Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSE Race Series 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    :eek:

Baby wipes!

I know. It was a jest. :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Let's just call the 1:40 group the boards group.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 amabs

Best of luck all, its a great race from memory been a few years since i've done it. I'll be proudly debuting my Donore Harriers singlet, quite a legacy that jersey has! Whats peoples view on the use of gels? I'm of mind to skip these, as i detest them but be interested to hear what everyones doing.?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

amabs wrote: »
    Best of luck all, its a great race from memory been a few years since i've done it. I'll be proudly debuting my Donore Harriers singlet, quite a legacy that jersey has! Whats peoples view on the use of gels? I'm of mind to skip these, as i detest them but be interested to hear what everyones doing.?

Technically don't need them but I'll be using them tomorrow as practice for DCM, it can be tricky taking a gel when your exhausted and still moving!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Yeh not really required for a HM but I'll probably take one just before we turn into the park for that placebo effect tackling the Upper Glen Road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭vanderlyle

Yet another for the 1:40 crew! Plan is for 3 or 4 easy miles before and the HM at marathon pace. Just have to find my number now in the rubble that is my house - new windows & front door in this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Best of luck to all those running the HM tomorrow. Have a good one and.....ENJOY!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 amabs

Agreed, think they aren't needed for the half but prob good to get used to them with amsterdam 4 wks away. I'm aiming to start off 4:05-4:10 min/km pace, hopefully pick up a bit of pace after the farmleigh exit (chesterfield avenue), steady effort up the hill then give it socks till the finish!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Going for a couple of Gels as I have been training with them on long runs. Definitely one about 10-10.5 mile mark for the hill finish. Perhaps a placebo effect but like to have them.

Aiming at 2:00 finish. Ran 1st HM in Cork in 1:59 in horrid rain and wind but my training prep was perhaps a bit better as have been busy moving into new house the last while but feeling good for it. Will keep with 2 hour pacers and see how i go for the first half of it and then see about kicking on a little but mindful of keeping something in the tank for the hill. have ran the hill a few times in the last week and feel ok for it.

Really looking forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Pacer waves for Half mara

The 1.30 pacers will go in Wave 1.
    The 1.40 pacers will start at the start of wave 2
    The 1.50 in the middle of wave 2
    The 2.00 pacers at the start of wave 3
    2:10,2:20 + 2:30 will position accordingly in wave 3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

ultraman1 wrote: »
    Pacer waves for Half mara

The 1.30 pacers will go in Wave 1.
    The 1.40 pacers will start at the start of wave 2
    The 1.50 in the middle of wave 2
    The 2.00 pacers at the start of wave 3
    2:10,2:20 + 2:30 will position accordingly in wave 3

any idea of the time difference between waves? would it be 1-2 mins or longer than that? (for spectator calculations :) )

Firedance wrote: »
    any idea of the time difference between waves? would it be 1-2 mins or longer than that? (for spectator calculations :) )
    Couple of mins at most

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Trampas

Is it true the 1.50 pacers are carrying a cooler bag on their backs to give out drinks to runners as needed and be restocking at each water station?

Trampas wrote: »
    Is it true the 1.50 pacers are carrying a cooler bag on their backs to give out drinks to runners as needed and be restocking at each water station?

Gluten free water and will prob do a few fast miles so dey can stop for sum yoga :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Trampas wrote: »

All the bags are the same, the 1:50 crew don't have cooler ones!

:pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

The 3:50 pacers in DCM14 had a radio which I thought was a great idea, not that I heard it much as for most of it I was well ahead of them then behind them coming to the finish..:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭ooter

1:40 bus for me too - I'll use it as a (Dublin) marathon-pace run rather than a HM race effort. The first mile down the Kyber Road being so narrow and crowded means I should stick to that!

Planning on doing this myself as i'm just back from a brief layoff, won't be anywhere near my PB but if I can come in under 1:35 I'll be very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Sleep well my sub 1:40 targetting friends and see you all in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Good luck luck to every running the half later today as part of the race series. I want to see lots of race reports over the coming days. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Nice to see GOH back racing this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Does anyone know how the guy is doing that was being tended to just before the finish line? ..it didn't look good :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Fair play to the 1:40 pacer who kept shouting support and whipping up the crowd every time the 1:40 bus was coming through. Funny to hear less and less response from the runners to his chants as the race went on, especially the last 3k. Don't take it personally, everyone wanted to respond but we couldn't :D

Very busy race, difficult to keep pace on the tight sections as it bunched up very badly. Especially coming down the Khyber Pass (?), what should be a good descent to pick up a lot of seconds with little effort, instead the pace was very neutralised with thousands of people coming down it (and some idiots out for a walk with their back to the runners at one point).

Great organisation though, the Phoenix Park runs operate like military exercises at this point.

Gave myself a target of 1:40 - 1:45 and came in with a chip time of 1:39:11, so delighted with that. Completely dead though. Had to rest my head on the steel barrier for a few seconds after crossing the line :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Finished at 1:55:17, I'd set a target on 2:00, considering my last half was 2:11:52 (Clontarf) I can happily say I smashed my time.

That was a nice route and really well organised, I hope everyone else enjoyed it as much as I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

seamus wrote: »

Very busy race, difficult to keep pace on the tight sections as it bunched up very badly. Especially coming down the Khyber Pass (?), what should be a good descent to pick up a lot of seconds with little effort, instead the pace was very neutralised with thousands of people coming down it (and some idiots out for a walk with their back to the runners at one point).
    :D

Yeah was pretty congested at the start all right, I think those walkers were actually doing the half. Was trying to keep with the 1:40 pacers at the start but had to let them off and slowly crept back and caught up around 9 miles. Couldn't believe when I saw 2 people stop and walk right in the middle of the road after only a mile - wtf!!

Great day at the office for me, came in 1:38:55 with little effort - kept waiting for the struggle that usually kicks in around mile 10 but it never came so kicked on for last mile. Big thanks to the 1:40 pacers - I just kept visual on the balloons and used that for my pace.

Great organisation as always, anyone else think that traffic was very light afterwards? Usually stuck in traffic for ages getting out of the park but flew out today? Must be a carlsberg day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

I wanted a sub 1:50 and was cruising as we came out of the park. I had 20 mins to run the last 2 miles but I ran out of juice at the hill, and then the 1:50 pacers overtook me as we headed towards the finish line. Gutted.... 1:50:05

Superb race as always. Amazing turn out of support. Not sure I've ever seen it so busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Phoole wrote: »
    I wanted a sub 1:50 and was cruising as we came out of the park. I had 20 mins to run the last 2 miles but I ran out of juice at the hill, and then the 1:50 pacers overtook me as we headed towards the finish line. Gutted.... 1:50:05

Superb race as always. Amazing turn out of support. Not sure I've ever seen it so busy.
    I did a minute over my PB, was going great til my knee gave out and I slowed down from 12-13...also slightly gutted but ****it, we did well to get out in the first place! Proud of you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

fletch wrote: »
    Does anyone know how the guy is doing that was being tended to just before the finish line? ..it didn't look good :-(

yeah I saw that. The ambulance was coming up just as I passed. I couldn't see very well but they were getting CPR. Looked awful. I wasn't sure if it was a man or a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Hopefully that person is okay. I saw him or her on the gurney about mile 12 for me.

The race went well enough for me for the first 11 miles. I stuck with the two hour pacers until about mile 11.5 and I just couldn't keep up. Those last two miles were very tough. I finished in 2:03:29. I'm happy enough with that. It's my 3rd HM race ever, my first one being April this year. First one was 2:27, second was 2:11 so there's definitely been good improvements. I set pbs for 10k, 10 mile and 20k too so happy overall, but fair tired!

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Where are the results? Can't find them

Well done everyone. I was out supporting and it was a great mornings run (to watch!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

seamus wrote: »
    Fair play to the 1:40 pacer who kept shouting support and whipping up the crowd every time the 1:40 bus was coming through. Funny to hear less and less response from the runners to his chants as the race went on, especially the last 3k. Don't take it personally, everyone wanted to respond but we couldn't :D

No offence taken ;)

Advertisement