Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSE Race Series 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Psychosis wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Does anyone know the situation with bike parking for the half marathon on Saturday? Where it is exactly and if there is usually enough space

The website just says close to the start area :(

If I recall correctly from the 10miler they had a fenced area with bike racks i.e. cross poles that you can hang your bike on by the saddle. One way in one way out and entrance had a steward on it, I think. This was located just near the information desk and the bag drop on Furze Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

smashiner wrote: »
    Hi AQ,
    Dunno if the 2 hills are the same as I never did the 10 Mile......the appearance money was too low and my agent turned it down ;)

Chris85, this hill starts at the Chapelizod gate at the side of the park and is a steady incline for a few minutes, it is more down to fact of where it is in the race.....near the end when people are tired.
    The good news is that when you get to the top of it, the last bit is flat to the finish line......best of luck ......might see you there, I am planning to pace it with a friend as his first HM and aiming for around 1:55- 2:00.

AQ, are you doing this one??.....if so see you there

Yeah aiming for 2:00 finish myself I hope. This one looks set to be nice dry day and hopefully will keep cool enough in the morning. Done Cork HM in June and pissed rain all day. Hoping for bit better this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Psychosis

FBOT01 wrote: »
    If I recall correctly from the 10miler they had a fenced area with bike racks i.e. cross poles that you can hang your bike on by the saddle. One way in one way out and entrance had a steward on it, I think. This was located just near the information desk and the bag drop on Furze Road.

Super thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

The Hill!
    The hill at the end is very manageable, I've paced 1:40 for the last few years and the strategy always is to:
    * Keep the pace fairly even up to 9 miles (around where your re enter onto Chesterfield after the little diversion)
    * You then have about 2.5 miles net downhill, this is a pretty quick section and I would bank about 20-30secs here.
    * Run even effort up the Upper Glen Road, giving back some of the time you've banked.
    * Gun it for the last flat fast 800m if you have anything left in the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I find that simply knowing about the hill sets me up to deal with it. I did the MoRunning 10k last year, and the zig-zag hill in Phoenix Park nearly killed me the first loop, but it was fine on the second loop as I knew about it. This deadly hill seems to be for the last 3/4 of a mile, which is about 6 minutes running for me. I can power through that! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    The Hill!
    The hill at the end is very manageable, I've paced 1:40 for the last few years and the strategy always is to:
    * Keep the pace fairly even up to 9 miles (around where your re enter onto Chesterfield after the little diversion)
    * You then have about 2.5 miles net downhill, this is a pretty quick section and I would bank about 20-30secs here.
    * Run even effort up the Upper Glen Road, giving back some of the time you've banked.
    * Gun it for the last flat fast 800m if you have anything left in the tank.

That's all well and good, but how are you fixed for a piggyback ;) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    That's all well and good, but how are you fixed for a piggyback ;) ?

He got through the half OK last year so you shouldn't need to carry him over the line, BG :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Anyone here still waiting on their number for the half to arrive ? Starting to get a bit concerned for Mrs Mules race entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Anyone here still waiting on their number for the half to arrive ? Starting to get a bit concerned for Mrs Mules race entry.

From a discussion on the DCM mentored novices thread, it seems that there was a batch posted out mid last week (mine included) and received iirc on Wednesday/Thursday last.

It would be pushing it very close for them to deliberately leave it this late because it gives them no margin for error. I'd be getting on to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

My entry was processed late, so I have been told to go along to the customer services tent on the morning and pick my number up there.

They were really helpful via raceseries@dublinmarathon.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Got mine last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Cheers for the replies - number turned up today !

A little off topic but Ireland V Canada game is at 2.30pm. Unsure if will get time to get home and go somewhere else for it.

Any idea where close to race can jump into and watch match and wont look too out of place in race gear (well change into Ireland top) and has some atmosphere for the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm not sure if it'll be showing the match, but the Hole in the Wall pub would be frequently jammed with people post-race and it's a short enough walk from the finish.

seamus wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it'll be showing the match, but the Hole in the Wall pub would be frequently jammed with people post-race and it's a short enough walk from the finish.

Yeah was thinking of there alright. May pop in post race for a few beers for the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭vanderlyle

chris85 wrote: »
    A little off topic but Ireland V Canada game is at 2.30pm. Unsure if will get time to get home and go somewhere else for it.

Any idea where close to race can jump into and watch match and wont look too out of place in race gear (well change into Ireland top) and has some atmosphere for the match.

Mullingar House in chapelizod is another option close by. They show sports + do food. Never been in there after a race, so I've no idea how busy it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

vanderlyle wrote: »
    Mullingar House in chapelizod is another option close by. They show sports + do food. Never been in there after a race, so I've no idea how busy it would be.

Myo's in Castleknock village is a good option too, 2 minute drive from the Castleknock gate, doesn't be too jammed (normally), parking is ok too. Think I might be going there for a medicinal ....or two..... afterwards with a few lads after the race.

smashiner wrote: »
    Myo's in Castleknock village is a good option too, 2 minute drive from the Castleknock gate, doesn't be too jammed (normally), parking is ok too. Think I might be going there for a medicinal ....or two..... afterwards with a few lads after the race.

Is MYOs any good for sports? May have time to nip home and get a taxi back there in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Is MYOs any good for sports? May have time to nip home and get a taxi back there in time.

It's not my local as I am a Southsoider, I need special passport to travel to the Noirthsoide.....:D

I have been in it a few times post a run (SPAR 10K, DMH etc) and it seems to have a lot of screens and Premiership matches on etc, so I would imagine that they would show the Rugby on Saturday as it will no doubt draw a big crowd.

Does anyone else on Boards drink in Myo's that can shed a light on what it would be like for the Rugby??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭ooter

Ryan's parkgate street, best food in the area and it's a rugby pub, was in there after the HM in 2013 and there was a good few people in there proudly wearing their t shirt and medal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

I am tackling my first half marathon this Saturday,the nerves and a feckin head cold have kicked in !!
    I have done the distance a few times on my training plan, I am hoping it goes well for me on Saturday.
    Any recommendations to help shift a head cold which wont leave me in a heap for Saturday ?

Looking forward to completing it ( I hope ) , will be a massive achievement for me to get this done.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭vanderlyle

andrew1977 wrote: »
    I am tackling my first half marathon this Saturday,the nerves and a feckin head cold have kicked in !!
    I have done the distance a few times on my training plan, I am hoping it goes well for me on Saturday.
    Any recommendations to help shift a head cold which wont leave me in a heap for Saturday ?

Looking forward to completing it ( I hope ) , will be a massive achievement for me to get this done.

I don't know of any shortcut to getting rid of a head cold. But give your body the best chance of fighting it by eating as healthily as possible and make sure to get plenty sleep. Bed early!

Good luck with the half. What plan did you follow and do you have a goal in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

andrew1977 wrote: »

Good luck Andrew, hope you enjoy your moment - finishing your first half marathon!

Echo above advice from Van. Rest up and stock up on vit C and zinc? Don't think there is much else? Maybe get some vicks and start so you can breath through your nose again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

vanderlyle wrote: »
    I don't know of any shortcut to getting rid of a head cold. But give your body the best chance of fighting it by eating as healthily as possible and make sure to get plenty sleep. Bed early!

Good luck with the half. What plan did you follow and do you have a goal in mind?

Thanks for the advice

I joined my local athletic club fit for life group in January, my weight/fitness had got completely out of control.
    Aimed to get to 5k comfortably which I did, tackled a 10k race in may, then got the urge to just keep on going.
    Signed up for the fingal 10k and noticed the reduced price if I took another race, so I plummeted for the half marathon.
    Once I signed up, no turning back and I have trained and trained to the best of my ability.
    Hoping (fingers crossed ) to get it done in under 2 hours on Saturday.
    It will be a massive achievement personally for me to get over the line this Saturday considering my starting point in January
    My local club, the support they have given me and my own determination to put things right with myself have been a huge factor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Anyone else going with the 1:50 pacers?
    I did this in 2:01 last year but have been training really hard since and I am hoping to go under 1:50.
    My times at all distances has improved since last year. 5k for example has gone from 25'14 to 22'56
    Will the 1:50 pacers be aiming for slightly under 1:50?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Casey78 wrote: »
    Will the 1:50 pacers be aiming for slightly under 1:50?

Yeah we'll be aiming for 1:49:xx, (though closer to 1:50 than 1:49). Just to be sure; ensure you start off just behind or level with us, then if you finish in front or beside you'll definitely be under 1:50.
    I believe we will be starting from the second wave.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Cheers thanks menoscemo.
    Still not sure if I can actually keep the pace up for 13.1 miles but I'll give it a right go.
    Anything under 2:01 will be a PB anyways :D but I'm sure I can at least knock 7-8 mins off that time from last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AAD

I'm really looking forward to this on Saturday,

Like @andrew1977 I only started running this year (end of march) and have completed a couple of 5k and 10k races before doing the Rock and Roll half followed by the ten mile. So fingers crossed I can go a bit quicker on Saturday. Anything around two hours and I will be a happy camper.

How many people do you recon will take part??

And for a bar showing the rugby the Anglers Rest should be showing it afterwards. I generally park in their car park and run in as a warm up for the race (after the hill of course)

Good luck to everyone taking part.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Still undertrained for this, longest run I've done is still the Frank Duffy. But we'll see how we go. /sandbagging :D

I got lucky in that my new job is slightly further away, so on the one day a week I run in (and out) I end up doing 2 x 10km runs that day. So still not a full half or even 15km, but a decent distance in one day, which has gotten progressively easier (i.e. my legs aren't dying the next day).

Reckon I'll try to "disconnect" earlier in the race, that might help me last the distance. Last time it was 10km before I managed to forget about what my legs were doing and just let them do their thing. If I can do that earlier on, I should be able to go all the way.

That last 5km looks like an absolute bitch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

menoscemo wrote: »
    Yeah we'll be aiming for 1:49:xx, (though closer to 1:50 than 1:49). Just to be sure; ensure you start off just behind or level with us, then if you finish in front or beside you'll definitely be under 1:50.
    I believe we will be starting from the second wave.

Hello, do you know what wave the 1.40 pacers are starting at? I was considering going with them. I just don't know, I did the 10-mile in 71.xx, but I'm worried about that extra 3.1 miles. Maybe I will go with the 1.40s for a while and see how I feel? Anyone particularly charismatic pacing 1.40? :):):pac:

Advertisement