Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cream Of Chicken Soup Recipe Wanted!

Options
  • 25-02-2015 3:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have or know of a really good one?

Tried one last week from a cooking site but i found it lacking somehow.

Advice appreciated!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Can you post the recipe that you tried? There may be something missing - proper seasoning, for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Can you post the recipe that you tried? There may be something missing - proper seasoning, for example.

No bother
    Ingredients

2 tablespoons butter
    2 onions, diced
    2 potatoes, diced
    1 large carrot, diced
    1 celery stick, diced
    2 tablespoons plain flour
    750ml chicken stock
    150ml milk
    175g cooked chicken
    single cream, to taste
    Salt and ground black pepper, to taste

Method

Melt the butter in a large pan and cook the onions, potatoes, carrots and celery gently for about 5-10 minutes or until softened. Do not allow the vegetables to brown.
    Sprinkle over the flour, and cook over low heat for a few minutes, stirring all the time. Gradually pour in the stock and the milk, stirring every few minutes and allow to come to the boil.
    Turn down the heat; add the cooked chicken and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
    Pour the soup into a food processor or blender in batches and puree until smooth. Transfer back into the soup pot, add as much cream as you like and season with salt and pepper.

I seasoned it plenty anyway, i was just expecting more flavour. I think I would leave out the carrot next time anyway as i don't think it's necessary in that particular soup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I'd keep the carrots in, but add fresh thyme or maybe tarragon or sage.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

In addition to Mrs Fox's advice - a couple of bay leaves would also help, but remember to remove them before blending.

Also, you could try making the stock a bit stronger to add more flavour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Will try those suggestions! (not sage though, don't like it!)

Cheers, i'll let you know how i got on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Ya, you are really relying on the stock if you are using cooked chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I second the last poster:
    What's missing here is the actual flavour of chicken!
    If you had started by poaching or simmering a bit of chicken on the bone: you could then cut off the good meat and chop it finely, and let the broth cool: skim it:
    Then make your soup as above, using the chicken broth and milk as the liquid. I would season with a little fresh tarragon or chervil, if available - they suit the delicate flavour and texture.
    Add the chopped chicken meat, and finish with a 100ml of cream and a nut of butter. Heat and serve.

Advertisement