Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 AFL Season Discussion

• 25-02-2015 9:14am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭

NAB Cup just about to start, so here is your thread for the season ahead.

I'll keep the TV schedule update on that thread separate to this one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Yay! Bloody off-season way too long.

Heading to Whitten Oval on Saturday to see Tiges v Dogs. The one thing I really like about pre-season games is getting to visit all the old suburban grounds (with good crowds). Gives you a sense of what footy was like before everything was moved to 'G and Etihad.

Would love to see a couple of suburban grounds upgraded and used for games with smaller crowds in H&A season. Doubt it'll ever happen though..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

@ jackbhoy

It would make for a very good atmosphere at those grounds. A lot of the games at the MCG and the Ethiad have little to no atmosphere.
    Haven't been following since the end of season. Hanley is out for a while I believe. Any word on the other Irish lads?
    Any new team likely to make a push this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Any new team likely to make a push this year?

For the flag, I reckon its still the same teams from the last couple of years, Hawks, Swans, Freo. Port and North are the two that could challenge this year.

If Port can get through the season without key injuries they will go far again. They looked vulnerable when a couple of key players were injured for a few weeks last year.

If North can become more consistent and learn how to win close games, they can beat anyone. But that is easier said than done with Brad Scott as coach. He needs to go for North to take the next step IMO.

Fremantle, well they are all "training the house down'. :pac: . We don't have any key injuries coming into the season which is a good start, Pav, Sandilands and McPharlin are a year older, but are in ripping form apparently. McPharlin putting in personal bests in the clubs time trials. Who knows, we could bounce back from last years disappointing finals exit :(

Swans, the trading ban will hurt them. I really don't know enough about them to comment really. I just know they won't dramatically fall down the ladder.

Hawks, could a 3-peat be on the cards? haven't lost much, Sewell is all I think. And got Frawley in.

Gold Coast and Brisbane could be the two that break into finals this year.

Just my 2c.

Looking forward to the season, been a long summer, I've even resorted to watching cricket :eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

jackbhoy wrote: »
    Yay! Bloody off-season way too long.

Heading to Whitten Oval on Saturday to see Tiges v Dogs. The one thing I really like about pre-season games is getting to visit all the old suburban grounds (with good crowds). Gives you a sense of what footy was like before everything was moved to 'G and Etihad.

Would love to see a couple of suburban grounds upgraded and used for games with smaller crowds in H&A season. Doubt it'll ever happen though..

yeah some of the grounds around Melbourne looked class back in the 80s. Its mad seeing old youtube footage of them, and what now remains in their place when you see them now on google maps. Waverly Park where Hawthorn now train has some great history, and is probably my pick of the old grounds gone by the wayside. Record crowds of 78,000, and now only holds 2,000 and is surrounded by apartments following the oval shape. https://www.google.com/maps/@-37.9255814,145.1880694,603m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

I dont know if there are any books on old AFL grounds, but I love reading the history of them. Spent ages before looking at youtube videos of old games and news clippings and wiki of the likes of Glenferrie Oval, Brunswick, Punt Road, Moorabbin, Junction oval and much more.

Going through the above is really whetting my appetite now for the season! At least I had the NFL to keep me going over winter so took my attention away from a lack of AFL and GAA!

found a book actually after posting that:

http://melbourne-sports-books.myshopify.com/collections/afl-1/products/football-grounds-of-melbourne

and lots of decent books there too! May make a purchase or 2 I'd say. Reminded me I got the Micky O biography for Christmas that I must get around to reading too.

• Advertisement

bruschi wrote: »
    yeah some of the grounds around Melbourne looked class back in the 80s. Its mad seeing old youtube footage of them, and what now remains in their place when you see them now on google maps. Waverly Park where Hawthorn now train has some great history, and is probably my pick of the old grounds gone by the wayside. Record crowds of 78,000, and now only holds 2,000 and is surrounded by apartments following the oval shape. https://www.google.com/maps/@-37.9255814,145.1880694,603m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

I dont know if there are any books on old AFL grounds, but I love reading the history of them. Spent ages before looking at youtube videos of old games and news clippings and wiki of the likes of Glenferrie Oval, Brunswick, Punt Road, Moorabbin, Junction oval and much more.

Going through the above is really whetting my appetite now for the season! At least I had the NFL to keep me going over winter so took my attention away from a lack of AFL and GAA!

Yeah, Waverly looked awesome back in day. Went out there while ago with Hawks supporting mate, pretty much been over run by housing now.

When you watch the DVDs (or YouTube) of Sensational 70s, Electrifying 80s etc you get a real feel for atmosphere.

Yeah, Waverly looked awesome back in day. Went out there while ago with Hawks supporting mate, pretty much been over run by housing now.

When you watch the DVDs (or YouTube) of Sensational 70s, Electrifying 80s etc you get a real feel for atmosphere.

yeah I bought a boxset the last time I was over there http://www.theaflstore.com.au/leisure-outdoor/entertainment/four-decades-of-fantastic-football.html
    but still havent got through it all. May just send the wife and kids away for a weekend and catch up on all the sport saved up on DVDs and on sky+.

As for the NAB cup, Eagles have a pretty strong squad out for it and they should beat Carlton easily enough if they are in any shape at all. Interesting to see how they fare this year without Cox and NicNat being the lead ruckman and Lycett being the rotation guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭seipeal1

Mackman wrote: »
    For the flag, I reckon its still the same teams from the last couple of years, Hawks, Swans, Freo. Port and North are the two that could challenge this year.

If Port can get through the season without key injuries they will go far again. They looked vulnerable when a couple of key players were injured for a few weeks last year.

If North can become more consistent and learn how to win close games, they can beat anyone. But that is easier said than done with Brad Scott as coach. He needs to go for North to take the next step IMO.

Fremantle, well they are all "training the house down'. :pac: . We don't have any key injuries coming into the season which is a good start, Pav, Sandilands and McPharlin are a year older, but are in ripping form apparently. McPharlin putting in personal bests in the clubs time trials. Who knows, we could bounce back from last years disappointing finals exit :(

Swans, the trading ban will hurt them. I really don't know enough about them to comment really. I just know they won't dramatically fall down the ladder.

Hawks, could a 3-peat be on the cards? haven't lost much, Sewell is all I think. And got Frawley in.

Gold Coast and Brisbane could be the two that break into finals this year.

Just my 2c.

Looking forward to the season, been a long summer, I've even resorted to watching cricket :eek:

Agree with most of your comments. However, if Brisbane make the 8 this year, I will gladly pour salt and pepper on my Crows baseball cap and eat it. No hope, at all, especially with Hanley out for so long.
    I think Adelaide and Collingwood will make the 8, Essendon will continue to be a basket case, Port will come close, so will Sydney but absolute class will again prevail. Hawthorne, what a team of champions. Pains me to say it, but they are very special and will prevail again to make them one of the best of all time. Gunston will take more steps towards being a superstar and the rest of them are just brilliant individually and especially as a team.hate them!!

North Melb seemed to be the coming team a couple of years ago. Think they turned over a few big teams last year but consistency was a problem. Any other teams that could emerge. Are the Gold Coast still overreliant on Ablett?

North Melb seemed to be the coming team a couple of years ago. Think they turned over a few big teams last year but consistency was a problem. Any other teams that could emerge. Are the Gold Coast still overreliant on Ablett?

you'd have to say, after their end of season drop off when he was out injured would suggest so, and more than I ever thought. They went a long time before winning a game without him in their side.

• Advertisement

Just to add to the discussion here before the seasons starts...

from watching AFL what things do you like/dislike about the sport.

From a rules point of view I don't like the way players can block opponents from tackling their teammate. I'd imagine for a GAA player switching codes it must be difficult to get used to it.
    I love the way a player can get a leg up to mark a ball. You get spectacular catches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

seipeal1 wrote: »
    Agree with most of your comments. However, if Brisbane make the 8 this year, I will gladly pour salt and pepper on my Crows baseball cap and eat it. No hope, at all, especially with Hanley out for so long.

The recruited Beams, Christensen, and Rich is back. Thats a pretty big boost for any midfield. They are still lacking at either end I admit, but i think they're midfield have a chance of scraping them into the 8.
    you'd have to say, after their end of season drop off when he was out injured would suggest so, and more than I ever thought. They went a long time before winning a game without him in their side.

You would have to wonder if it's more psychological than his physical presence. Especially with the youngsters, they play every week with the best player in the comp, when he's injured, is it like the scots without William Wallace?

Well, Eagles win easily enough, but lose Eric McKenzie to a knee injury that looks pretty serious and could be his season done already. Hopefully not, as he would be a massive blow to any chances they had of breaking back into the 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Loopylaa

Just to add to the discussion here before the seasons starts...

from watching AFL what things do you like/dislike about the sport.

From a rules point of view I don't like the way players can block opponents from tackling their teammate. I'd imagine for a GAA player switching codes it must be difficult to get used to it.
    I love the way a player can get a leg up to mark a ball. You get spectacular catches.

I love the way they can block, the skill you need to always have that 360 vision and the concentration you need to have when your on the field. The physical aspect of it is why I watch it, far better than soccer as its non stop action. After watching this I can't watch soccer anymore, it's just so slow in comparison

I see there is debate over the length of Afl games. Be interesting to see if any experimentation comes from that.

I see there is debate over the length of Afl games. Be interesting to see if any experimentation comes from that.

3 hours is to long, how they fix it, who knows!! Shorter games and a longer season would make me happy, they need to fix the draw first before they start mucking about with game lengths

Enjoyable trip to Whitten Oval. After a dreary day the sun broke and it was beautiful spot to watch first footy of new season.

Was not at all impressed by Doggies. Despite fact the radio commentators seemed to be impressed they only really beat a team of Richmond kids in last few mins with some lucky umpire calls and tiring Richmond defenders.

Bontompelli seems to have bulked up and played ok for Dogs. Macrae was standout for them and of the rookies Lin Jong looked like an interesting option for SC, if he gets picked. Boyd did well on debut. Minson was sh1thouse and Libba went off with what looked a bad ankle injury. Hopefully he is ok as he is one of my favorite players in comp and Dogs will have a huge hole in mf if he gets rubbed out for months.

Richmond were decent considering we had <10 of best 22 out there. Loving this mature rookie Kane Lambert. Ben Lennon was good as well. Fantastic to see Knights have a good game, excellent player who has had worst bloody luck with injuries for 5 years now. Also liked what I saw of Taylor Hunt. Smart player and experience will be very handy in defense this year.

Jeez it's good to come home on a Saturday evening and have a cold one after day at the footy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 huddler

Agree with others, Hawthorn are on for 3 in a row. In organisation and discipline, they are streets ahead of everyone else. There are a few teams who, at their best, can beat Hawthorn in a one-off in September - but as much as it pains me to say it, they are my confident tip at this early stage.

No injuries over pre-season, lost no-one who would be best 22 this year (perhaps Hallahan, but O'Rourke, Anderson, Woodward etc fill that small gap anyway). In fact, I think they have improvement in them, and have bolstered their stocks to cover positions for next year and beyond. Depressing.

Sydney have lost Malceski, but will be among the big hunters. Port will feel they missed a flag last year, and have added senior quality in Ryder. Freo possibly have another shot in them. North are possibly in the mix too, at a stretch. If Geelong can get Clarke and Hawkins playing their best together - they might be a smokey too.

After that it's daylight til the next batch in my opinion.

My own side Carlton won't trouble anyone. I have 10th as par for us this year. Finals would be a success. I just hope we get games into young players and a few start to break out.

Hawthorn
    Sydney
    Port
    North
    Freo
    Geelong
    Adelaide
    Richmond
    Gold Coast
    Carlton
    Brisbane
    Collingwood
    Melbourne
    West Coast
    GWS
    St Kilda
    Doggies
    Essendon

Premiers: Hawthorn
    Runner up: Port
    Spoon: Essendon (chuckle)
    Brownlow: Scott Pendlebury
    Rising Star: Angus Brayshaw
    Coleman: Taylor Walker

some interesting selections Huddler! wouldnt argue much with your top 8, but I'll give you a million euro (or dollars, whichever is your preferred currency ;)) if the bottom 8 finishes as you have them there! I cant see GWS, Melbourne or Brisbane finishing as high as you have them there, and I cant see Essendon, West Coast and arguably Collingwood finishing as low.

I havent realy had a chance to think myself about a prediction for the season, might wait til a few more NAB cup games are done and see how the rookies and new players are gelling in teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 huddler

Haha. Yeah, I'm not too confident myself :)

i've learned that there are always bizarre surprises on the ladder each year. It's easy to line them up in a way that looks most likely now - the bookies do that for is. But to have a stab at getting it right, you need to get a wee bit crazy.

Essendon bottom is predicated on mass suspensions. Sue I have no idea how that'll go, but I like seeing them down there - so away we go.

I reckon if you asked Doggies and WC fans a week ago who their two most important players for the year were, Liberatore and Mackenzie would have featured strongly. Doggies have lost Griffen, Cooney, Higgins and now Libber from their midfield. They'll struggle, and they're my second favourite team so I don't say that with glee. West Coast are inconsistent at best, losing Glass, Cox and Mackenzie, with rumours that Darling hasn't trained a minute of preseason...that's got to hurt.

I see improvement in GWS, Brisbane and Melbourne definitely. I don't really have them high.

Collingwood. Yeah, I think they'll miss again this year, but I'm possibly being harsh.

Carlton, I've quite possibly overestimated us at 10th. Really can't tell with us any more.

Just a bit of fun. :)

huddler wrote: »
    Haha. Yeah, I'm not too confident myself :)

i've learned that there are always bizarre surprises on the ladder each year. It's easy to line them up in a way that looks most likely now - the bookies do that for is. But to have a stab at getting it right, you need to get a wee bit crazy.

Essendon bottom is predicated on mass suspensions. Sue I have no idea how that'll go, but I like seeing them down there - so away we go.

I reckon if you asked Doggies and WC fans a week ago who their two most important players for the year were, Liberatore and Mackenzie would have featured strongly. Doggies have lost Griffen, Cooney, Higgins and now Libber from their midfield. They'll struggle, and they're my second favourite team so I don't say that with glee. West Coast are inconsistent at best, losing Glass, Cox and Mackenzie, with rumours that Darling hasn't trained a minute of preseason...that's got to hurt.

I see improvement in GWS, Brisbane and Melbourne definitely. I don't really have them high.

Collingwood. Yeah, I think they'll miss again this year, but I'm possibly being harsh.

Carlton, I've quite possibly overestimated us at 10th. Really can't tell with us any more.

Just a bit of fun. :)

yeah I think the doggies are in freefall alright. And I dont see St Kilda rising much either. It will be interesting to see if the Dees can do anything now with Roos after a full year under his belt, but I still think they are lacking too much quality.

WRT the Eagles, consistnecy is indeed the issue, but at the same time, I think the midfield is geting better, and some of the younger players are getting more experience. Emac is a massive, massive loss (as he took up Glass' retirement, but he was shot anyway) and I think they have enough cover at ruck to cope with Cox gone (as long as NicNat stays fit) but, as per usual, I expect them to have a better season than last. They have the talent to be higher than where they finished, and Simpson has had a year under his belt too, so I would expect an improvement on last year, not a regression.

be some craic if Essednon do have mass suspensions and finish last alright! I just cant see it though.

I went onto twitter there a while ago and saw an update form the Hawthorn/St Kilda game as being 99-9. I thought it was surely a mistake, but no, St Kilda really are that sh1te, even in the NAB cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

I went onto twitter there a while ago and saw an update form the Hawthorn/St Kilda game as being 99-9. I thought it was surely a mistake, but no, St Kilda really are that sh1te, even in the NAB cup.

You sure that wasn't a local Cricket update?? :p

This is what happens when the best team plays their strongest team and the worst team plays a group of kids. Gonna be a long year for the saints

You sure that wasn't a local Cricket update?? :p

Shane what about Mr Crowley, u gutted? Think freo will fail in top 4 quest without him

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

Loopylaa wrote: »
    Shane what about Mr Crowley, u gutted? Think freo will fail in top 4 quest without him

Ha! Meh, he'll be fine :eek: (or 'fined' ;))
    A touch of the "Ahmed Saad" about it though so we may not see him this year. Need to fast-track Alex Rance in!

Ha! Meh, he'll be fine :eek: (or 'fined' ;))
    A touch of the "Ahmed Saad" about it though so we may not see him this year. Need to fast-track Alex Rance in!

I dont know why he didnt retire though. He knew about this in September, so had the chance to leave when there was talk he might anyway. Good chance this would have been kept under wraps and he would walk off into the sunset untarnished.

Very foolish though to talk un prescribed medication, unknown to the team doctor right in the middle of the whole ASADA investigation. Really stupid to be honest.

Need to fast-track Alex Rance in!

Say what!? Keep your hands of Rancey!! :P

• Advertisement

Say what!? Keep your hands of Rancey!! :P

Is the latest not that's he is staying at punt road now?
    Seems nobody wants to go west

Advertisement