Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emptying anal glands - should I do it myself?

• 24-02-2015 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Hi everyone,

As some of you may know I have 2 miniature dachshunds. They turned 1 on Valentine's Day and like most pet owners, I spend lots of time reading up about their breed, and my other 2 dogs, 2 german shepherds.

I had the 2 miniature dachshunds groomed professionally for the first time about 2 months ago. When I had them groomed the groomer asked me if they ever dragged their bums or had difficulty doing a no. 2, I said no because they've never dragged their bums or had problems going to the toilet. She said to keep an eye on it as their anal sacs were full.
    Since then I have been keeping an eye on them and there has been no bum dragging or problems doing a no. 2.
    However, what I have noticed is both of them licking their bums an awful lot and that their breath is quite stinky, kind of a fishy smell, and that their smell, their normal doggy smell, has changed a bit, it's not awful but it's a bit off. I can't say that I've noticed any particular swelling in their bum area.
    I've been doing a bit of reading online and I've read that these could indicate that their anal sacs need to be emptied.

I've never done this before, I know it's probably messy but I would like to learn to do it myself.
    As I said I've been reading up and it seems that toy breeds, dachshunds in particular, can suffer from this problem so I think it's definitely something I need to learn to do at home.
    My husband and I drive motorbikes, do not own a car and do not have public transport available to us so obviously traipsing into the vet/groomer just to have their anal sacs emptied isn't something I want to do regularly. It's only 2 months since they had it done previously and they clearly need it done again already so would it be safe to say it's probably something that may need to be done every 4-6 weeks?

So I'm looking for some tips here.
    Basically how to do it and how often?
    I've read about this method online from a few different sources -
    "Place your thumb at 4 o clock and your forefinger inside the anus, 1-2cm in. Try to feel for the swelling, and squeeze it. Once empty, repeat for the other side. It may be easier to change hands to achieve this. If the sacs are very impacted, firm pressure will be necessary to empty them and the discharge will appear like a thick paste rather than a liquid."
    Does anyone have anything to add to this method?
    Is the dog likely to wiggle around and would it therefore be better to have 2 people involved, one holding the dog and one doing the emptying? Also, I assume it would be best to do something like this in the shower, where everything can be easily cleaned up?

I'm wondering about how often should I do it? Should I wait until I notice constant bum licking and smelly breath or should I do it every X weeks regardless of whether I notice any symptoms?

I have also read online about having an operation carried out to have the glands removed completely. I would only consider having this done if the problem was causing the dogs discomfort/pain. I have read online that if you have to empty the sacs more than 4 times a year that the operation should be considered. Is it likely that the anal sacs filling up is causing the dogs any discomfort/pain? Is it likely that the constant emptying of the anal sacs will cause them discomfort/pain?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

Hi everyone,

As some of you may know I have 2 miniature dachshunds. They turned 1 on Valentine's Day and like most pet owners, I spend lots of time reading up about their breed, and my other 2 dogs, 2 german shepherds.

I had the 2 miniature dachshunds groomed professionally for the first time about 2 months ago. When I had them groomed the groomer asked me if they ever dragged their bums or had difficulty doing a no. 2, I said no because they've never dragged their bums or had problems going to the toilet. She said to keep an eye on it as their anal sacs were full.
    Since then I have been keeping an eye on them and there has been no bum dragging or problems doing a no. 2.
    However, what I have noticed is both of them licking their bums an awful lot and that their breath is quite stinky, kind of a fishy smell, and that their smell, their normal doggy smell, has changed a bit, it's not awful but it's a bit off. I can't say that I've noticed any particular swelling in their bum area.
    I've been doing a bit of reading online and I've read that these could indicate that their anal sacs need to be emptied.

I've never done this before, I know it's probably messy but I would like to learn to do it myself.
    As I said I've been reading up and it seems that toy breeds, dachshunds in particular, can suffer from this problem so I think it's definitely something I need to learn to do at home.
    My husband and I drive motorbikes, do not own a car and do not have public transport available to us so obviously traipsing into the vet/groomer just to have their anal sacs emptied isn't something I want to do regularly. It's only 2 months since they had it done previously and they clearly need it done again already so would it be safe to say it's probably something that may need to be done every 4-6 weeks?

So I'm looking for some tips here.
    I've read about this method online from a few different sources -
    "Place your thumb at 4 o clock and your forefinger inside the anus, 1-2cm in. Try to feel for the swelling, and squeeze it. Once empty, repeat for the other side. It may be easier to change hands to achieve this. If the sacs are very impacted, firm pressure will be necessary to empty them and the discharge will appear like a thick paste rather than a liquid."
    Does anyone have anything to add to this method?
    Is the dog likely to wiggle around and would it therefore be better to have 2 people involved, one holding the dog and one doing the emptying? Also, I assume it would be best to do something like this in the shower, where everything can be easily cleaned up?

I'm wondering about how often should I do it? Should I wait until I notice constant bum licking and smelly breath or should I do it every X weeks regardless of whether I notice any symptoms?

I have also read online about having an operation carried out to have the glands removed completely. I would only consider having this done if the problem was causing the dogs discomfort/pain. I have read online that if you have to empty the sacs more than 4 times a year that the operation should be considered. Is it likely that the anal sacs filling up is causing the dogs any discomfort/pain? Is it likely that the constant emptying of the anal sacs will cause them discomfort/pain?

Thanks

I was advised to feed my dog raw chicken wings to aid this problem as apparently it kind of naturally empties them and have to say it helps enormously! I give him a raw chicken wing approx twice a week and no problems since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

If the sacs are full their poos aren't big/firm enough to empty them naturally like they should be doing- what do you feed them? Raw chicken wings or feet are great for firming up the poos. If you don't want to feed raw stuff you can bulk out the poos with something like grated carrot or add all-bran or psyllium husks to their food

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

I was advised to feed my dog raw chicken wings to aid this problem as apparently it kind of naturally empties them and have to say it helps enormously! I give him a raw chicken wing approx twice a week and no problems since

Okay, I'll give that a go, I'll get my husband to buy some tomorrow and see how we get on.

tk123 wrote: »
    If the sacs are full their poos aren't big/firm enough to empty them naturally like they should be doing- what do you feed them? Raw chicken wings or feet are great for firming up the poos. If you don't want to feed raw stuff you can bulk out the poos with something like grated carrot or add all-bran or psyllium husks to their food

Their poos look normal to me, no different to my other dogs. They are firm, not runny, normal sized. They both poo around 4 times a day. Would that be normal?
    I've no problem feeding raw, I fed my great dane raw. I'll give the chicken wings a go from tomorrow. Would I notice them taking effect straight away or would it take a few days to build up and empty the sacs fully? I'm assuming by what you say that when I start feeding the chicken wings I'll notice their poos change, maybe get bigger?

Just to give a full background on their eating habits:
    They were initially on dry food for about 4 months. I tried a few different dry foods, James Wellbeloved, Barking Heads and Clinivet but I just couldn't settle them on a dry food. I got a trainer in for a problem I was mainly having with the german shepherds (not food related) and we got talking about food and she suggested trying them on a wet food.
    I have tried Rocco, Lily's Kitchen, James Wellbeloved, Naturediet, Nature's Menu and Naturo. They have been on Naturo consistently for about 3 months now. They mainly get the Chicken & Lamb or the Duck.
    This is the composition of the Chicken & Lamb pack:
    Chicken 30%, Lamb 30%, Brown Rice 20%, Carrots 5%, Peas 5%, Potatoes 5%, Minerals, Sunflower Oil, Salmon Oil, Dried Tomato, Dried Kelp, Dried Basil.
    And the Duck pack:
    Duck 60%, Brown Rice 20%, Carrots 5%, Peas 5%, Potatoes 5%, Minerals, Sunflower Oil, Salmon Oil, Dried Tomato, Dried Kelp, Dried Basil.

I'd say you'd notice after a few poos? TMI but when Lucy poops you can see that they've emptied lol! The poos might just be too small - I had that problem with Bailey and bulked his raw meals out with veg to sort the problem. Report back on how long it takes them to eat a wing - I'm laughing thinking of the size of them feasting on a wing :p

• Advertisement

I'd say you'd notice after a few poos? TMI but when Lucy poops you can see that they've emptied lol! The poos might just be too small - I had that problem with Bailey and bulked his raw meals out with veg to sort the problem. Report back on how long it takes them to eat a wing - I'm laughing thinking of the size of them feasting on a wing :p

Hahaha, I think that's probably why I haven't fed them anything raw. A stupid reason I know and I'm raging with myself now.

I fed my great dane raw and I feed the 2 GSDs raw a few times a month and they don't have this problem, it just never clicked with me.

Thanks for the advice, hopefully they'll be improved by the end of the week.

I've never done it anyway, but our guy said only the other day not to do it and pointed to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA9SeHAEyQ4

Don't know if that's nonsense or not now but i'd trust him :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

I have 2 Shih Tzu's who have their sacs emptied a couple of times a year. They are both due about now actually. My vet does this as part of their normal check up and vaccinations in September and again in early Spring. Their poo's are normal most of the time and occasionally quite firm but that doesn't seem to make any difference.

Definitely a 2 person job. They do wriggle, (who wouldn't with a finger up your backside!), and I hold them firmly while she does the squeezing. It is usually pretty impacted although once when it was normal the stuff shot across the surgery and splattered the window and the vets chin.

It stinks as well, so it is a rear end bath for them both when we get home.

I am interested in the chicken wing suggestions... I will pick some up tomorrow and give it a go.

TT

TopTec wrote: »
    I have 2 Shih Tzu's who have their sacs emptied a couple of times a year. They are both due about now actually. My vet does this as part of their normal check up and vaccinations in September and again in early Spring. Their poo's are normal most of the time and occasionally quite firm but that doesn't seem to make any difference.

Definitely a 2 person job. They do wriggle, (who wouldn't with a finger up your backside!), and I hold them firmly while she does the squeezing. It is usually pretty impacted although once when it was normal the stuff shot across the surgery and splattered the window and the vets chin.

It stinks as well, so it is a rear end bath for them both when we get home.

I am interested in the chicken wing suggestions... I will pick some up tomorrow and give it a go.

TT

I don't believe in god but if I did I'd be praying that the chicken wings work :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭DerTierarzt

Best to book an appointment for demonstration by your veterinary healthcare professional (usually nurse) for a demonstration of the non-invasive way to evacuate the anal glands.
    I've read about this method online

The method you describe is an invasive one best performed by a veterinary healthcare professional as it effectively is a rectal examination.

You're absolutely correct, do it as you notice the clinical signs, and make a record so you can assess if the occurrence is related to dietary change, environmental factors, diarrhoea or softening of the stools etc.
    I have read online that if you have to empty the sacs more than 4 times a year that the operation should be considered

Anal sacculectomy may be considered if the animal has a congenital condition, or if the condition responds poorly to medical management (i.e.: increase in frequency and severity). In your case it's early days yet (this is generally reserved for quarterly anal gland abscesses).
    Is it likely that the anal sacs filling up is causing the dogs any discomfort/pain?

Yes, it is akin to a deep itching sensation that is quite uncomfortable.
    Is it likely that the constant emptying of the anal sacs will cause them discomfort/pain?

The emptying of the anal glands is transiently uncomfortable, but allows short-medium term relief as you address the problem.
    1. Feed a dry diet
    2. If problem persists supplement the diet with fibre (either All Bran or source psyllium from a healthstore)
    3. Treat your animal regularly against whipworm and hookworm (minumum every 3 months)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I wouldn't do it myself...the smell is vile plus you need to make sure you catch the liquid!
    One of my dogs has trouble with them but doesn't drag her bum....I get the vet to empty them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Satori Rae

One of the dogs I own suffers from full anal glands a lot I think just due to his breed (its something he is more prone to suffering from.)

May I recommend you take a look at their food and diet as this can help contribute to the issue you are having. I switched my dogs onto burns sensitive and I must say they difference is immense. The particular dog I had in question couldn't stop dragging his butt off the floor excessively and as soon as I bought him to the vet to get them emptied in 2 days time he was at it again. (they filled up that quickly)

My vet told me that he didn't want to keep emptying his glands due to the fact if you do it to much it will hurt the dog (the glands need a little in there). So he looked at his diet and we made a switch now once a year he might need them done is all :)

Burns can be pricey but the sensitive is to help with that issue and others like it, plus if you get a big bag and due to you having small dogs it will last yonks :) You could probably look at other brands too :)

Oh and also I would just get the vet to do it, sometimes if they are very impacted it is hard to express them and you can hurt the dog trying if you are not use to it :)
    Also if you are on a budget I find giving the dog a bit of plain brown bread will help them out due to the fibre in it but be careful not to give to much or you could constipate them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭reeta

My dog is a springer/cocker spaniel cross and suffers from full anal glands regularly. My vet told me that spaniels can be prone to this. I used to bring her every 6/8 weeks to get them emptied then the vet showed me how to do it. The first couple of times I was afraid I would hurt her but now it is relatively easy.

However, reading other posts I am wondering about her food. She is on Red Mills Supreme. It is one of the very few foods that doesnt affect her stomach and she loves it. Should I look into changing her food as I could be empyting her sacs every two to three weeks ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

Millem wrote: »
    I wouldn't do it myself...the smell is vile plus you need to make sure you catch the liquid!

Why do you want to catch the liquid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Dozer Dave wrote: »

My vet uses cotton wool to catch it. I presume it would go on the floor or onto the dog's hair etc. it smells very bad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

reeta wrote: »
    However, reading other posts I am wondering about her food. She is on Red Mills Supreme. It is one of the very few foods that doesnt affect her stomach and she loves it. Should I look into changing her food as I could be empyting her sacs every two to three weeks ?
    Give her a raw chicken wing a week (and stay with her and make sure she chews it properly rather than swallowing it whole) and it will help with her anal glands or alternatively you can look at adding some psyllis seeds (start with half a teaspoon) to her kibble if she's a good drinker.

Basically they need more fibre to empty it themselves and either of the above should help.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Since changing Tara's (daschund / jrt X) Food to wheat free, we no longer have to take her every 6 weeks to get her glands done. Now it's maybe 3 or 4 times a year max.
    She also gets raw wings every now and then.

Best to book an appointment for demonstration by your veterinary healthcare professional (usually nurse) for a demonstration of the non-invasive way to evacuate the anal glands.

The method you describe is an invasive one best performed by a veterinary healthcare professional as it effectively is a rectal examination.

You're absolutely correct, do it as you notice the clinical signs, and make a record so you can assess if the occurrence is related to dietary change, environmental factors, diarrhoea or softening of the stools etc.

Anal sacculectomy may be considered if the animal has a congenital condition, or if the condition responds poorly to medical management (i.e.: increase in frequency and severity). In your case it's early days yet (this is generally reserved for quarterly anal gland abscesses).

Yes, it is akin to a deep itching sensation that is quite uncomfortable.

The emptying of the anal glands is transiently uncomfortable, but allows short-medium term relief as you address the problem.

1. Feed a dry diet
    2. If problem persists supplement the diet with fibre (either All Bran or source psyllium from a healthstore)
    3. Treat your animal regularly against whipworm and hookworm (minumum every 3 months)
    Satori Rae wrote: »
    One of the dogs I own suffers from full anal glands a lot I think just due to his breed (its something he is more prone to suffering from.)

May I recommend you take a look at their food and diet as this can help contribute to the issue you are having. I switched my dogs onto burns sensitive and I must say they difference is immense. The particular dog I had in question couldn't stop dragging his butt off the floor excessively and as soon as I bought him to the vet to get them emptied in 2 days time he was at it again. (they filled up that quickly)

My vet told me that he didn't want to keep emptying his glands due to the fact if you do it to much it will hurt the dog (the glands need a little in there). So he looked at his diet and we made a switch now once a year he might need them done is all :)

Burns can be pricey but the sensitive is to help with that issue and others like it, plus if you get a big bag and due to you having small dogs it will last yonks :) You could probably look at other brands too :)

Oh and also I would just get the vet to do it, sometimes if they are very impacted it is hard to express them and you can hurt the dog trying if you are not use to it :)
    Also if you are on a budget I find giving the dog a bit of plain brown bread will help them out due to the fibre in it but be careful not to give to much or you could constipate them :)

Just noticed this thread back on the front page, you're a bit late to the party :pac:
    The chicken wings sorted them out so they get them once a week now :D

Just noticed this thread back on the front page, you're a bit late to the party :pac:
    The chicken wings sorted them out so they get them once a week now :D

How long does it take them to eat it lol?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

Maybe I stand corrected but I was always told that chicken wing or any chicken bones are dangerous to dogs as there's a chance they may splinter and puncture one of the dogs organs.Ive a shin tzu she goes to vet every 3 months to get sac released as I'm afraid I'd hurt her but I will defo get that fiber stuff for her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

texas star wrote: »
    Maybe I stand corrected but I was always told that chicken wing or any chicken bones are dangerous to dogs as there's a chance they may splinter and puncture one of the dogs organs.Ive a shin tzu she goes to vet every 3 months to get sac released as I'm afraid I'd hurt her but I will defo get that fiber stuff for her.

You should never give COOKED chicken bones, or indeed any bones to dogs, raw are fine, as long as you watch the dogs with the first few, to make sure they are chewing and not just swallowing whole, and give size appropriate and not weight bearing bones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭irishlady29

I wouldn't recommend emptying the anals glands, I think it needs to be done by some thats familiar with it. I would be concerned of hurting the dog and also if its done incorrectly would there be risk of incontinence?

How long does it take them to eat it lol?

:pac:
    I give them the smaller ones but it usually takes about 20 minutes. The 2 german shepherds take just over 5 minutes :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

There is no way I could make my dog chew her food she would swallow that bone in one go as shes a guzzly guts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

My two girl Shih-Tzus, (aged 8 and 9) have been having raw chickens wings for about 4 months now. they have them twice a week. I chop one in half and they get turns at the fleshy part and the boney part. They love them.

This has definitely firmed up their stools. They have been having their glands cleaned out twice a year by the groomer and the vet. I will be interested to see how the chicken affects their glands the next time they are checked.

TT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Thanks to advice I got here several months ago, I buy a couple of packets of chicken wings about once a month - the free range ones from Dunnes are about €3 or €4 - cut off all the wing-tips and feed my small dog three or four per day for a couple of days. The rest of the wing-tips get frozen for later and the top two parts of the wings get roasted and made into stock or sauced for nibbles. If we're roasting a chicken, I cut off the wing-tips before cooking and she gets those too. Fingers crossed but no scooting issues for ages between the chicken and raw carrots.

texas star wrote: »
    There is no way I could make my dog chew her food she would swallow that bone in one go as shes a guzzly guts.

You could try holding one end so she leans to chew it or just cut the wing up - chicken bones are very soft so you can do it with a scissors/kitchen sheers. When I give my retrievers wings I always break the bones up because the wings are so small compared to what they'd normally get they swallow them whole too!
    Ribs are very good - the bones are very soft but not too small like a wing ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My two love lamb ribs, my butcher keeps a few for me, even the small dog has a good go at them, even if she can't get through a whole one. She gets though a chicken wing in 5 mins or so I think, must time her next time. Oliver has them down in about 3 mins or less, cats eat them damn fast too. Crunching is funny, I line them all up in the garden, only the 14 year old cat can't manage them, might try a few cracks of a hammer and see how he does.

I mean hammer on chicken wings to break up bones, not on the poor old cat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Dozer Dave wrote: »

It is the most foul-smelling, repulsive stuff on the planet! Speaking as a vet nurse who's had to hold many a dog while the vet empties the anal glands - seriously, if it's necessary, pay any money for someone else to do it, outside your home! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

You don't need to put fingers inside the dog's anus.

Get a couple of sheets of kitchen paper and fold them together twice into a triangle. Put your dog between your legs with the back facing forward. Lift up the tail. Gently but firmly squeeze the anus from either side, so the anal liquid squirts out into the tissues. That's it. Discard the kitchen paper. Wash your hands.

This doesn't hurt the dog and is perfectly efficient. I'll see if I can find an online description with pictures…

Yeah, here you go: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-empty-your-dogs-anal-sacs.html

Advertisement