Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

legal advice needed when getting internet accounts deleted from websites

Options
  • 25-02-2015 3:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi i am not sure if i am on the right thread to post this but i am looking for advice on getting internet sites accounts deleted . Can anyone tell me do i have any legal rights to get accounts i signed up for online deleted ?? the reason i ask is mainly because I've emailed komplette along with a few other companies that i have accounts with which i no longer want asking them to help me delete my account and they don't seem to have any procedure on deleting accounts for customers .

would love some expert legal advice or help from people who may have have similar experiences

thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

They can likely close the account by not allowing you access to it anymore, but not actually delete the account.

Deleting an account would suggest deleting all data that relates to it, if for example you look at boards.ie there is no delete option as to s would have a very negative impact on the site and how it operates.

In other cases, company's may be required by law to retain data for x number of years.

The data protection commissioner is best placed to advise you your rights on this,

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

A lot of modern ERP systems don't allow data to be deleted. Instead, access would be end-dated. This is to maintain an audit trail and traceability.

As you're looking for legal input, I'm going to move this to the Legal Discussion forum. Please be advised that the rules of the Legal Discussion forum now apply.

dudara

Advertisement