Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone build an Eco House/Prefab/ Log House?

Options
  • 25-02-2015 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

This is my first post on boards so apologies if I'm taking liberties/posting in the wrong section. I was told this is the best spot for property questions hence why I'm here.

I was wondering if anyone has build a flatpack style home? If so what were your experiences? Myself and my spouse have been looking to buy a house for the last year, and with prices constantly rising we're getting a bit panicked. I came across a few sites (won't link coz I think that might be spammy) that offer Prefab houses, once of which comes in at 71k for the shell (no plumbing elecs etc) and is BER A rated. It looks a little too good to be true so I said I'd come on here and see if anyone has done this?

I've heard of a crowd in Galway that have quite an established reputation but other than that there's very little info.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Gill5432

Hi there

Just wondering if you have found any more info on this? Am also looking to do the same, who are the crowd in galway can you say? That's where im based.
    Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Can it meet current building regulations?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Gill5432 wrote: »
    Hi there

Just wondering if you have found any more info on this? Am also looking to do the same, who are the crowd in galway can you say? That's where im based.
    Thanks

There's a crowd in Moycullen:

http://www.scanhome.ie/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭malin182

Here is another website, although they have not been running for too long, 11 months according to Solocheck.

http://www.ecohouse.ie/

I am very interested in it as well, if there are no major downsides and with the cost...they seem to have taken off in mainland Europe, so I guess you would need to get some reviews from there to see if they are worth it long term.

I am from the Dublin area though so unless I moved out into a more rural area, I can't see myself having any space to even build one.

My concern would be how they hold up over time. They are made from wood essentially, and to be subject to Irish weather for several years....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Take a trip down to the ecovillage in cloughjordan and talk to some of the residents.

Www.thevillage.ie

• Advertisement
Advertisement