Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VB6 and SourceSafe licences

Options
  • 25-02-2015 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭

We're still supporting legacy VB6 code and are still using SourceSafe (I know, I know ..)

Turns out the Visual Studio 2010 licences we have may not have "downgrade rights" to cover VB6.

We don't have MSDN subscriptions.

Given that neither VB6 nor SourceSafe licences can be bought from Microsoft, what are people in a similar situation doing for licences ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

you don't need to stick to SourceSafe, switch to subversion or git.

As for VB6 It's only an issue if you need to purchase new licences but maybe it's time to rewrite...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭long_b

you don't need to stick to SourceSafe, switch to subversion or git.

As for VB6 It's only an issue if you need to purchase new licences but maybe it's time to rewrite...

We need new licences for VB6 alright. We're moving off VSS but it will take time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

If you have VB6 you must have purchased a license at some. Does that license expired ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭long_b

amen wrote: »
    If you have VB6 you must have purchased a license at some. Does that license expired ?

It doesn't expire but more than one person can use a physical disk I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 7,241 ✭✭✭Tow

long_b wrote: »
    but more than one person can use a physical disk I'm afraid

??

VB6 just uses a simple serial/number licence key. There is no expiry or checking number of machines it is already installed on etc.
    If you download a copy from MSDN it defaults to a generic licence number (same for everyone), so no need to enter your own. If you need to buy additional licences to keep the bean counters happy then eBay (or shell out for MSDN) would be your only choices. But, if your problem is with licences for 3rd party controls from a company which no longer exists, you maybe into a whole world of pain.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
Advertisement