Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cam thread (car videos only)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 smoke_mirrors

Whats the big "beep" I always hear in some dash cam videos. Pre collision warning system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Whats the big "beep" I always hear in some dash cam videos. Pre collision warning system?

Swear filter. Some posters here should have to rinse out their mouths with soap :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

A few from the last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Some cams have a feature to save video before and after the beep by pressing a button on the camera (causing the beep), otherwise it will get over-written as the memory card gets filled.

Ken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

A few from the last week

Jaysus footage from Rathcoole! I better drive carefully now :P Last clip is just typical with the Nurburgring sticker. I hate that place altogether, nobody has a clue what lane to be in and the road markings are basically gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaOwxaRkCgQ&feature=em-upload_owner

I don't know how to upload on this site I find it hard.

2 cars block me in

should work now the link

2 cars block me in. thanks for your patience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Mr Snow wrote: »

You have the video set to private

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Your video is set to private! when you fix that put QaOwxaRkCgQ in between the youtube brackets.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Your video is private, on the video page

388631.PNG

388632.PNG

when you're posting the link here, copy just the code which comes after watch?v= in the URL, for example your code from that video is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaOwxaRkCgQ

you take this code and write [youtube] [/youtube] around the code

like this
    [youtube]QaOwxaRkCgQ[/youtube]

• Advertisement

only the QaOwxaRkCgQ and no bold on the Y parts, I did that so it would show up as text

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

You can paste the whole youtube link into the youtube tags now it picks it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Video fixed :

To be totally honest I have no idea what I'm looking at in this video. Are you parked?

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Nothing major but bizarrely neither car stopped to check for damage.:confused:

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Video fixed :

To be totally honest I have no idea what I'm looking at in this video. Are you parked?

yes I was parked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

Dingatron wrote:
    Nothing major but bizarrely neither car stopped to check for damage.

I don't think they actually hit. Extremely close though. The guy in the left lane swerved just in time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Go dash cam go!! My dad dropped some money (he keeps it in a bag) last night... My car in the drive and his out so I happened to capture the perp picking it up from beside the drivers door... They pleaded ignorance until he said it was on camera... BOOM.. He also lead them to believe he has 2 hidden CCTV cameras and a hoo-haa going on now because we've no signs up and haven't informed the neighbours of his "sinister" CCTV cameras. I was waiting for him to mention it was actually just my dash cam - NO...he came in laughing his head off! :rolleyes:

tk123 wrote: »
    Go dash cam go!! My dad dropped some money (he keeps it in a bag) last night... My car in the drive and his out so I happened to capture the perp picking it up from beside the drivers door... They pleaded ignorance until he said it was on camera... BOOM.. He also lead them to believe he has 2 hidden CCTV cameras and a hoo-haa going on now because we've no signs up and haven't informed the neighbours of his "sinister" CCTV cameras. I was waiting for him to mention it was actually just my dash cam - NO...he came in laughing his head off! :rolleyes:

Nice one! Is there a video?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭vectra

oops.
    Another isiot not botherig to look if anything is coming.
    He assumed the coast was clear becouse the other car moved away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

simdan wrote: »

I think offical (like the NRA) motorway vehicles are exempt from toll charges, much like the local C.C

I've had a row with the operator on the M7 at Port when driving an exempt vehicle. She wouldn't lift the barrier. I got frustrated and rolled up the window and turned the engine off. After a few atric lorries started building up behind me she gave in and let me through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Mycroft H wrote: »
    I think offical (like the NRA) motorway vehicles are exempt from toll charges, much like the local C.C

I've had a row with the operator on the M7 at Port when driving an exempt vehicle. She wouldn't lift the barrier. I got frustrated and rolled up the window and turned the engine off. After a few atric lorries started building up behind me she gave in and let me through.

Would it not be just easier (but I admit, more expensive) to issue electronic tags to all the NRA vehicles? and even to all exempt vehicles?

Would it not be just easier (but I admit, more expensive) to issue electronic tags to all the NRA vehicles? and even to all exempt vehicles?

A marked up ambulance should be pretty clear that it's exempt, more administration from our side to make their job easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭Vic_08

It's done by reg plate at some tolls; port tunnel, east link and obviously M50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Nice one! Is there a video?

Ah better not! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

The Gardai seem to severely ration use of the siren to junctions.
    I heard it a little earlier and then eventually saw the Garda car approach, as did the coach driver ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭oleras

not-sure-if_c_170361.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

A**hole cuts me up on the Southbound J13 exit on the M50 only indicating at the last minute.

Normally when these feckers fly up the middle lane and cut in at the last minute,
    I'd only need to hit the brakes. I needed to properly take evasive action and swerve to the last for this idiot.

NSFW volume/swearing warning: I leant on the car horn and say "F**k" in the audio, so audio isn't safe for workplace.

He didn't even need to cut in that aggressively as he was taking the right hand lane in the sliproad, probably towards Sandyford.
    Seriously tempted to report....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭ofcork

Looked like he was going to pull in behind you at one stage there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

ofcork wrote: »
    Looked like he was going to pull in behind you at one stage there.

What annoys me about these situations is that there was probably nothing behind you for 50 yards but he just had to have THAT spot in front of you !

Ken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭josip

...Seriously tempted to report....

It wouldn't be unreasonable to report that guy for what seemed like a deliberately aggressive maneuver.
    The gardai may ask you for undeited dashcam footage from the start to the end of your journey.

Garda my dashcam only keeps the segment if I mark it. I only marked one segment on this journey and here is that segment.

Or else, garda what is your email I will send the 5 64GB SD cards worth of footage to you as soon as my dial up connects. Do you want it in 4K or 3D?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Annoying, that roundabout is bad enough without this sort of nonsense and from someone that drives as part of their job,you have to expect better. Very late with the indicators too. Woeful driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

just some random stuff and nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

h3000 wrote: »

Sure it's there culture nothing anyone can do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

Why would you do this?

Why would you do this?

Grade 3 fault there. He'd fail his EC there easily.

• Advertisement

Don't think I posted this before.

Skip toward the end,

Skip toward the end,

Goes through a red light, but the kid hopped onto the road before it was green for him.. both eejits

Goes through a red light, but the kid hopped onto the road before it was green for him.. both eejits
    True, but only one of them was at real risk of death!
    Unless another (very large) vehicle jumped the cross lights.

I've posted quite a lot of clips now (40 Approx), nearly all of them are of extremely near misses with no actual vehicle collisions.
    Thankfully I drive quite defensively so the vast majority of those near misses I capture are of other drivers in front of me!

I now think a Dashcam is absolutely invaluable, I couldn't imagine owning a car without one and if you're still on the fence I would say just do it and get a decent camera.

I do have two proper accident clips which I don't think I will post,
    One is a lady commuter cyclist flying over the handlebars for some unknown reason, and the second is a pedestrian staring at his phone and walking out in front of a taxi and getting wiped out (not sure if he survived).

The latter was provided to the Garda investigating the incident - (I didn't ask the outcome), so it shows that they are valuable for keeping a guardians eye on other road users as well.

---

To others with Dashcams, do you see a lot of near misses as well?
    Or do I just attract lemmings.

---

Seen a few & posted a couple here, but as the dash cam is a fairly recent addition to my driving experience (nearly 40 years behind the wheel) most are distant memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

I've posted quite a lot of clips now (40 Approx), nearly all of them are of extremely near misses with no actual vehicle collisions.
    Thankfully I drive quite defensively so the vast majority of those near misses I capture are of other drivers in front of me!

I now think a Dashcam is absolutely invaluable, I couldn't imagine owning a car without one and if you're still on the fence I would say just do it and get a decent camera.

I do have two proper accident clips which I don't think I will post,
    One is a lady commuter cyclist flying over the handlebars for some unknown reason, and the second is a pedestrian staring at his phone and walking out in front of a taxi and getting wiped out (not sure if he survived).

The latter was provided to the Garda investigating the incident - (I didn't ask the outcome), so it shows that they are valuable for keeping a guardians eye on other road users as well.

---

Myself and a colleague of mine were just discussing these the other day. He was unfortunately rear ended, and the driver (possibly uninsured) left the scene. As a result, he would love a camera front and rear.. I've been looking into getting one myself, and possibly a rear one.

I don't tend to see anything too drastic, but mostly just things that irk me. These are mainly on my short commute to work on the M50. The usual occurrences are people crossing hatch markings and queue jumping at the J10 slip. The queue jumpers seem to include the same culprits most mornings. Also, I've seen people the last couple of days using the hard shoulder to cut in further up.

Just something I observed this morning. I was stopped in a line of traffic. A truck and a pickup in front of me gave up queuing and crossed the hatch markings to change lanes. Right behind a Garda car. The two lads never saw this, and didn't see a couple of drivers force their way into the queue further up either. Well, maybe they did, but turned a blind eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

---

I've seen a few and experienced a few myself since I got the camera. They seem more interesting IRL than watching back the video. Hence why I don't upload them. I prefer to just leave the camera do its thing and when I really need it, it's there.

Trebor176 wrote: »
    Right behind a Garda car. The two lads never saw this, and didn't see a couple of drivers force their way into the queue further up either. Well, maybe they did, but turned a blind eye.
    If they did their job, they'd spend the whole day writing tickets on that road!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭josip

<snip>

I haven't recorded any coming together of any description since I got mine.
    Maybe we should start calling you Cliff?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement