Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good routes around kildare town?

• 25-02-2015 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Would one head south towards nurney? Won't to avoid too many climbs while I get used to cycling again

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

Its a nice spin to Monasterevin. Its also a nice spin if you turn left off the Monasterevin Road towards Kildangan.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Schecter01

Yeah actually never thought of monasterevin, quite a smooth road actually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭nilhg

Out to the Curragh by Maddenstown, take any of the sideroads that run back to the road that comes back into the town by the Japaneese gardens.

Or out to the cross just before Nurney, turn right and straight into Monasterevin and home from there.

Or out the Monasterevin road, turn right at Cherryville cross, across by Ellistown and into Rathangan, home via Dunmurry Springs Golf course, this one is a bit hillier but not too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Some lovely roads around Kildangan & Nurney. They are also very sheltered, which helps when it;s windy. The Curragh area is good, but can be tough when the wind blows. The hillier parts near Kildare town are kind of to the North, towards Rathangan direction (Boston, Dunmurray, Rahilla etc), so keep away from there if you want flat roads.

Thanks guys great suggestions, may try the maddenstown route, or perhaps join the curragh towards athgarvan?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

The Kildare town based Headstrong Cycling Club have a leisure group that might be a good option for you while you're starting off again. You'll get to see routes that you mightn't have thought of and cycling in a group tends to take the mind off any aches and pains as you build up the distances.

https://www.facebook.com/headstrongcyclingclub

If you're nearer Suncroft there's a club that's based at Cut Bush village. They've got three groups for various abilities and currently start from the village shop at 10 a.m. on Sunday mornings

Great thanks for that! Will defo check them out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭nilhg

Schecter01 wrote: »
    Thanks guys great suggestions, may try the maddenstown route, or perhaps join the curragh towards athgarvan?

Just be careful of the roads around Athgarvan, easily the busiest on the curragh, surface not great and no hard shoulder, especially if you go past Athgarvan school heading towards Kilcullen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I used to cycle out to Pollardstown Fen before dawn to try and measure the morning methane release by reeds around the lake as the stomata opened (as you do). (Doing a M.Sc. at the time.)

I really enjoyed that, especially when there was a full moon. Deserted, moonlit roads with occasional long shadows, and then the fen scarfed in mist as the sun rose.

Anyway, not what you're looking for, I'm sure, but one of the more enjoyable cycles I've done.

(No comments about "methane release" please. I've heard them all.)

Advertisement