Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunhill Locals.

Options
  • 25-02-2015 7:47pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭

From Tripadvisor- can anyone help??
    WIfey's maiden name is Power, ancestry from somewhere in Co. Waterford.
    One of the sites she wants to visit this trip is the "Father Val Power Commemorative Bench" (The good Father was from Newfoundland, land of our birth) unveiled a couple of years ago in Dunhill. Text I've read tells me it's somewhere along the River Anne, but no other details as to location. Would anyone have a little more information to this piece of the Power family history?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There is a very nice walk along the Anne Valley now, it has been organised by the very enterprising Dunhill committee, and that has a few benches. I was there last sunday, lovely walk, I didn't particularly note a commemorative bench but we didn't walk the whole length - and I was too busy helping the grandchildren look for the fairy doors along the path!

Edit, I didn't see that info had already been posted on TA. (I think we have a Texan friend in common!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 deise69

If you're walking from the Dunhill village side of the Anne Valley, its around the half way point, 1Km in.(About 150m before the second gate).

Youtube = _sVpr7P1Gy4

If you look up the Power Clan Gathering 2013 Facebook page there are some pictures of it on there, 6th June 2013. There is another gathering planned for 2016, if you're interested.

There are a few more plaques etc on the walk and some around the castle where they planted a few trees. I'll take a few pics of it tomorrow, when I'm walking the dog and stick up a link for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The whole history of Dunhill Castle is worth checking out, the de Poers were the original Powers and it is an overwhelmingly common name in this part of the country. 'do you know a guy called Power, lives in Tramore' doh!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Speaking of Powers/de La Poers etc. I see Lord Waterford died, is he the last of the ones who was supposed to be cursed and did he did in "his own bed?"

Advertisement