Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1.9 TDI AGR Turbo Oil Leak

Options
  • 24-02-2015 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

I had to top up about half of a litre of oil into my engine, 6000ish miles after the last oil change. Yesterday, I noticed some oil build up at the base of my turbo. Normally, the car never used oil so I think I have found the culprit.

The only daytime visible smoke is white and I think from unburned fuel during start up, where the engine can crank for about two seconds before kicking in. I know my timing is off slightly, according to VAGCOM, and I don't trust my glowplugs.

There is obvious "invisible" smoke on hard acceleration from 2nd/3rd gear. I say invisible, as it has only ever been visible when headlights of cars behind light it up, so I don't see it on my commute any more thanks to the changing of the seasons.

Given that info, am I looking at a failing turbo or are there things like seals perishing? I am hoping it is the latter as the engine is 210,000 miles old and there is no noticeable power delivery issue.

Thanks!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

bbk wrote: »
    Howdy,

I had to top up about half of a litre of oil into my engine, 6000ish miles after the last oil change. Yesterday, I noticed some oil build up at the base of my turbo. Normally, the car never used oil so I think I have found the culprit.

The only daytime visible smoke is white and I think from unburned fuel during start up, where the engine can crank for about two seconds before kicking in. I know my timing is off slightly, according to VAGCOM, and I don't trust my glowplugs.

There is obvious "invisible" smoke on hard acceleration from 2nd/3rd gear. I say invisible, as it has only ever been visible when headlights of cars behind light it up, so I don't see it on my commute any more thanks to the changing of the seasons.

Given that info, am I looking at a failing turbo or are there things like seals perishing? I am hoping it is the latter as the engine is 210,000 miles old and there is no noticeable power delivery issue.

Thanks!!

Any bubbles in the clear line from your filter? Could be the cause of white smoke on startup because of a blocked pickup. Try maxol diesel too, see if it's any better. Find it the best.

A bit of oil in the intake pipes is normal from the breather tubes. A puddle on the other hand. I wouldn't condemn a turbo on that alone. Check all the breather system is good. The colour of the smoke would give you some more clues. White smoke is lean burnt diesel. Black is rich and a bluey/clear/black type smoke is oil burning. You'd recognise it if you seen it. Maybe get someone to rev it as you drive behind up a hill or something or even at idle.

Any leaks on the outside of the engine? The usual oil filter/housing, rocker cover, sump bung, sump gasket etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

Interslice wrote: »
    Any bubbles in the clear line from your filter? Could be the cause of white smoke on startup because of a blocked pickup. Try maxol diesel too, see if it's any better. Find it the best.

A bit of oil in the intake pipes is normal from the breather tubes. A puddle on the other hand. I wouldn't condemn a turbo on that alone. Check all the breather system is good. The colour of the smoke would give you some more clues. White smoke is lean burnt diesel. Black is rich and a bluey/clear/black type smoke is oil burning. You'd recognise it if you seen it. Maybe get someone to rev it as you drive behind up a hill or something or even at idle.

Any leaks on the outside of the engine? The usual oil filter/housing, rocker cover, sump bung, sump gasket etc.

There are bubbles in the clear line. No puddles or obvious leaks.

Smoke is white but only ever there on start up. Starts are perfect after the car has been running a while.

Timing belt was renewed and the mechanic noted timing was significantly off as per marks on pulleys. It has not improved starting but engine sounds smoother.

I remember I replaced all the glowplugs two years ago and the coolant temp sender 5 years ago. For a long time, engine temp as indicated on the dash has rarely reached 90 and noticeably drops when I come off the motorway during the non Summer months.

I think I'm wrong blaming the turbo on this.

Image of leak, behind engine at the turbo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

its not excesive oil consumption by any means. Check the oil cooler. They can get blocked and give a little trouble.

Id say the white smoke on start up is air in the fuel line. Could be the sender in the tank is blocked or cracked.

• Advertisement

Thought originally you had oil in your turbo not on it!!! Looks like a leak somewhere. From the feed to the turbo maybe. Clean it all down and look for the source then.

I wouldn't know where the oil cooler would be on my engine, but I will look it up.

I have been purposely cycling the preheat a few times before start up in the morning, and it starts much better. But I think Interslice is right about checking out the air in the clear fuel line; every little helps at least.

Regarding the oil leak, my oil consumption was so low before that I never needed to top it up; once I get time I will give it a proper clean and have keep an eye out.

Tis going grand for 212k miles.

Advertisement