Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow in March?

Options
  • 24-02-2015 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

Can anyone picture Snow for March coming??

I think it will!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ole ole

no chance

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dublinbusdude

ole ole wrote: »
    no chance

Why??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Both Sunday and Monday night look likely.
    Indeed Monday could see frequent snow showers across the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Didn't we have snow last March ? I remember a small covering in North Dublin, around mid month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Monday & Tuesday look like a possibility, although no more than a sprinkle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭mike2084

Not in Ireland, but back in 1987 the Cheltenham Gold Cup was delayed by 45 minutes due to a snow storm. Note how white the back straight is.

http://youtu.be/UXBlsEesDtw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭vandriver

March 29th/30th 2010 were snowy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

We get snow in March almost every year but it's usually just night time dustings or snow showers that melt on impact. It's very rare to see lying snow for more than a day in March. Parts of Northern Ireland saw an exceptional event 2 years ago but those are once in a life time style of events and certainly something Ive never seen around here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

vandriver wrote: »

That was 2013. Last year was lovely that weekend. I know for certain as I was cycling to/from Galway at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

There are indications on tonights models that the POV is about to start breaking down. That could spell a rather wintery March for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Two charts OP

archives-2013-3-12-0-1.png

archives-2013-3-12-0-0.png

Brought very heavy snow showers to the east.

To put it in perspective that is colder air than we had throughout both record winters in 2010. Of course the sun delivers that bit more energy in March so whilst at night snow settles quickly during the day it melts quickly.

Could happen again...eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Snowed around Paddys day a couple of year ago

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭vandriver

Orion wrote: »
    That was 2013. Last year was lovely that weekend. I know for certain as I was cycling to/from Galway at the time

It may well have been snowy in 2013,but the photo I have of my kids pelting each other with snowballs is dated 30/03/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

340053.JPG"]DSC07764.JPG
    March 2013, Blanchardstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

340053.JPG"]DSC07764.JPG
    March 2013, Blanchardstown.

I remember this pic/back garden from a few years ago. That mannequin put the fear of God in half the weather boardsies in a snowy night pic you posted... Would you not hide that creepy thing :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I remember being forced off the Maamturks on March 18th 2013 by a snow storm.

This was Lugnaquilla on 1st March 2014 too ...

z008k.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

vandriver wrote: »

You could be right there. We went to the Giant's Causeway that Friday (which was 2nd April and was Good Friday). We were travelling from Donegal across to Giant's Causeway and we encountered some high snow piled up along the side of the road in the North and we were near turning back.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,921 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

We had snow in March in 2006. I remember coz I was in 5th year and we had exchange students in our class. One of the girls had never seen real snow before so the teacher let us out to play in it. I can't find the pictures I had now!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

March 27th 2013 , D11 :)
    340100.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Iancar29 wrote: »
    March 27th 2013 , D11 :)
    340100.jpg[IMG][/img]

Great photo, used to live just around the corner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Gonzo wrote: »
    We get snow in March almost every year but it's usually just night time dustings or snow showers that melt on impact. It's very rare to see lying snow for more than a day in March.
    You don't remember the first week of March 2001? (too young? :eek:) There was a very decent fall on Feb 28th, about 10-15cm maybe?, and it lay for the best part of a week and only thawed in places that got the sun all day as far as I can remember. I also remember recording temps as low as -8c that week.
    http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/2001/brack/bracka20010228.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

I posted this a couple a years ago, But I decided to post again as some people think snow in march is rare has hen's teeth.

I started on a new building site first week in May '97. Only the steel work of the new factory was in place I started the block work that week. Never forget it. We had no cover from the heavy snow showers that pounded us all day especially on the 6th in a biting North wind. Wind chill was -4 -5 that day if I can find the data again I will post it.

Rrea00119970506.gif

Rrea00119970507.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

There was a good 6 to 8 inches of snow that stayed on the ground for a week in March 1978 across South Dublin,Wicklow and at its worst in East Wexford at sea level
    I'll let anyone who has the time to dig out the charts as I don't have the date,I just know it fell over 2 or 3 days and on the second day it was awful heavy
    Ice days aswell,yes in March that lasted a week.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

There was a good 6 to 8 inches of snow that stayed on the ground for a week in March 1978 across South Dublin,Wicklow and at its worst in East Wexford at sea level
    I'll let anyone who has the time to dig out the charts as I don't have the date,I just know it fell over 2 or 3 days and on the second day it was awful heavy
    Ice days aswell,yes in March that lasted a week.

I take it that during that spell of 1978 the IOM shadow played hell on North Dublin, Meath and Louth:)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Gonzo wrote: »
    I take it that during that spell of 1978 the IOM shadow played hell on North Dublin, Meath and Louth:)?
    'Twas possibly a weather front,so not sure-I was too young to note the wind direction but there was no drifting,just a solid fall
    I can remember the tv news had footage from Gorey co Wexford and it was plastered,similar to here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

St patricks day 2013 we had snow in balbriggan,it didn't stick for too long but its certainly possible to have snow in march

• Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Current charts are showing thicknesses around 520 dm over much of Ireland on Tuesday in strong westerly winds. This could lead to blizzards over higher ground in the northwest and widespread snow showers elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Personally I reckon wer in for a cold march until the last week

Snow on occasions but mostly blowy non impact stuff starting sunday night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I think today answered all the earlier questions.
    Yes it is snowing in March:)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Snow in March is common! In fact, it snows more frequently in March than in December.

https://weatherspark.com/averages/28818/Dublin-Leinster-Ireland

I think 2010 with the extremely rare November snow has skewed people's view of the normal pattern.

Advertisement