Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diesel prices

Options
  • 25-02-2015 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

I'm wondering where's the cheapest place round dundalk for diesel. legit of course...:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bob2oo7

116.9 behind the Lisdoo on the Armagh Road?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭whereto now

bob2oo7 wrote: »
    116.9 behind the Lisdoo on the Armagh Road?
    I've heard of that place Bob but I'd be worried about the quality of the diesel as its so cheap... is it ok ??????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

I got diesel there last week, no problems yet..
    Was talking to a customs man and he said they had checked it out and everything was fine. That was 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bob2oo7

I've heard of that place Bob but I'd be worried about the quality of the diesel as its so cheap... is it ok ??????

I go there all the time. No issues

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

bob2oo7 wrote: »
    I go there all the time. No issues

Same here have gotten fuel there over the last 8 years or so and never had an issue. Don't get over that way as much now but if I was passing and needed fuel that's where I'd be heading.

I would assume the new Tesco SS on the other side of town would be fairly cheap also. Have filled up there a few times recently and I use the Applegreens on the M1 a good bit as they are as cheap as elsewhere and very handy if heading south.

Fuel prices are very changeable at the minute so it's hard to see who compares to who unless you are passing 2 SS on the same day but they are mostly in and around a cent or two of each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭whereto now

Thanks for the replies folks....:) Very helpful....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I wouldn't touch any station in Dundalk. Literally, ANY station.

MugMugs wrote: »

Bit of a sweeping statement there Mugs? Any particular reason why?

I can only go on my own experiences. I travel a LOT with work and can be driving a number of different vehicles. For example I filled up in either the Tesco or the Maxol on the Avenue Road last Friday (cant remember which this time) and arrived back to Dundalk on Sunday afternoon 1200kms later and filled up again on Monday before heading off again. I have yet to have an issue with a fill of diesel from Dundalk (or anywhere to be honest) and I have a modern hi pressure fuel rail system.

I do stick to garages I trust when it comes to unbranded outlets and brands I trust when on the road.

Again I'd wonder why you wouldn't trust ANY garage in Dundalk and where you get your diesel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

That's pushing things a bit, to say the least. Are you suggesting every station in Dundalk has dodgy fuel or that they are too expensive. If it's that you know all fuel is suspect you are certainly wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

cargo wrote: »
    .....I use the Applegreens on the M1 a good bit as they are as cheap as elsewhere and very handy if heading south.

The motorway services at Castlebellingham are almost always 2-3 cent per litre dearer than service stations in Drogheda for diesel.

• Advertisement

gipi wrote: »
    The motorway services at Castlebellingham are almost always 2-3 cent per litre dearer than service stations in Drogheda for diesel.

But they are usually the same as SS in Dundalk and I'm not going to divert into Drogheda for the few cent. A typical fill of 60 litres would cost me 1.20 or 1.80 but take me out of my way by a few minutes and I'm always late for things so time is money also.

I do notice the northern ones at Castlebellingham are usually about 2 cent cheaper than the more southerly ones at Lusk so I do fill up in this case at the cheaper ones!!

Bit of a sweeping statement there Mugs? Any particular reason why?
    And I travel in excess of 45,000 a year........ And I wouldn't touch any station within Dundalk.
    That's pushing things a bit, to say the least. Are you suggesting every station in Dundalk has dodgy fuel or that they are too expensive.
    That's fair enough. I won't and can't quote my source but I know for a fact that they're better informed than you. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

And I travel in excess of 45,000 a year........ And I wouldn't touch any station within Dundalk.
    That's fair enough. I won't and can't quote my source but I know for a fact that they're better informed than you. :)

I didn't ask for a source. I asked if you are saying here that every service station in the town of Dundalk has dodgy diesel? It's a simple question.

I didn't ask for a source. I asked if you are saying here that every service station in the town of Dundalk has dodgy diesel? It's a simple question.

And that's a question that would land me in trouble. We're not allowed make accusations against businesses on Boards.

We are however allowed state the Garages we wouldn't use and I've made my position quite clear with respect to that.

And that's a question that would land me in trouble. We're not allowed make accusations against businesses on Boards.

We are however allowed state the Garages we wouldn't use and I've made my position quite clear with respect to that.

But you have just confirmed that you believe EVERY garage in Dundalk to be dodgy.

You didn't answer as to where you do fill up? Where is the nearest SS to Dundalk you are allowed use (you say "we wouldn't use" so I guessing its some sort of company policy.

Not looking for a row here but I'm amazed that someone could say all SS in Dundalk are dodgy.

If you are correct then I might start using some of the "cheaper" SS that are almost certainly using dodgy fuel because you are telling me I'm already using it in the reputable SS around town and its not be causing me any harm. You might just be about to save me a load of €€€.

But you have just confirmed that you believe EVERY garage in Dundalk to be dodgy.

I am not trying to promote a consipiriacy theory here.

I've been told by a pretty sound source that it's not beyond the realms of possibility that filling up anywhere within Dundalk is a bad idea.

I fill up in Topaz on the N2 near Kilmoon cross personally.

I've found engine performance to be increased and my fuel filter to be in better condition when changing it since.

My opinion is my opinion. That's the great thing about having an opinion. It's yours to have. :)

I've been told by a pretty sound source that it's not beyond the realms of possibility that filling up anywhere within Dundalk is a bad idea.

I've found engine performance to be increased and my fuel filter to be in better condition when changing it since.

My opinion is my opinion. That's the great thing about having an opinion. It's yours to have. :)

Fair enough that your opinion. I was just wondering how definite your source was or if it was just their opinion also.

Topaz is generally regarded as a premium fuel by most people that care about these things but I never see any difference. I don't really get too bothered by fuel figures the one time I did work it out I was getting around 19 miles to the gallon with an empty jeep pulling nothing so I never checked again!!! That's my only issue with fuel generally, I cant get enough of it..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

normally buy petrol/diesel in Tenure stores , good quality fuel and he is always decent on price

whelan2 wrote: »
    normally buy petrol/diesel in Tenure stores , good quality fuel and he is always decent on price

Where abouts in Dundalk is that?

Where abouts in Dundalk is that?
    its not in dundalk but i like the security of knowing the fuel i am buying is ok

• Advertisement

its not in dundalk but i like the security of knowing the fuel i am buying is ok

Is it in Louth or Meath or somewhere near? Never heard of it but I might know it as a different name.

Edit
    Found it after a quick google. It's out near Monsterboice.

Actually I thought that area was called that area Tinure, is tenure the correct spelling for it?

Is it in Louth or Meath or somewhere near? Never heard of it but I might know it as a different name.

Edit
    Found it after a quick google. It's out near Monsterboice.

Actually I thought that area was called that area Tinure, is tenure the correct spelling for it?
    born and reared there and it was always spelt Tenure, when the estate agents/developers started selling houses here they changed the spelling to Tinure:mad:

born and reared there and it was always spelt Tenure, when the estate agents/developers started selling houses here they changed the spelling to Tinure:mad:

That's that Celtic Tiger for ya getting all posh!!! I just noticed google maps has both names over the area.

In my opinion I would never fill up on any forecourt along the N2. I've got a source that I won't reveal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Maxol Avenue Rd is my place to fill. Delivery lorry is forever there and my mechanic never has issues with filters. Only filled at EK fuels once last week and no problem yet.

Advertisement