Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diabetic dog

• 24-02-2015 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi,
    My 6 year old miniature schnauzer has just been diagnosed with diabetes.
    Would anyone have experience with this condition in dogs and is it costly regarding administrating insulin? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

insulin is given in the muscle- it would certainly be something the vet can teach you, just like they teach humans.I wouldn't know about the costs of the insulin but I can't imagine it's a lot.If your vet won't teach you, they are moneygrabbers-go find another vet who will.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭acermaple

My little terrier who passed away 2 years ago aged 14 years had diabetes for the last two years of her life. Administering the insulin is easy enough, we usually injected it around the neck area but moved the site around a bit so as not to cause soreness. We usually gave it around meal times and when we got a bit proficient she really didn't notice too much as she was busy munching away. My recollection was that the insulin cost about €75 per month (2 years ago) but my dog was on a twice a day dose for the last 12 months so you may not need as much, syringes were extra, cant remember the cost but they came in a big box and lasted a fair while. Good luck with your baby, hope all goes well for you both.

Advertisement