Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSE Race Series 2015

Options
  • 25-02-2015 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭

Apologies if there is already a thread. I searched but couldn't find it though.

Anyway, just signed up to the series doing the 3 races and the half marathon.

The first of I'm sure loads of daft questions:

I am just wondering about the race pack. How big is it? Will it fit through the letter box? I am not at home by day so worried I'll have trouble getting it!?

Can anyone help?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

It's just an envelope with your numbers in there, you don't have to be home.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Thanks that's brilliant.

I know that was a silly question but wondered if it was a bulky package with copy of all the info details again that wouldn't fit through!

Have you signed up yourself?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

No, not yet, I'm not sure which ones I'll do, the 10 mile for sure I think.

They are all great races though, excellent value and very well organised.

Cool, I'm even happier with my decision now.

Yeah, it really is fantastic value. Glad to hear you say they are all run well.

I got all of that including the half marathon entry for 65euro. The Cork half marathon is almost that alone!
    I also find most of the other 10km events are anything from 20euro up each. So value wise, this is probably the best one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I've signed up for the Fingal 10k. I live right by the starting line so it would be silly not to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Pink11 wrote: »
    I am not at home by day so worried I'll have trouble getting it!? ?

you should sign up for Parcel Motel....it's brilliant.....especially for bulky packages or for shopping on Amazon.co.uk and places like that when they say they won't deliver to Ireland or charge you an arm and a leg to do so.

Thanks Laois man, I normally get stuff delivered to work but I put my home address thinking it would be fine, then after was thinking maybe it won't fit through the letter box.

For anyone else wondering about this series, they just announced this:

B_HgI-MWwAEWX_-.jpg

KJ maybe you'll do some more?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

Finisher medals this year for the Dublin Half Marathon - should boost entry numbers, especially given this race is already such good value compared to the Rock n'Roll Half Marathon the previous month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Finisher medals this year for the Dublin Half Marathon - should boost entry numbers, especially given this race is already such good value compared to the Rock n'Roll Half Marathon the previous month.

Would that really influence someone's decision to do the race- a medal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Ososlo wrote: »
    Would that really influence someone's decision to do the race- a medal?
    a picture of a medal beats a picture of a garmin and a water bottle anyday...

• Advertisement

ultraman1 wrote: »
    a picture of a medal beats a picture of a garmin and a water bottle anyday...

As silly as it sounds, I do actually think it will make a difference! We are so fickle!

Quite a buzz around the decision on social media. Lots of people commenting and inviting friends to join based on that announcement. Not sure of numbers but I imagine if you are thinking about this to try and reg soon.

The race series really is amazing value. So glad I signed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

what are these races/courses like for setting PBs, I'm specifically looking at the 10KM and the half.

Anybody got any garmin maps for the courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

tommycahir wrote: »
    what are these races/courses like for setting PBs, I'm specifically looking at the 10KM and the half.

Anybody got any garmin maps for the courses?

this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Thanks for the profiles, My other question still stands is it even feasible to consider running a PB of <50min in 10KM and <1:55 in Half in these races or would crowds be too much?

Obviously the training for those times will be a given just don't want to enter and find that I have wasted time and Money because the crowds and other factors were never conducive to a PB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Thanks for the profiles, My other question still stands is it even feasible to consider running a PB of <50min in 10KM and <1:55 in Half in these races or would crowds be too much?

Obviously the training for those times will be a given just don't want to enter and find that I have wasted time and Money because the crowds and other factors were never conducive to a PB.
    run faster than usual and u will pb,don't be looking for excuses,, édit..not meanin to sound harsh

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Thanks for the profiles, My other question still stands is it even feasible to consider running a PB of <50min in 10KM and <1:55 in Half in these races

yes, of course. Position yourself correctly and the crowds will thin out soon enough, the courses are not superfast but they're fair, and in the half you can hang on to the 1:50 pacers

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭vanderlyle

Running with crowds and big groups can actually be more beneficial - there will always someone to run with/work with/hide behind against the breeze/catch ahead of you. The very early stages of these races are always tight, but as Ray said they thin out quickly. For example in the 10K last year, once we turned the corner at the first roundabout at about 0.6km, there was plenty space from there on. I got a PB in that race last year.
    http://dublinmarathon.ie/s/SSE-AT-DRS15-F10K-MAP.pdf

The race series HM route is better than fair IMO. You get the wind at your back and the gradual downhill for the length of chesterfield avenue. I'm looking forward to it again this year - it's the only one of the race series that I'm planning to do this year.

Was showing a colleague how to register today for the race series and I just noticed there is an extra race in the series?

Anyone know what this is about!? Look at the last race listed on this page:

https://em.eventmaster.ie/client/bundle_step1.html?bundleId=4

'The international friendship run' anyone know anything about this? Distance? Location?

I assume it's the breakfast run the day before the marathon, no idea why they are charging for it, it's usually free, maybe if you are not running the marathon they charge for it. It's about 5K/3miles. T-Shirt and breakfast included. Pretty good last year up around fairview park and starting and finishing in Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Was showing a colleague how to register today for the race series and I just noticed there is an extra race in the series?

Anyone know what this is about!? Look at the last race listed on this page:

https://em.eventmaster.ie/client/bundle_step1.html?bundleId=4

'The international friendship run' anyone know anything about this? Distance? Location?

http://sseairtricitydublinmarathon.ie/breakfast-run/

Do non-tourists who are running the marathon do this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

Really looking forward to these races. I got all 4 for €60 by clicking on the 'all 5 races' bundle then unclicking the Marathon. Hoping the t-shirts are better than they were last year and go back to the quality of previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭saucyjack

Singer wrote: »
    http://sseairtricitydublinmarathon.ie/breakfast-run/

Do non-tourists who are running the marathon do this?

Quite a few locals run it too - some of the plans advise a short leg-loosener shortly before the marathon and it's a nice way of releasing some of the pre-marathon nerves/madness ....as long as you take it very easy.

Just saw this:

"Also for the first time ever, we will have a bike park at all our race series events so if you want to avoid the road closures and additional traffic that morning then why not hop on your bike and avail of this great facility."

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

I am just wondering about the race pack. How big is it? Will it fit through the letter box? I am not at home by day so worried I'll have trouble getting it!?

Can anyone help?

It's roughly an A4 size envelope. If you signed up for more than one of the races, all of them will be in one envelope, but not at all bulky.

Tec Diver wrote: »
    It's roughly an A4 size envelope. If you signed up for more than one of the races, all of them will be in one envelope, but not at all bulky.

Yeah thanks have them all. They folded them into a normal sized envelope that will fit into any post box so it was great. Very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

The Swords 10k is defo a PB possible. I knocked two minutes off mine last year which brought it to 52mins.

The thing is, from more or less the get go you are on the swords by pass which is three lanes wide and that continues on for a couple K so you can pass people till your heart is content.

Your legs are conducive to a PB, crowds and other factors are secondary really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Hi guys ,

Are there any pacers for the 10k?

Thanks
    Blue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Bluesquare wrote:
    Are there any pacers for the 10k?

No, I don't think so. Only for the half.
    The 10km will have waves.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

Hopefully people start in the correct places this year. I spent first couple of km's last year passing people who were walking & still in the village, or just approaching the dual carriageway. I started at the 50 minute wave, so I'm no mo farah myself

It's annoying even for me, so god knows what it's like for the club runners when that happens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

colin32 wrote: »
    It's annoying even for me, so god knows what it's like for the club runners when that happens

Sometimes it's the club runners causing the congestion. ;)

Advertisement