Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emptying anal glands - should I do it myself?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I can empty anal glands, but wouldn't do it myself!!

My dog sometimes suffers from impacted anal glands, even with a dry food diet and the addition of psyllium husk to his food. I get the vet to do them when he goes for his check-up if needed.

I wouldn't give him a chicken wing as I'm not happy about the fine bones, nor would I give him All-Bran as the problem would be made much worse if he didn't drink enough to pass the bran. He loves raw carrots, so I give him those as a treat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

ABajaninCork where do u get psyllium husk.Im very interested in trying my shih tzu on it.How do u smuggle it into your dogs food if Molly gets one whiff of something different she won't touch it.She also eats carrots.As for emptying her glands myself the vet showed me but it's way inside her bum even the groomers can't reach unless shown by a vet this is what vet told me so I'll leave that job to himself.Even after her glands have been released she still goes about scooting :confused: I won't be using chicken bones either just incase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Please try some of the remedies suggested here, or take the dog to the vet to have the anal glands emptied.

Just imagine how you would feel if someone "had a go" at a procedure like this on you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

texas star wrote: »
    ABajaninCork where do u get psyllium husk.Im very interested in trying my shih tzu on it.
    Most health stores should sell it but makes sure you know what you want; Husks are whitish; usually in flour form:
    1450-8412-4.jpg
    They should usually be taken with about 8x volume in water as they swell and bloat and make more go out so to speak so only for dogs that do drink properly.

Psyllium seeds are much more rare to find (and very often mislabeled!)
    MHS336.jpg
    They are much smaller, dark brown only (don't get confused by google image search!) and unlike husks will go straight through untouched in general (and hence give the intestines a work out but will not bloat up) and also help firm things up (because the intestines will work on them without success).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Emptying the glands in the way I describe above isn't messy or particularly smelly, isn't unpleasant for the dog, and takes about 20 seconds. It's basically squeezing just below the dog's asshole with a folded tissue to cover the area and catch the secretion as it squirts out.

http://www.pawsitivelyclean.com/anal.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I get my psyllium husks from My Protein. I get a kilo bag at a time as it lasts longer and is cheaper on the postage. The composition has since changed and is now a powder which comes with a little scoop.

You can get it at Holland & Barrett as well, but I find it very expensive and you don't get muh.

All I do is mix it in (about a teaspoon) with His Highness' food with a little coconut oil. He eats it all, no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Please try some of the remedies suggested here, or take the dog to the vet to have the anal glands emptied.

Just imagine how you would feel if someone "had a go" at a procedure like this on you.

Not sure if this is directed at me but just in case, I sorted out the problem nearly 2 months ago:
    Frigga_92 wrote: »
    Just noticed this thread back on the front page, you're a bit late to the party pacman.gif
    The chicken wings sorted them out so they get them once a week now biggrin.png

Well, I "had a go" on the procedure I describe above when my dog was a half-grown pup, and have done it as necessary ever since. It relieves her and clears the glands. She comes running when she sees me with the tissues, if she's got an itchy bottom. On the other hand, if I bring her to the vet and he does the finger-up-the-rectum version, she cries out with pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Satori Rae

Well, I "had a go" on the procedure I describe above when my dog was a half-grown pup, and have done it as necessary ever since. It relieves her and clears the glands. She comes running when she sees me with the tissues, if she's got an itchy bottom. On the other hand, if I bring her to the vet and he does the finger-up-the-rectum version, she cries out with pain.

Never seen a vet do that or a groomer that doesn't sound right at all :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Satori Rae wrote: »
    Never seen a vet do that or a groomer that doesn't sound right at all :o

Actually it IS the right way to do it to stop them possibly becoming impacted by doing it the wrong way when squeezing them - is what they do in our vets anyways (not that we've needed it done since switching to raw)? I know a few excellent groomers and none of them will empty a dog's glands because of the damage that can be done by doing in incorrectly.

• Advertisement

tk123 wrote: »
    Actually it IS the right way to do it to stop them possibly becoming impacted by doing it the wrong way when squeezing them - is what they do in our vets anyways (not that we've needed it done since switching to raw)? I know a few excellent groomers and none of them will empty a dog's glands because of the damage that can be done by doing in incorrectly.

I must ask my vet about this cause they deffo do not do this nor do any groomers I know...that sounds well awful o.0 They can be though to express but that sounds way intrusive. Oh also the groomers I know work in the vets so maybe that is why they are comfy doing it.

I know in bigger breeds you have to pump the tail sometimes to help loosen it up so to speak.

Well, this is worrying. I told the vet how I was doing it years ago and he didn't say any of this. Hmm.

Well, this is worrying. I told the vet how I was doing it years ago and he didn't say any of this. Hmm.

What way did you use to do it?

What way did you use to do it?

As I say above - just fold up a couple of pieces of kitchen paper into a triangle, straddle the dog, lift up the tail and gently squeeze the bottom so the anal glands squirt out into the tissue, then give a pet to the dog, burn the kitchen paper and wash the hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I know in bigger breeds you have to pump the tail sometimes to help loosen it up so to speak.

LMAO :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

tk123 wrote: »
    LMAO :pac::pac:

Picturing the dog's confusion as its tail is 'pumped'. :D :eek:

My friends a veterinary nurse we had a discussion about it one day as I was curious about it when my dog had an issue with it, that is what she said.

As I say above - just fold up a couple of pieces of kitchen paper into a triangle, straddle the dog, lift up the tail and gently squeeze the bottom so the anal glands squirt out into the tissue, then give a pet to the dog, burn the kitchen paper and wash the hands.

That is the way I do it and my vets :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

ABajaninCork grand I'll try Holland and Barrett first for a small amount.Molly's on dry food so getting it into could be a problem.Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭reeta

That is the way I do it and my vets :)

Same here. Vet showed me how to do it that way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement