Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Program To Record Your Screen?

Options
  • 25-02-2015 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the correct section but hopefully somebody may be able to help.

I'm looking for a program that will record my computer screen in a tutorial-esq type of way, including my cursor movements and clicks. Was also hoping it would record audio input.

I've had a look at some free options but most have restrictions such as no audio, file output restrictions etc.

Would appreciate any suggestions!

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

I used a few free offerings and one or two trials, Camtasia was the best of those that I tried. Not the cheapest option unfortunately but the only one that could keep up frame rates in processor and memory intensive tasks while preserving colour and quality. Tried Fraps but it looked bad in comparison to Camtasia. http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

jing is a great free tool, have used it and find it great.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Paul.k.b.90

OBS can be used to record your screen..will also record sound if you have mic set up. good quality on basic settings which u can always tweek and doesnt cause too much stress on your computers performance

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

RossieMan wrote: »
    jing is a great free tool, have used it and find it great.

Started using this today after trying and failing with CamStudio (it recorded it all arseways, the end was at the beginning with other bits all over the place :confused:), then I tried OBS, but I couldn't figure it out in the 2 minutes I was checking out the program, tried jing and it seemed perfect, until I realised that I can't upload the videos direct to youtube ;(

Has anyone got a quick and easy solution?

http://www.office-converter.com/SWF-to-YouTube looked good but it kept spitting back errors on the conversions!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

VLC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

ZOMBIETHREAD!

Anyways, I've been using Screencast-o-matic which suits my needs. Free version has a watermark at the bottom left, but sure I don't mind that.

https://screencast-o-matic.com/screen_recorder

(Has an upload to youtube option on it).

Thanks a lot. Used sceencast-o-matic in the end. Very simple and straight forward and not needing to install is even handier too!

I use Media Player Classic, but might consider switching to VLC to get this feature too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

cormie wrote: »
    Thanks a lot. Used this in the end. Very simple and straight forward and not needing to install is even handier too!

Saw mention that VLC can do it too, I use Media Player Classic, but might consider switching to VLC to get this feature too :)

No worries. Glad you got sorted.

I'd use VLC for running pretty much everything audio/video.

Here's how to use it to record your screen (just in case). http://www.howtogeek.com/120202/how-to-record-your-desktop-to-a-file-or-stream-it-over-the-internet-with-vlc/

Thanks again! I used VLC before, but this was years ago and I ended up sticking with Media Player Classic, I forget why though, maybe it was just a lot simpler and maybe compatible with more codecs and the likes, but I can't remember at all :)

@echo OFF
    cd "c:\Program Files <x86>\VideoLAN\VLC\"
    start /min vlc.exe screen:// --screen-fps=30 :sout=#transcode{vcodec=h264,vb=0,scale=0}:file{dst="C:\Users\your_user_name_here\Desktop\video.mp4"} :sout-keep :screen-mouse-image=C:\desktop_recording\cursor.png"

Get some nice cursor image, save it to C:\desktop_recording\cursor.png (it's a workaround for windows problem with capturing cursor), save to above as record_desktop.bat, job done. I use it for quite a while and it's good, however not as good as gnome screen recorder on linux :D

• Advertisement

cormie wrote: »
    Thanks again! I used VLC before, but this was years ago and I ended up sticking with Media Player Classic, I forget why though, maybe it was just a lot simpler and maybe compatible with more codecs and the likes, but I can't remember at all :)

I hardly belive that there is anything compatible with more codecs than VLC :D

PrzemoF wrote: »
    @echo OFF
    cd "c:\Program Files <x86>\VideoLAN\VLC\"
    start /min vlc.exe screen:// --screen-fps=30 :sout=#transcode{vcodec=h264,vb=0,scale=0}:file{dst="C:\Users\your_user_name_here\Desktop\video.mp4"} :sout-keep :screen-mouse-image=C:\desktop_recording\cursor.png"

Get some nice cursor image, save it to C:\desktop_recording\cursor.png (it's a workaround for windows problem with capturing cursor), save to above as record_desktop.bat, job done. I use it for quite a while and it's good, however not as good as gnome screen recorder on linux :D

This kinda stuff confuses me :D What do I do with that code? What happens if I don't do it? Can I still record, but just the cursor won't be visible?

You can start recording with no code from VLC, but with that script it's one-click-to-start-recording. Yes, that cursor file is required to see where the cursor is, but the script should work without it as well.

1. Open notepad
    2. Copy and paste the code
    3. Save file as record_desktop.bat (file extension is important, windows will try to use txt, but that's no good for us)
    4. Run the record_desktop.bat <-- it should create video.mp4 on your desktop

Thanks a lot for that!

Advertisement