Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSE Race Series 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Hello, do you know what wave the 1.40 pacers are starting at? I was considering going with them. I just don't know, I did the 10-mile in 71.xx, but I'm worried about that extra 3.1 miles. Maybe I will go with the 1.40s for a while and see how I feel? Anyone particularly charismatic pacing 1.40? :):):pac:

71:xx would see you come in at 1:35 for the half according to McMillan so 1:40 should be well within your reach. Start with the 1:40 pacers and see how you feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

71:xx would see you come in at 1:35 for the half according to McMillan so 1:40 should be well within your reach. Start with the 1:40 pacers and see how you feel.

Macmillan & I have a chequered history :). I never believe a word he says when it gets to the longer distances. My half-m PB is 1.37, last year I ran 1.41 ... I just don't want to mis-pace it and end up crawling home. I'll start with the 1.40s and decide after a few miles how I feel. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Macmillan & I have a chequered history :). I never believe a word he says when it gets to the longer distances. My half-m PB is 1.37, last year I ran 1.41 ... I just don't want to mis-pace it and end up crawling home. I'll start with the 1.40s and decide after a few miles how I feel. Thanks!

You'll have a local face for the 1:40 as Killerz is doing it with Beep Beep I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Hello, do you know what wave the 1.40 pacers are starting at? I was considering going with them. I just don't know, I did the 10-mile in 71.xx, but I'm worried about that extra 3.1 miles. Maybe I will go with the 1.40s for a while and see how I feel? Anyone particularly charismatic pacing 1.40? :):):pac:
    aquinn wrote: »
    You'll have a local face for the 1:40 as Killerz is doing it with Beep Beep I believe.

Nobody particularly charismatic I am afraid, HelenAnne, unless of course Murph decides to stay with the group :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

I have a question if I may please.

I hope to do it under the 2 hour mark. I have a time in my head as a target, but race day might not go to plan .

Should I run it with the 1.50 pacer or the 2 hour pacer ?

Just in case I end up in the middle time wise, I don't want to run out of steam too early .

What would people advise ? Stick with the 2 hour pacer and up it if I need it.?

Thanks folks

• Advertisement

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Nobody particularly charismatic I am afraid, HelenAnne, unless of course Murph decides to stay with the group :D

What time is Murph going for? Maybe I will use HIM as a pacer! :)

Also, FBOT, I remember you cruelly dropping me from your pace group last year when I slowed down to get a drink ... you all ran on very quickly and I couldn't catch you :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

You'll already know Killerz :)
    We haven't been given final instructions yet about waves, but for the last 2 years they have been at the front of wave 2.
    For a number of reasons you should be nowhere near them at any point and certainly not at the start :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

andrew1977 wrote: »
    I have a question if I may please.

I hope to do it under the 2 hour mark. I have a time in my head as a target, but race day might not go to plan .

Should I run it with the 1.50 pacer or the 2 hour pacer ?

Just in case I end up in the middle time wise, I don't want to run out of steam too early .

What would people advise ? Stick with the 2 hour pacer and up it if I need it.?

Thanks folks

Definitely start with the 2 hour pacer. Better to start slow and push on at a later stage than start too fast and have a painful experience. That strategy might work in a shorter race but it won't in a half.

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Definitely start with the 2 hour pacer. Better to start slow and push on at a later stage than start too fast and have a painful experience. That strategy might work in a shorter race but it won't in a half.

I definitely agree! Go with the 2 hours! In the Frank Duffy 10 mile I consciously held back a little for the first 6-7 miles at least and I'm glad I did. I was still wrecked at the end, but I managed to increase my pace over the last 3 miles, and mile 9-10 was my fastest and I ran a PB. I think if I'd gone as fast as I felt I could in the first 5 miles it would have been a very different story!

Stick with the 2 hours for 7 miles or so, and if you feel good, gradually push on.

menoscemo wrote: »
    You'll already know Killerz :)
    We haven't been given final instructions yet about waves, but for the last 2 years they have been at the front of wave 2.
    For a number of reasons you should be nowhere near them at any point and certainly not at the start :)

Thanks for the wave info! Killerz is v charismatic!! But maybe I won't start with them, I don't want him mocking my compression socks. Or people thinking I'm running with his as some kind of assignation!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

What time is Murph going for? Maybe I will use HIM as a pacer! :)

Also, FBOT, I remember you cruelly dropping me from your pace group last year when I slowed down to get a drink ... you all ran on very quickly and I couldn't catch you :(

I'll be going for 1:37:xx. I plan to start just in front of the 1:40 group and ease away. Happy to keep you company for a while until you tear off and leave me in the dust as usual. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Killerz reads this thread occasionally too... in between swatting up on how to get some charisma ;)

Looking forward to Saturday now - compression socks, bungys (sic), FBOT (whatever an 'FBOT' is) and all others, except menos welcome to join the party bus... BEEP BEEP!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Killerz wrote: »
    Killerz reads this thread occasionally too... in between swatting up on how to get some charisma ;)

Looking forward to Saturday now - compression socks, bungys (sic), FBOT (whatever an 'FBOT' is) and all others, except menos welcome to join the party bus... BEEP BEEP!

BeepBeep says hello

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Murph_D wrote: »
    I'll be going for 1:37:xx. I plan to start just in front of the 1:40 group and ease away. Happy to keep you company for a while until you tear off and leave me in the dust as usual. :pac:

So that's an unofficial boards 1:35 pacing bus sorted anyone else joining them :pac::pac:

Killerz wrote: »

Aw, sounds like fun. Maybe I should get on the party bus after all.

But then again,
    FBOT01 wrote: »
    So that's an unofficial boards 1:35 pacing bus sorted anyone else joining them :pac::pac:

Lots of room, Mark, jump right in. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Murph_D wrote:
    Lots of room, Mark, jump right in.

Don't steal him from me D. He needs an easy run and I could do with a personal pacer.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Aw, sounds like fun. Maybe I should get on the party bus after all.

But then again,

Lots of room, Mark, jump right in. ;)

There will be loads of room on that 1.35 bus as I won't be on it! I haven't been marathon training! I am just going to try to pace myself and get around in one piece. My real aim is to run fast at the Rathfarnham 5k the week after.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭ooter

andrew1977 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice

I joined my local athletic club fit for life group in January, my weight/fitness had got completely out of control.
    Aimed to get to 5k comfortably which I did, tackled a 10k race in may, then got the urge to just keep on going.
    Signed up for the fingal 10k and noticed the reduced price if I took another race, so I plummeted for the half marathon.
    Once I signed up, no turning back and I have trained and trained to the best of my ability.
    Hoping (fingers crossed ) to get it done in under 2 hours on Saturday.
    It will be a massive achievement personally for me to get over the line this Saturday considering my starting point in January
    My local club, the support they have given me and my own determination to put things right with myself have been a huge factor.

Well done Andrew and best of luck tomorrow, sub 2 hours for a first HM is a very respectable time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Who are the 2 hour pacers?

frash wrote: »
    Who are the 2 hour pacers?

Marthastew and Joe. They'll be hard to miss. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

ooter wrote: »
    Well done Andrew and best of luck tomorrow, sub 2 hours for a first HM is a very respectable time.

Thank you and thanks to all the advice and well wishers on here.

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow and everyone gets round safe and sound and happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Weather looking to be warm enough and no rain so it seems. 3 water station could be cutting it fine.

Hope they have the fire truck out again on 2nd lap with fountain of water spraying out. Was savage for the 10 miler.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

chris85 wrote: »
    Weather looking to be warm enough and no rain so it seems. 3 water station could be cutting it fine.

Hope they have the fire truck out again on 2nd lap with fountain of water spraying out. Was savage for the 10 miler.

They have bottles though, so it shouldn't be too bad. I'm used to carrying something.

Temps seem okay 13-15 throughout the race with 46% to 51% cloud cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

chrislad wrote: »
    They have bottles though, so it shouldn't be too bad. I'm used to carrying something.

Temps seem okay 13-15 throughout the race with 46% to 51% cloud cover.

Bottle will help but have other half with water + gel at certain spot so should be ok. I get fairly warm on runs. Not much for wind also thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

chris85 wrote: »
    Bottle will help but have other half with water + gel at certain spot so should be ok. I get fairly warm on runs. Not much for wind also thankfully.

I'm the same. I generally go through a litre or so on runs longer than 16 miles. The worst part for me is that I won't be home until close to 5pm so I'll be stinky most of the day. Still, at least that gets me the carriage home to myself! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

chrislad wrote: »
    I'm the same. I generally go through a litre or so on runs longer than 16 miles. The worst part for me is that I won't be home until close to 5pm so I'll be stinky most of the day. Still, at least that gets me the carriage home to myself! :D

:eek:

Baby wipes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Best of luck to everyone running tomorrow! Unfortunately I won't be taking part, so have opted for a spot of Parkrun volunteering :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I plan on going with the 1:40 group myself did this in 1:43 last year, would be going for a PB but maybe 3 min is to much. Sure I will see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭brennarr

Aiming for sub 1:40 myself. Only ever done one HM before and done that in 1:30 but I was training a bit better then but I'll see how it goes tomorrow.

Looking forward to it - hope it's not too warm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

1:40 bus for me too - I'll use it as a (Dublin) marathon-pace run rather than a HM race effort. The first mile down the Kyber Road being so narrow and crowded means I should stick to that!

Advertisement