Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network setup

Options
  • 25-02-2015 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hello,

I've got new broadband connection via Eircom.
    I've got a Zyxcel router.
    This is my wired/WIFI router/modem.
    I've got a iMac wired to the router.
    The router is also wired to a Airport extreme (at the other side of our house) this to make sure i have a strong wifi network

I've setup the router as my primary router and wifi network installed.

My question is:
    1. I like to have just the one network where i can share information.
    2. I also like to have just the one WIFI network so i do not have to sign in one network and when i more to the other side of the house have to sign into the other network.
    I know i can set the extreme in bridge mode. Will this however take over all settings from my Zyxcel WIFI router?
    And will i have to create a network in able to share hard disks?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Turn off DHCP in the second network device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

wortmann wrote: »
    Hello,

I've got new broadband connection via Eircom.
    I've got a Zyxcel router.
    This is my wired/WIFI router/modem.
    I've got a iMac wired to the router.
    The router is also wired to a Airport extreme (at the other side of our house) this to make sure i have a strong wifi network

I've setup the router as my primary router and wifi network installed.

My question is:
    1. I like to have just the one network where i can share information.
    2. I also like to have just the one WIFI network so i do not have to sign in one network and when i more to the other side of the house have to sign into the other network.
    I know i can set the extreme in bridge mode. Will this however take over all settings from my Zyxcel WIFI router?
    And will i have to create a network in able to share hard disks?

You need to stop your airport routing by turning it into a access point. I'm not familiar, it may have an access point mode, Google it. Then name both networks the same and set identical encryption type and key and your devices will roam

• Registered Users Posts: 13 wortmann

thanks mass debater. There is a bridging mode function on the extreme...

And what about the networking ability? Can i then also access any other computer that is shared on the network or does the bridging only apply to combine the two wireless network into one?

wortmann wrote: »
    thanks mass debater. There is a bridging mode function on the extreme...

And what about the networking ability? Can i then also access any other computer that is shared on the network or does the bridging only apply to combine the two wireless network into one?

Yes, see my link above. This leaves your original zyxel handling all routing and dhcp and turns your airport into a bridge. All your devices will be on the same subnet and able to talk to one another

• Advertisement
Advertisement