Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

E46 Airbag Recall

• 25-02-2015 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Did a search and can't find what I am looking for.

Fellow E46 owners in the UK are currently being contacted by dealers to arrange recalls for a faulty passenger airbag, which can potentially split upon deploying.

Has anybody here been contacted by BMW Ireland / Irish dealers regarding this?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

There is definitely a thread on here about it somewhere alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84513196

Looks like some BMW owners were contacted alright. Haven't heard much about it here tbh.

If you search for "takata" you will turn up a few threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

I was contacted and had the recall work carried out on my car last August or September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Thanks guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

If you haven't heard anything yet, phone BMW Ireland

There's a number supplied here: http://www.consumerhelp.ie/index.jsp?p=103&n=127&a=1218

If you give them the registration (or last 7 digits of chassis number if its an import), they'll verify it's required and pass you on to your local dealer to schedule the work.

Having just spoken to one service dept., the airbags are on backorder and it'll be a number of weeks before they get them in.

//edit: The reason BMW may not have contacted you (ie. the current owner) yet is because they may have outdated information. If you want to ensure BMW know you own the vehicle and can contact you about future recalls etc, go to BMW.ie, click on Aftersales and then "Register your BMW"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Huh, it turns out mine is affected by this recall too...I'll have to arrange for it to go in I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Same as that. I was inquiring about having some diagnostics done on my airbag system (light is staying on in the dash) and the lad told me that my chassis number was in the recall list and that if I wait until I'm called he'll do the airbag light at the same time so it won't cost me anything :D

Huh, it turns out mine is affected by this recall too...I'll have to arrange for it to go in I guess!

Almost all E46's are affected. The date range is May 1999 to Aug 2006, which is just shy of the entire production run.
    January 1998–February 2005 (Sedan), April 1999–November 2006 (Coupe), June 1999–July 2005 (Touring), December 1999–2007 (Cabriolet)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Almost all E46's are affected. The date range is May 1999 to Aug 2006, which is just shy of the entire production run.

Yeah true!

For some reason when I first heard of this I thought it was only e46 with a certain airbag installed and not the entire line!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Thanks for the help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭noelf

The replacement airbags are likely to be the same type as originally fitted using the same unstable propellent but its only in regions of high humidity that serious injuries and deaths have occurred ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

I wasn't contacted. Quick visit at Conlan's however and they scheduled me for airbag replacement.

noelf wrote: »
    The replacement airbags are likely to be the same type as originally fitted using the same unstable propellent but its only in regions of high humidity that serious injuries and deaths have occurred ..

It's not necessarily the propellant that's the issue.
    BMW is replacing the passenger airbags on 1.6 million 3 Series vehicles (pre-predecessor generation E46) produced between 05/1999 and 8/2006. Potential problems with gas generators that may rupture in vehicles produced by our competitors using similar systems from the same supplier have become evident in rare cases. BMW is not aware of a case involving a BMW vehicle. The replacement campaign is a voluntary precautionary measure that aims at minimising the risk of faulty airbag activation.
    According to the recall:

"In the event of a crash necessitating deployment of the passenger’s frontal air bag, the inflator could rupture with metal fragments striking and potentially seriously injuring the passenger seat occupant or other occupants.”

The repair:

BMW will replace the passenger side frontal air bag with an updated unit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

I got 2 or 3 letters from them about the recall.

Both bmw ireland and my local bmw dealer both wrote to me.

*BUMP*

Had my airbag replaced today - Free of charge. Reminder to all E46 owners to get your cars booked in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,561 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Hi guys,

Did a search and can't find what I am looking for.

Fellow E46 owners in the UK are currently being contacted by dealers to arrange recalls for a faulty passenger airbag, which can potentially split upon deploying.

Has anybody here been contacted by BMW Ireland / Irish dealers regarding this?

Cheers

Got a letter last week, But too late as the E46 is long gone.

Advertisement