Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standing order

Options
  • 25-02-2015 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi
    l'm not a customer yet but before l decide to switchover, l just need to know can l set up a standing order with EL.
    l have it with my currant supplier and l find it easier to use it.
    If so, how do l do it

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi sweetsugar,

Thank you very much for your interest in Electric Ireland.

Standing order is a method of payment that would need to be organised via the customer's bank rather than the payee. In terms of information we can provide on payment methods: for customers who switch to Electric Ireland, direct debit is a requirement in order to avail of discounts (up to 15%).
    Customers of Electric Ireland for a minimum of three billing periods can avail of the Equaliser - a system whereby the same amount is collected by direct debit every month (based on previous usage - this is the reason for the three bills' requirement) subject to review/change. When the customer over-pays in relation to their usage, the credit is "banked" on their account to go towards future usage.

There is a list of payment methods on our website here.

Important points to note for direct debit customers: if a customer wishes to make payments into their Electric Ireland account between bills and they have direct debit set up with us, the payment method they choose for these interim payments should only be electronic (online banking or debit card).
    Also, the direct debit is presented to the bank for collection at least five working days before its payment due date, so it is essential that any interim payment be made prior to this 5+ days' window, as a payment made after the direct debit is presented for collection will not go towards the direct debit (it will remain on the customer's account to go towards a later bill).

The page for making the switch to Electric Ireland is here on our website.

Do let us know if you would like further information.

Kind regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭irishchris

Sorry to drag up am old thread but in same boat myself. Was going to switch over to electric Ireland but wish to carry on as I do presently with Airtricity by paying standing order weekly so as to have a large proportion of the bill paid in advance.am I right in understanding this may affect my 15% discount as you note above that interim payments can only be made online or by card? If so why? Surely you would prefer your customers to be in credit with you? Obviously the balance would then be taken by direct debit so don't understand if this is the case. Can you clarify please as this is a deal breaker for me

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭baktag

i'm not sure what Una is on about

I'm with EI for both Electricity and gas. I pay both by DD and receive the usual discounts.
    also I pay a weekly standing order towards the Electricity (€15) and also a standing order to the gas(€11)
    because of this I have always been in credit for both and the DD has never kicked in (Happy days)
    Your best bet is to ring them and they will give you a account number and sort code (BIK & IBAN nowadays ) when setting up you payments online with your bank you use your account number from electric Ireland as you reference number on the standing orders

see attached

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi irishchris,

Thanks for your interest in Electric Ireland.

Interim payments can be made onto an Electric Ireland account between direct debits without jeopardising discounts, provided that the payments are only made electronically. Direct debit discounts are offered on the basis of savings made via paperless payment means, being passed on to the customer.

Ensure also to make the final interim payment at least five working days in advance of the direct debit due date, in order to prevent paying twice (which would simply put your account in credit).

Further information on switching can be found here.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭irishchris

baktag wrote: »

I'm with EI for both Electricity and gas. I pay both by DD and receive the usual discounts.
    also I pay a weekly standing order towards the Electricity (€15) and also a standing order to the gas(€11)
    because of this I have always been in credit for both and the DD has never kicked in (Happy days)
    Your best bet is to ring them and they will give you a account number and sort code (BIK & IBAN nowadays ) when setting up you payments online with your bank you use your account number from electric Ireland as you reference number on the standing orders

see attached

If you don't mind me asking how soon after your standing order to electric Ireland for it show on your online billing webpage? Transferred 20€ yesterday to my account but not showed yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭baktag

irishchris wrote: »
    baktag wrote: »

see attached

If you don't mind me asking how soon after your standing order to electric Ireland for it show on your online billing webpage? Transferred 20€ yesterday to my account but not showed yet?
    just checked the account  looks like 3 working days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi irishchris,

Thanks for your message.
    irishchris wrote:
    how soon after your standing order to electric Ireland for it show on your online billing webpage?

As baktag mentioned above, after three working days a payment made by standing order would generally show on your account. However, the time the transfer takes can depend on your bank.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
    David

Advertisement