Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turn €1 into €2....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

pedronomix wrote:
    This is a business forum. Starting or running a business is aggressive, tough, unfair, frustrating, heart breaking, home wrecking etc etc, it can have great rewards too.. so this, and business, are probably not the places for those of paticularly delicate sensibilities

I have both, set up a business and folded the same, and I can assure you I know the trappings and joys of both. While this is a Business forum, it is also a forum where people can use the users as a sound board and a possible place to get new Ideas and opinions. While I agree criticism is vital in needs to be contstructie and not just a passive aggressive statement trying to show how learned or experienced you are. You may learn a little by giving a little. As for being sensitive........ Brilliant..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

pedronomix wrote:
    I am much older than that and have a full head of hair. I have always been in multi-currency businesses and am a fan of the benefits of the single currency. As to being thicker in the middle, 'tis preferable to being thick between the ears. it is interesting to note that most of your posts on here have been as a student start-up advice seeker, never much in terms of adding useful advice. Hope your video explainer animation business is going well, I actually gave you one of your first gigs!!

Of course it was - I was a student trying to get a side business up and running. That thread I created (over a year ago now) was littered with comments of how well I took criticism. I've never been accused of being a sensitive individual - that I can tell you.

The simple fact is that repeatedly posting unhelpful, snide remarks on "How can I get rich??!!" thread does two things:

1. Keeps them on the front page, pushing down decent, helpful discussions and showing new visitors that these kind of threads are entertained.

2. Sets a terrible tone for this forum. Online places are now different to real world places - if they're full of mean people, punters head elsewhere.

You may view me and other young posters here as mere useless kids. That's fine. But I've helped several Irish business in ways the 'older crowd' simply cannot. And in return they've helped me.

It is possible for help and learning to go two ways. I've had older entrepreneurs help me too : the key difference is that they actually remember when they were starting up on Day Zero in their twenties with no money, no family business to step into, no entrepreneurs to mentor them and a road full of mistakes ahead.

If you don't want to partake in a little creative challenge then don't. Some people would like to A/B test a site or trail a product.

Head to another thread and help in whatever way you can there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

RainyDay wrote: »
    I know absolutely nothing about Brent, except David Brent from the office. But my point is about market pricing. Doesn't every trader in the market, including the guys who's full time job is to trade this stuff, have access to the same information as you have? So therefore, that information is priced into the current price - no?

A Boxing day sale at any Next store has the current correct price from 07:00 that particular morning, it isn't the usual correct sustainable price though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

A Boxing day sale at any Next store has the current correct price from 07:00 that particular morning, it isn't the usual correct sustainable price though.

The analogy doesn't hold. Next set their own prices. The price of Brent is set by the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

If you've cash to burn one current option would be financial markets. 176% ROI (today) for Crude to be over [current: 48.650] at 9pm. Generally a commission/cost-free trade, but 176% still isn't 200%.

+176% today closed @ #49.20 2015-02-27:2100

Not a great example though, ideal scenario would be 3 & 6 mth split targets, super leveraged towards x10, but also with stop loss safety points maybe around 44.

Last one for this month: 30e @ Cricket World Cup: India x7{ew} = PE 150e.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

This guy used an insane get-rich-quick scheme to become a start-up millionaire in three weeks

fusion.net/story/54990/guy-got-rich-using-jet/

polygon.com/2015/2/25/8102751/exploding-kittens-kickstarter-rich

• Registered Users Posts: 19 DamienKelly

Op - If your looking to make an extra €100 a week with very little investment do something like window cleaning. Start in your area and each weekend go to a different area and then few weeks go back to the start and do it again. Another idea for very little investment would be washing cars all you do is knock on doors offering to wash peoples cars. Gardening, Grass cutting.

Gather up everything you have around the home that you no longer use, go to your nearest market / car boot sale thats got a good crowd, buy a space and sell your stuff. The money you make at the market you can reinvest to purchase stuff online / bulk / job lots and sell them on at the markets.

Just remember no matter what you do all businesses require a lot of hard work especially starting off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

Dean0088 wrote: »
    Of course it was - I was a student trying to get a side business up and running. That thread I created (over a year ago now) was littered with comments of how well I took criticism. I've never been accused of being a sensitive individual - that I can tell you.

The simple fact is that repeatedly posting unhelpful, snide remarks on "How can I get rich??!!" thread does two things:

1. Keeps them on the front page, pushing down decent, helpful discussions and showing new visitors that these kind of threads are entertained.

2. Sets a terrible tone for this forum. Online places are now different to real world places - if they're full of mean people, punters head elsewhere.

You may view me and other young posters here as mere useless kids. That's fine. But I've helped several Irish business in ways the 'older crowd' simply cannot. And in return they've helped me.

It is possible for help and learning to go two ways. I've had older entrepreneurs help me too : the key difference is that they actually remember when they were starting up on Day Zero in their twenties with no money, no family business to step into, no entrepreneurs to mentor them and a road full of mistakes ahead.

If you don't want to partake in a little creative challenge then don't. Some people would like to A/B test a site or trail a product.

Head to another thread and help in whatever way you can there.

and your point is?
    if you want a creative challenge, take your own advice.. take it elsewhere. Old guys have nothing to prove, just some good stuff to share. Seems like there are too many people around here who are looking for easy solutions, old guys know that they dont exist, so grow up!

neckedit wrote: »
    I have both, set up a business and folded the same, and I can assure you I know the trappings and joys of both. While this is a Business forum, it is also a forum where people can use the users as a sound board and a possible place to get new Ideas and opinions. While I agree criticism is vital in needs to be contstructie and not just a passive aggressive statement trying to show how learned or experienced you are. You may learn a little by giving a little. As for being sensitive........ Brilliant..

You are definitely in the wrong space pet. You dont care what we say as long as we dont hurt your delicate sensibilities. Wake up..grow up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Nobody will get rich trying to turn €1 into €2.

A topic headed ‘Turn €1 into €2’ in an Ent & Bus. Mgmt. forum is an insult to intelligence and this Forum, as are idiots discussing investing in ‘Brent’ without the first notion of what the oil futures market is about. It is on par with the waffle about Atlantic Resources, a dog of a company that was built on hype and rumour fed to the market and lost millions for all but a few of Tony’s cronies.

I suggest all you ’Turn €1 into €2’ geniuses take it to "After Hours" or go off and visit my dear good friend Dr. Simpson Oberje Wonka in the Central Bank of Nigeria – he has found millions of stashed dollars he’d like to share with people like you (only a small fee involved!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A topic headed ‘Turn €1 into €2’ in an Ent & Bus. Mgmt. forum is an insult to intelligence and this Forum, as are idiots discussing investing in ‘Brent’ without the first notion of what the oil futures market is about. It is on par with the waffle about Atlantic Resources, a dog of a company that was built on hype and rumour fed to the market and lost millions for all but a few of Tony’s cronies.

I suggest all you ’Turn €1 into €2’ geniuses take it to "After Hours" or go off and visit my dear good friend Dr. Simpson Oberje Wonka in the Central Bank of Nigeria – he has found millions of stashed dollars he’d like to share with people like you (only a small fee involved!)

Anyway my point was not seeing the chance when I did (AR was the talk of the town down here in Waterford as we all thought we'd be Aberdeen Mk 2!) it was just an observation that's all.

You and the other pedro would do well to wind your necks in a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Now who's being sensitive? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

pedronomix and pedroeibar1 can you please both loose the attitude. This isn't After Hours and your comments are not helpful.

Play nice or you'll be taking a break from here

Any further uncivil posts by anyone will result in the thread being shut and the posters banned. And I am not interested in who started it

Christ almighty.

So in summary, this forum is destined to be a place for the old guard with "nothing to prove" to congregate and put down younger, less experienced members for, apparently, no reason whatsoever, other than to fulfill their own entitled need for respect and stature.

And the "good stuff to share" seems to mainly be answering questions about registering for VAT or sourcing cheap injection moulding materials.

Business and entrepreneurship has changed a lot in even the last ten years. Many people seeking to set up a side gig aren't at a time or place in their lives where they want to (or could) head up a massive operation. They'd like to scratch an entrepreneurial itch by running a small online store or exploit a niche market. You can learn a lot by doing these little projects. I know I have. I certainly learned a lot more from them than reading jaded, sour comments from grumbling old business men with all the time in the world to dominate this forum. And it's damned more impressive on a CV than what most people have if you never manage to break away from the 9-5 life entirely.

I guess my advise to the OP would be to find an interesting niche, set up a small project and get working. And reinvest every cent of the profits. Finally, try to frequent US based forums where you're less likely to be shot down for merely raising your hand to ask a question.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

pedronomix wrote: »
    You are definitely in the wrong space pet. You dont care what we say as long as we dont hurt your delicate sensibilities. Wake up..grow up!

Mod Note

Consider this your final warning 'pet'...

You have been warned multiple times before about your manner towards others on here. I dont care about your age, or your experience or what others think you do or don't bring to the forum. Constructive criticism is one thing, coming on to give a 'reality check' or 'berating/ridiculing daft ideas' for your own kicks is another.

It would be better if you have nothing to say but to ridicule someone or their ideas that you just avoid commenting on that thread. If their idea is ridiculous let them figure it out for themselves or learn the hard way..the experience will do them good and stand to them better in the long run than you coming on posting condescending smart comments.

Dont bother sending me a pm or responding with your thoughts on the matter, its not up for discussion enough warnings have been given and enough leeway given. If it keeps up the next ban will be a permanent one.

Mod Note:

I suggest you read the post above and consider yourself not far behind. Enough of the nonsense from both of you.

End of - discussion back on track please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

My only tip is to do something you know and something you enjoy...

I was working in a industry that I really enjoyed for 5 years, so when I lost that job I had to think long and hard about what to do next so I decided to start my own business in the industry that I was employed in ( I knew it and liked it so why not )

Plus points : Loving the experience and sales of over 24k in 6 months
    Negative points: Working twice as hard and not knowing if at the end of the week will I have anything to show for it

My 7 cents:

I can see the points of Siskel and Ebert, and have no problem reading through their cutting sarcasm, more often then not they are right. Students and people starting out dont get their tough uncompromising style of advice, but they should take it on board and not get upset and complain about a bad tone. Its tough love. Draw positives out of perceived negatives whenever you can.

In the serious world of business this 'bad tone' or aggressiveness in my opinion can only help serious entrepreneurs and make 'men out of you'. That might seem condescending in some ways but the the perils Ive been through in my business career, the two Pedro's seem like pussycats. Maybe thats just my experience. As an entrepreneur one should be able to handle stick, sarcasm and quick wit in their stride and not even blink at it, respond in kind instead of getting wishy washy about things. If it gets too much two words are enough, but demanding constructive criticism when many opening posts also deserve two word responses is just being soft and a little sad to be honest. Lets not pretend there hasn't been loads and loads of really crappy OP's asking for their arse to be wiped as Bandara kindly put it the other day :pac:

The softly softly approach of everything being wonderful, and starting 20 euro competitions is great if your a student, and you have loads of time on your hands, but those hours would probably be spent starting a real business and being serious with your time. Turning 1 euro into 2 euro and having online competitions for buttons, is in my opinion after hours too, or maybe a Junior business forum for kids in school starting out. Im not being sarcastic there either. I started a school shop in 6th class of primary school, partnering with the guy who sat beside me who's dad had a cash and carry card. I made about 5 pounds a week in profit. I was 12 years old, yet we have an OP by their own admission experienced in business, working full time asking about turning 1 euro into 2 euro. This is a class project OP, no offence. I would give yourself a slap in the face, and look for real inspiration to start your next project.

The spirit of entrepreneurship is not asking people what business you should set up, if your an entrepreneur you've already done that, the ideas process is the most exciting part, thinking of your own idea, getting passionate about it, and putting the the time to bring it to fruition. They run competitions like the title of this post in schools to create an entrepreneurial mentality, and sow the seeds of people who will become business people and create businesses.

I realise the mods have a job to do to maintain decorum, they have no choice in that - the 2 men in question push to the limit at times, but without them we'll just have more lazy students asking what the website address for google.com is, and we'll have lots of people answering them nicely nicely as if its worth the text and time to do so. We'll have a super happy fun room instead.
    I would prefer to continue as is and just allow the bi monthly complaints about the pedro's sarcasm to pass on through as usual.

If they do get banned which is only a matter of time really the way its going, we can kiss goodbye to a serious business forum. Apologies mods for continuing this debate but resistance was futile :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ Good post!

Credit where credit's due.

Pardons for the Pedros please! :)

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, very incisive post the El Rifle. It is very hard to know what to do, when you get a slap for comparing gambling on shares and oil futures to horse race betting... I am lost I fear. Yet ageist abuse gets the boy a pat on the head (#26)
    I am a "Just give me the baby not the labour pains" type of guy and will probably never change.
    Axwell you were in no danger of getting a PM from me, futile exercise. A bit like the revised charter etc

I would be delighted for any direction to more functional business forums.

Pedro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Thanks to those who have posted supportive comments; appreciated but unnecessary. As the other Pedro says it is down to a poor Charter, and unclarity about rubbish being posted.

The underlying issue IMO is a straightforward business proposition. Boards.ie has a business to run, based on numbers, so there is a need to drive traffic. That requires interesting posts/posters and order in the “boardroom”. It gets complicated when trying to balance post views/numbers with quality, particularly when that room turns into a playpen and posted dross is permitted to remain simply because it drives up traffic, and allows higher volume numbers to be used when billing. This thread is substantially bigger than most others, on six pages, mainly rubbish posts and just below 5k views, so there is your answer.

Personally I think a bad charter is the cause, allowing stupid topics (e.g. another 'new' thread on importing from China) no clue Junior Cert matters (e.g. difference between sole trader/limited company), and posters far too lazy to use Google or - wonder of wonders - the forum “Search” function. As Guests at the party the choice is ours, and like being at any party we can converse or stay quiet, and if the overall ambiance becomes too boring or childish we just leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Hi Pedronomix and Pedroeibar1

This is a forum for the great unwashed. It is a forum where anyone who is in business can ask a question and get an answer. This is without fear of being insulted, laughed at, etc by anyone.

These people may not be a clever as you. Perhaps they are the only people they know that ever wanted to start a business. There are clearly some "homework" threads on here. But there are also people who are genuinely asking for advice. They just dont know where to look. Or if they do, they do not understand what they are reading. As I said, we cant all be clever and know alls.

No-one is saying that you can't give hard advice or you have to sugar coat things. That is part and parcel of being in business and you do need have a thick skin at times. But there is a line that should not be crossed. Otherwise we will just have a forum populated by a bunch of "I know more then you" type people who just shout and row with each other all day long. Nobody wants that.

Thats the forum. It is what it is. If you dont like it or it is too boring etc you are free to post somewhere else. If you believe that a thread is not to your liking or up to the standard you have set then you dont have to post at all.

I for one am not stopping you. Almost all my time moderating this forum is spent as a result of something one of you have posted. And it may interest you to know that I also have a business to run that requires my time.

So guys, you are welcome to post on the forum. But if you dont stop disrupting it we will have no choice but to show you both the door with permanent bans.

Its not something we really want to do gladly but it has come to the stage now where it is the only real option remaining.

dbran

It is interesting to note that the more experienced business people on here, those that proffer quality advice, rarely end up in any kind of spat with each other. It is a fact of life that some are more knowledgeable and experienced than others and dare I say it, actually know what they are talking about. You seem to suggest that all opinions/advice should be treated with equal esteem, this is simply bizarre.

Add in the "laughing" ban and I am reminded of the old song http://www.metrolyrics.com/theyre-coming-to-take-me-away-lyrics-lard.html.

OP - what area do you have have experience in?

Are you thinking of setting up an online presence or would you prefer a 'real world' operation?

Do you have any applicable skills? Even those at amateur level. Basic design and web hosting knowledge can go a long way in the early stages.

Would you prefer to be an eBay seller, run your own site or open an actual bricks and mortar store?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

Lets not pretend there hasn't been loads and loads of really crappy OP's asking for their arse to be wiped as Bandara kindly put it the other day :pac:

That was me thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

If you want to make a few quid quickly as in actual cash, it would be have to be something service based - delivery guy, Cleaner, Barman, Kids DJ, entertainer, garden clearing

It's working arbitrary jobs when your entrepreneurial spirit and mindset kicks in and you find something wrong or to improve in that industry and you can go from there.

Cottage or ebay businesses take time and dedication..with no guarantee of any success. If its hard cash, I'd get a part-time job, guy i know delivers booze to parties on Fridays and Saturdays up to 10pm and make 120-150 a day

Buttercake wrote: »
    If you want to make a few quid quickly as in actual cash, it would be have to be something service based - delivery guy, Cleaner, Barman, Kids DJ, entertainer, garden clearing

It's working arbitrary jobs when your entrepreneurial spirit and mindset kicks in and you find something wrong or to improve in that industry and you can go from there.

Cottage or ebay businesses take time and dedication..with no guarantee of any success. If its hard cash, I'd get a part-time job, guy i know delivers booze to parties on Fridays and Saturdays up to 10pm and make 120-150 a day

Can be true if you get the right area - but the upcoming alcohol licencing changes (recent report published I think) will be putting a stop to Booze on Wheels operations. Knew a guy who was gearing up to launch a full scale business around the idea. A shame, really.

The first proper entrepreneur I met was an Irish chap working in a huge engineering factory in Birmingham circa 1971. Each week he sold 150 tickets at a quid each in a raffle for his pay packet of £100, he went home with an extra £50 in his pocket every week, you had to be quick to get one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

pedronomix wrote: »
    The first proper entrepreneur I met was an Irish chap working in a huge engineering factory in Birmingham circa 1971. Each week he sold 150 tickets at a quid each in a raffle for his pay packet of £100, he went home with an extra £50 in his pocket every week, you had to be quick to get one!

That sounds familiar, Did Richard Branson do something similar?

Advertisement