Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hibernia College Post Primary & Social Welfare

Options
  • 25-02-2015 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Although I have searched for threads like this I have got no clear answer. Everyones' situation is different so hopefully somebody might be able to clarify this for me.

I am starting in Hibernia in Mid March 2015. I have been working fulltime for the last 4 years. I wrote a letter of notice to my employer stating that I cannot meet the demands of full time work anymore because I now have to give a lot of time to my masters degree. I have made myself available for part time work but my employer reckons that they have no part time hours available to me.

This leaves me in the situation of paying almost €10,000 for college fees for term 1 and having very few hours if any at all. At present I will be able to suffice on €150 while doing my college course. My question is...if my employer was to let me go because of the lack of hours available to me would I be entitled to social welfare?

The point I am trying to make is that I am willing to work part time but my employer cannot give me part time therefore I have no job.

Any help and information would be great. Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Giggles90

Hi,

Im in the exact same position as you, have you found any information?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 heart_powerful

I went to social welfare office and told them my situation. They advised me that I wouldn't be entitled to job seekers because I am leaving a full time job. Even though I am no longer able to commit to full time work and at present have no part time work they still said I am not entitled. I think I will return to the social welfare office again except I am not going to tell them that I am going to college.
    In the mean time I have had one interview for a part time job and sent away another application. I'm definitely not going to work full time while trying to do this course.
    What programme are you doing?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Please make sure you are fully aware of the realistic employment prospects in teaching before spending so much money.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 heart_powerful

Money is already spent. I'd rather have this qualification and wait for a job rather than work in a minimum wage job for the rest of my life :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Giggles90

I'm doing the post primary!! can't wait to start..which coarse are you doing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

I went to social welfare office and told them my situation. They advised me that I wouldn't be entitled to job seekers because I am leaving a full time job. Even though I am no longer able to commit to full time work and at present have no part time work they still said I am not entitled. I think I will return to the social welfare office again except I am not going to tell them that I am going to college.
    In the mean time I have had one interview for a part time job and sent away another application. I'm definitely not going to work full time while trying to do this course.
    What programme are you doing?

You must be available for, and seeking full time work to be eligible for Jobseekers. It would be foolish not to disclose to DSP that you are doing this course, as the information is available to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lainey28

Hi I was just wondering were you able to get social welfare after?

Advertisement