Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current state of south-west Mayo beaches

Options
  • 25-02-2015 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

My girlfriend and I are planning a trip to South Mayo later in the year. I've always wanted to visit some of the beaches along the coast south of Louisburgh (Carrowniskey, White Strand, Silver Strand) but I understand these were severely damaged in the storms early last year. There are a couple of videos online showing the damage. Does anyone know if work has been carried out to restore these beaches to their original state or are they still strewn with rocks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Was down on white or silver strand recently and didn't notice anything different. Also it's still bitterly cold unfortunately :)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

White and silver strand were hardly affected. You won't notice the difference. They are fairly wild beaches anyway.
    Carrownisky, Cross, Carramore and Bertra were most affected mostly due to infrastructure there (parkings, changing rooms, showers, etc.)
    While it wasn't rebuilt to state before the storm, but all above beaches are fully accesaible and as beautiful as they were. Only difference you can notice now really will be lack of tarred surface on parkings. Its just compacted stones instead.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Berta took a hammering again during the week, to what extent, but was told that it was damaged again.

Advertisement