Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike Hire Alp d'Huez or transport option

• 25-02-2015 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

Any recommendations for somewhere to rent a good bike in Alp d'huez for the La Marmotte in July.

Also, shipmytribike were my original option of getting my bike there but they have either cancelled their transport for that date or else they are fully booked for that date. Any other similar companies that can do that sort of transport service?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

No option to bring your own on the plane? Assuming you are flying there.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

Raam wrote: »
    No option to bring your own on the plane? Assuming you are flying there.

Should have said I don't want to do the bike box thing. I don't want that stress or hassle and their are no guarantees you can book your bike on the plane going by some reports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I used to think the same but I honestly prefer to bring my own. If you book the bike at the same time as your flight then you are sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Cycle et Sport in Bourg d'Oisans rent decent bikes, pretty sure the other bike shops there do too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I toyed with bringing my own bike on the plane but the cost of a box and the partial dismantling put me off.

I have bike booked with www.cyclehuez.com for July coming. I think it's €170 for 5 days and they'll deliver it to Bourg d'Oisans for an extra 20. They responded to my enquiry almost immediately and all other communication was perfect - so far so good.

I'm not dong La Marmotte but I do plan on tackling L'Alpe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    Should have said I don't want to do the bike box thing. I don't want that stress or hassle and their are no guarantees you can book your bike on the plane going by some reports.

Bringing your bike on a flight is pretty straightforward, even Ryanair will allow you to bring one. Costs vary depending on where you're going, but it's not that expensive at all. It's incredibly unlikely that you would ever be refused permission to fly with your bike, just show up for your flight a bit earlier than usual. In terms of the actual bike box/case, if you don't want to buy something new and expensive, you have a couple of options: 1) rent one. There's a place in Rathmines I think which does this-don't recall the details, though I think someone on Boards suggested it to me. You could also buy one of a Boardsie for next to nothing (me for example-I have one which you could have for free-the zip is a bit dodgy, but I've flown with it a few times, no issues). I wouldn't dream of doing something like the Marmotte on a rental bike-you're training all year for a big event and then changing one of the most fundamental performance inputs at the last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

http://www.cyclehuez.com/rates-enquiries/

Think I will go with this crowd here! They are compact and have a 32 on the back which is what I was after. So it will save me having to change my bike to a 32 as well. Im renting a bike in tenerife here at easter time so I will find out how hard it is to adapt to a new bike then.

Advertisement