidth, CPUs, RAM, etc, it's an effort to put up vids.
    By the time you disconnect the cam/card from the car, locate the file, process and annotate the footage and upload to Youtube, reconnect the cam/card, there's not much left out of half an hour.
    At least half of the stuff that I think might be interesting, I don't bother posting because for whatever reason, it doesn't seem interesting when viewed in the cold light of day.
    I would be one of the less frequent, less annotating posters on this thread.
    Some of the posters put in a big effort; sometimes that's acknowledged by the 'Thanks', but very often they're subjected to nitpicking while the elephant in the video is ignored.
    ...did any of ye ever start a post with a very clear idea of what you wanted to say but by the end hadn't a clue how to finish it?
    More vids!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

josip wrote: »
    I appreciate comments from other boardsies who also go to the trouble to stick up videos.
    Regardless of bandwidth, CPUs, RAM, etc, it's an effort to put up vids.
    By the time you disconnect the cam/card from the car, locate the file, process and annotate the footage and upload to Youtube, reconnect the cam/card, there's not much left out of half an hour.
    At least half of the stuff that I think might be interesting, I don't bother posting because for whatever reason, it doesn't seem interesting when viewed in the cold light of day.
    I would be one of the less frequent, less annotating posters on this thread.
    Some of the posters put in a big effort; sometimes that's acknowledged by the 'Thanks', but very often they're subjected to nitpicking while the elephant in the video is ignored.
    ...did any of ye ever start a post with a very clear idea of what you wanted to say but by the end hadn't a clue how to finish it?
    More vids!
    I find a lot of the stuff I know was a close shave, looks less frightening on dash cam footage. Things just don't look as close, something to do with the wide angle thingy, I suppose.

A car pulled out in front of me a while ago. It was close and I felt the ABS operating. On playback it looked a bit tame. Same with the vids I posted recently. A lot closer through the windscreen that through the dashcam. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

h3000 wrote: »

Apologies, Absolute craziness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Apologies, Absolute craziness!

Crazy is right. I do wonder do those guys ever get caught.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Advertisement

Mycroft, did the guards ever get back to you about this?
    They won't do anything about what happened just from watching the vid.
    Which is fairly depressing considering the driving involved

In fairness, there is a lot of that in this thread (or at least there was back in ye olden days before chat was banned).

No matter what the poster of the video did, they were the bad guy. It was infuriating.

However, I do feel it's fair to point it out when it's the case that the video wouldn't have existed if it wasn't for the poster's own actions.

It'd be like posting a video of a car trying to merge onto the motorway, and ending up driving in the hard shoulder for ages. Calling him a fool for not merging correctly. If it was obvious from the video that the poster had intentionally sped up/slowed down and matched speed with the merging car to lock him in the hard shoulder, I think it would be fair to call the poster out on it.

I'm sure Simdan (and everyone else) is tired of discussing that particular video by now, but i just wanted to post this as I do feel it's fair in certain circumstances to acknowledge that the poster was in the wrong. Especially when the poster's video is so aggressive to the 'wrongdoer' in the video (calling names, etc.).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

josip wrote: »
    Mycroft, did the guards ever get back to you about this?
    They won't do anything about what happened just from watching the vid.
    Which is fairly depressing considering the driving involved

No, nothing at all. Sent a tweet with the link and an email to traffic watch. Even with the reg plates. Couldn't have made it easier for them

Mycroft H wrote: »
    No, nothing at all. Sent a tweet with the link and an email to traffic watch. Even with the reg plates. Couldn't have made it easier for them

Yeah good luck getting a response from Twitter. They only respond to smart comments with smart responses or fine people for undertaking a Garda car which was in the wrong lane...

The gardai could well be investigating it, they're not in the business of telling people who gave them info what they're doing. I was a witness to a hit and run and drunk driving case, followed the car home and gave the gardai details. Didn't hear anything for a long time until I got a call to let me know the guy pleaded guilty. Same goes for traffic watch, you may hear nothing for months if you report something.

The gardai could well be investigating it, they're not in the business of telling people who gave them info what they're doing. I was a witness to a hit and run and drunk driving case, followed the car home and gave the gardai details. Didn't hear anything for a long time until I got a call to let me know the guy pleaded guilty. Same goes for traffic watch, you may hear nothing for months if you report something.

From Traffic DV.
    My reading of this is that without a formal complaint form MyCroft nothing will happen.
    On receipt of a formal complaint from a member of the public, which can be made at any Garda station, the footage available can be used as part of the investigation file and at any subsequent court prosecution. Obviously the exact date, time and location would be required for the prosecution and this would have to be verified by the nvestigating Garda. A statement from the dashcam driver is not essential but would help clarified these facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭rameire

email it on to rte, tv3, the journal.
    and cc the gardai in the email.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

If they're anything like Traffic Watch it may still take a while if they do decide to act. Although doesn't their twitter account say that it's not an account in which you should report anything to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Same goes for traffic watch, you may hear nothing for months if you report something.

On the two occasions I used traffic watch the guards were in touch the following day (and kept in regular contact as things progressed).

kingtut wrote: »
    On the two occasions I used traffic watch the guards were in touch the following day (and kept in regular contact as things progressed).

Not my experience, it was about 2 months when they got back to me over some nutcase, I had assumed they were going to do nothing. Maybe the form fell behind a desk or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Not my experience, it was about 2 months when they got back to me over some nutcase, I had assumed they were going to do nothing. Maybe the form fell behind a desk or something.

I wouldn't be surprised! Guess I just got lucky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Did Someone say MOWAG?

Following on from my first Road Wars video;

I present Road Wars 2: The Convoy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

T I've been lost before down the country and I make sure I'm extra careful of my surroundings. The guy was dangerous.
    This is important. If I'm lost, I hold back and let others go first while I assess my position. I don't cut in on others.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Mycroft H wrote: »

I didn't know there was an email address for Traffic Watch, what is it?

They won't do anything serious unless they have a signed statement - due process and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Some from our UK friends...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

That audi around the 8:40 mark was frightening!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

sheep? wrote: »
    That audi around the 8:40 mark was frightening!

Was it not a C Class Mercedes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

looks like a C180 alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭b318isp

Just a change for a Friday:

Unusual pedestrian on M50:

Felt sorry for this guy - on UK plates:

• Advertisement

mrsoundie wrote: »
    Was it not a C Class Mercedes?

It was! Dunno what I was thinking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I think you should resit your Motors Forum exam before posting again.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭obriendj

In fairness it does say Audi down the bottom left during that snippet because, I presume, it was recorded on an Audi's Dashcam.

Lovely door on this Micra, I bet she got nice and wet inside :P Probably caused by the driver's lack of merging skills.

obriendj wrote: »
    In fairness it does say Audi down the bottom left during that snippet because, I presume, it was recorded on an Audi's Dashcam.

I'll take that as a good excuse! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

A taxi driver customer of mine....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Specially trained lane hog seeking birds.

Or maybe they were attracted by the sound of wheels bouncing over cats-eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Specially trained lane hog seeking birds.

Or maybe they were attracted by the sound of wheels bouncing over cats-eyes.

i have abused him for it already :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

The BEEP was late ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭kirving

Does anyone know if posting a video online could jeaprodise a conviction for dangerous driving?

Wittnessed some insane overtaking yesterday in Galway and already dropped into the Garda station to report it. Going to make a statement and give the footage next week as I genuinely feel like I have to.

Would I really have to go to court if it went that far, and would I be cross examined?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Would I really have to go to court if it went that far, and would I be cross examined?

If the situation was reversed, and some randomer went to the guards claiming you did something on the road, wouldn't you like the opportunity to cross examine them?

And yes, you will have to go to court - you are making the allegation, not the guards.

But if the cops say the video evidence is unambiguous and you dont have any dark skeletons in your cupboard, then you have nothing to worry about. Other guy will likely be advised to plead guilty to it, so you might not need to say anything.

Post the video without a prejudicial title like "madman driving dangerously..." or other such comments and you will be grand.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement