Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turn €1 into €2....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 fungi_forest

save up the money and put the money into water pumps for the people in south Africa,etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

Serious posts get serious responses, daft ones get a reality check. I ya dont like 'em, dont read 'em! Funny enough the people you attempt to denigrate are the ones with the long experience, says more about you than us!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Dean0088 wrote: »
    Look - I'm not a mod or anything. But most of your posts on this forum are just vitriol or laughing at people who post naive questions. Why do you even bother?

At the best of times this forum is like a Revenue.ie help section. Whenever threads that might actually offer a glimmer of creativity come along, they get shat all over by a few resident "experienced", "seen it all before" auld lads on here who's main reason for owning an account on Boards.ie seems to be to grumble and groan.

Yeah - some people come on here asking for million dollar ideas and we all have a chuckle. But there's no need to torpedo every thread that doesn't ask "what's a TR1 form?"

The tone of your contributions remind me of the 55 year old middle managers, wide in the middle, bald up top, who still complain about the Euro replacing "the punt". Get a fcuking grip.

So, you don’t want the hard work of a Mod, but you want to dish out ‘correction’?:rolleyes:

Are you seriously suggesting that the s#it asked on this particular thread contains any “glimmer of creativity”? (your words) :D

Have you bothered your ar$e to research the other contributions of ‘Nomix?
    The title of this thread is absurd, it belongs in “After Hours”. As do your observations. And, FWIW, like me, the other Pedro was around before the punt, around even before dem damn demicals had us killt, so currency change is not an issue for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I wasn't trying to start a row or anything here guys, I was just looking for success stories or tips, anything really that has an element of education to it. I know I came in very vague but I didn't want the thread to get pulled towards any half hearted ideas I currently have and hoped it would evolve more into a discussion.

I do really like dean0088's idea of a bunch of people take a certain amount and seeing who can get the best return on it, those are the kind of stories I love hearing about and find very inspiring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

pedronomix wrote: »
    Earning a few quid on the side is not in any definition of entrepreneur that meets even the most basic definitions of the term. 8-6 job and actually no idea in mind.... best of luck with that!

So what is the correct definition of the term Entrepreneur?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Nice forum this...

syklops wrote: »
    So what is the correct definition of the term Entrepreneur?

Construct a sentence containing the words Entrepreneur, Research, Innovate, Manage, Work, Hard, Belief, Profit, Reward and you can have your very own definition.

The tone of your contributions remind me of the 55 year old middle managers, wide in the middle, bald up top, who still complain about the Euro replacing "the punt". Get a fcuking grip.

I am much older than that and have a full head of hair. I have always been in multi-currency businesses and am a fan of the benefits of the single currency. As to being thicker in the middle, 'tis preferable to being thick between the ears.
    it is interesting to note that most of your posts on here have been as a student start-up advice seeker, never much in terms of adding useful advice. Hope your video explainer animation business is going well, I actually gave you one of your first gigs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Wow, I came on to this forum looking for a bit of advice and guidance my self,
    but the level of aggressiveness is shocking, I'll take my inquiries elsewhere.
    OP good luck with what ever side line you go with, if you turn a small profit, success! Forget the nay sayers.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭laurenhiggins

Some great ideas here

• Advertisement

neckedit wrote: »
    Wow, I came on to this forum looking for a bit of advice and guidance my self,
    but the level of aggressiveness is shocking, I'll take my inquiries elsewhere.
    OP good luck with what ever side line you go with, if you turn a small profit, success! Forget the nay sayers.

This is a business forum. Starting or running a business is aggressive, tough, unfair, frustrating, heart breaking, home wrecking etc etc, it can have great rewards too.. so this, and business, are probably not the places for those of paticularly delicate sensibilities

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

This is a business forum. Starting or running a business is aggressive, tough, unfair, frustrating, heart breaking, home wrecking etc etc, it can have great rewards too.. so this, and business, are probably not the places for those of paticularly delicate sensibilities

It may be a business forum but it's a discussion forum none the less which is open to any one to air their questions and views without ridicule.

There is a charter that we all have to adhere to.

It may be a business forum but it's a discussion forum none the less which is open to any one to air their questions and views without ridicule.

There is a charter that we all have to adhere to.

Even though it is very out of date, berating/ridiculing daft ideas is permitted. Personal abuse is not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

This. It's better to have people who aren't afraid to offend you and won't dance around issues with their criticisms than people who will just be polite and always positive. The latter is actually damaging if anything since it can cause one to become complacent since if they only ever heard positive feedback they're not hearing things to improve upon. To be honest, I don't see the big deal in anything being said so far, this forum is like a stroll through a flower garden on a sunny day compared to other forums available. It's all anonymous at the end of the day, just how hurt can one's precious feelings get from opinions of random people? Man up!

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

This. It's better to have people who aren't afraid to offend you and won't dance around issues with their criticisms than people who will just be polite and always positive. The latter is actually damaging if anything since it can cause one to become complacent since if they only ever heard positive feedback they're not hearing things to improve upon. To be honest, I don't see the big deal in anything being said so far, this forum is like a stroll through a flower garden on a sunny day compared to other forums available. It's all anonymous at the end of the day, just how hurt can one's precious feelings get from opinions of random people? Man up!

I don't think anyone was suggesting all feedback should be positive, but it should be constructive.

dRNk SAnTA wrote: »
    I don't think anyone was suggesting all feedback should be positive, but it should be constructive.

and as the topic is a serious one, realistic and pragmatic contributions are also necessary! Just dont expect feathers from a frog!

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭magicmoves

What about buying shares in a company, It does require alot of research and there is an element of risk but it is something you can do from home

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

magicmoves wrote: »
    What about buying shares in a company, It does require alot of research and there is an element of risk but it is something you can do from home

Buying a share for a single € is likely to cost you €30 in commission/fees. The chances of the share doubling in value to €2 are slim enough and would still leave you €28 down on the transaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

magicmoves wrote: »

I still rue the failure to invest in Atlantic Resources about 30 years ago. Proverbial penny shares that peaked at 10 quid before being split.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I guess it was a while ago so younger folk might not have heard of it but anyone looking to turn something small into something big should have a look at One Red Paper Clip it got a lot of press back at the time impressive what you can turn a red paper clip into in just 14 trades and a year. The media played a huge roll in the success of it but sure marketing is always part of a success story in business!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

One of the best examples of good ROI was the MillionDollarWebPage effort.
    Cost=100 units, Return=1,000,000 units all within 30days or so.
    It did rely heavily on (mostly free) viral marketing of what was (then) a rather good, fairly unique and novel idea.

Unless you have a uniquely superb idea, will have to utilise own skills, talents, knowledge or other USPs.
    Would need more than 1e to start with. Perhaps set benchmark of 100.

One (slower) but simple demand-constant route would be bottles of water in summer. 300% return est.
    Humans can only survive 3 days without water.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

One of the best examples of good ROI was the MillionDollarWebPage effort.
    Cost=100 units, Return=1,000,000 units all within 30days or so.
    It did rely heavily on (mostly free) viral marketing of what was (then) a rather good, fairly unique and novel idea.

Unless you have a uniquely superb idea, will have to utilise own skills, talents, knowledge or other USPs.
    Would need more than 1e to start with. Perhaps set benchmark of 100.

One (slower) but simple demand-constant route would be bottles of water in summer. 300% return est.
    Humans can only survive 3 days without water.

Yeh that one was amazing too. I think there they sold the first 500-1000 or so to family and spent that on marketing I seem to remember.

If you've cash to burn one current option would be financial markets.
    176% ROI (today) for Crude to be over [current: 48.650] at 9pm.
    Generally a commission/cost-free trade, but 176% still isn't 200%.

Simple logic this one really, any sense of tensions easing in UKR and oil will start to spring back towards normality.
    (From its current super-suppressed, politically-linked devaluation).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Simple logic this one really, any sense of tensions easing in UKR and oil will start to spring back towards normality.

Hmm usually in times of political turmoil the price of commodities rises. Spare a thought for everyone sat on gold bought at $1800 expecting some relief and getting none!

Hmm usually in times of political turmoil the price of commodities rises. Spare a thought for everyone sat on gold bought at $1800 expecting some relief and getting none!

Generally, but the specific intention currently with oil, is to hurt the RedStars as much as possible as other sanctions only had so much of an impact. Also read somewhere that few of the IShoodies with new access to oil have been trying to sell on the dark market, but folks can still but it cheaper from proper shops :).

Oil prices can only bottom out for so long, ideally 3/6mth trade target to start and re-normalise. (All being well). Gold is a tricky one, was some drop from 1800... Plenty of folks banging on long-times about Silver being cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Your 'simple logic' is already built into the market price. Unless you know something that every other trader in the world doesn't know, it's hard to compete.

Well Brent has about halved in just 6mths and WTI Crude is at 5yr low, the only was is UP if the price is artificially/unnaturally low.
    The two main contextual factors (above) will likely dictate when exactly though, maybe in a few months.
    Surely its not a longer/mid-term sustainable price is it?

// Agree in relation to 'today's price' yes very hard to predict.
    newsnow.co.uk / h / Hot+Topics / Russia+Sanctions
    But bit of PR coming out am about costs to ExxonMobil ($1bn lost) from sanctions.

Possible but still 'fairly risky' way to turn 1e into 1.76e in few hours...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'm in for the 30 day challenge, should we start with 30.00 EUR and everyone has to post on 1st March what their initial intentions are with a weekly update?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Well Brent has about halved in just 6mths and WTI Crude is at 5yr low, the only was is UP if the price is artificially/unnaturally low.
    The two main contextual factors (above) will likely dictate when exactly though, maybe in a few months.
    Surely its not a longer/mid-term sustainable price is it?

// Agree in relation to 'today's price' yes very hard to predict.
    newsnow.co.uk / h / Hot+Topics / Russia+Sanctions
    But bit of PR coming out am about costs to ExxonMobil ($1bn lost) from sanctions.

Possible but still 'fairly risky' way to turn 1e into 1.76e in few hours...

I know absolutely nothing about Brent, except David Brent from the office. But my point is about market pricing. Doesn't every trader in the market, including the guys who's full time job is to trade this stuff, have access to the same information as you have? So therefore, that information is priced into the current price - no?

• Advertisement

Bit like horse race betting really, is your judgement better than the bookies? If so you are on a winner!!

Advertisement